GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"If gaming...... could kill!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 31/10/01 at 23:14
Regular
Ok, so we all know cigaretes kill us, yet we continue to smoke. Alcohol poisons you, yet thats why we drink it!?! Cars have been killing people for years, yet aside from a handful of soap dodging hippies, no-one seems to be taking any form of stand - let alone an active one. Mobile phones induce brain tumours and are possibly the most popular item of social dress out there (its true- give someone a choice between a pair of servicable shoes to replace the bags on their feet or a mobile and we've one more shoeless idiot impressing us with ringtones)!

Addiction is clearly responsible for parts of this, lazyness and ignorance also play large parts.

So my question is this; What would you do if it was found that gaming could cause you serious damage to your health? As it stands, gaming isn't particularly lethal at all. It's the runner up in the "what makes you keep your fat stupid bum on the sofa" games (top spot, of course going to the TV). Gaming has become socially acceptable (the industry has started making a lot of money), so its no longer considered a past time of geeks and thus you can play games AND have a girlfriend, which means the planet will stay safely populated. Providing you leave your house and exercise your eyes by looking at stuff, they should remain fairly undamaged by gaming.

Yep, I think its fair to say gaming is in a pretty good spot health wise. Complacency will soon set in and soon it'll be completely considered an as viable use of time as listening to Frank Sinatra or watching Eastenders.
Lets face it, for a lot of us here, its our primary source of entertainment, sod TV!

But what if it was announced tomorrow that "Gaming harms your unborn child! Gaming reduces your sperm count! Gaming causes blindness, tone deafness and occasionally mumps!"
How many of us would stop? Smoking can cause all of the above (except tone deafness) and yet millions of people completely disregard this, and fair enough.

Personally, I think gaming is too bigger part of my life to cut out. Ok, I wouldn't play games around the children, I'd try to cut down and I wouldn't play on handhelds or arcades (gaming in public). But I genuinely think that - whether addicted or not, I'm now just too stuck in my ways to give it up.

Luckily, as yet, this is not a reality we have to court. But the day may yet come.

Have a think about it. Could you just drop it? Hang up your pad, so to speak? Or would you, like me and all those smokers drinkers, drivers and mobile phone users - think to yourself "it won't happen to me" and then just get on with it and hope for the best?

Thanks for reading/ skimming through/ ignoring.

Its been a pleasure.

Tarrant
Wed 31/10/01 at 23:14
Ok, so we all know cigaretes kill us, yet we continue to smoke. Alcohol poisons you, yet thats why we drink it!?! Cars have been killing people for years, yet aside from a handful of soap dodging hippies, no-one seems to be taking any form of stand - let alone an active one. Mobile phones induce brain tumours and are possibly the most popular item of social dress out there (its true- give someone a choice between a pair of servicable shoes to replace the bags on their feet or a mobile and we've one more shoeless idiot impressing us with ringtones)!

Addiction is clearly responsible for parts of this, lazyness and ignorance also play large parts.

So my question is this; What would you do if it was found that gaming could cause you serious damage to your health? As it stands, gaming isn't particularly lethal at all. It's the runner up in the "what makes you keep your fat stupid bum on the sofa" games (top spot, of course going to the TV). Gaming has become socially acceptable (the industry has started making a lot of money), so its no longer considered a past time of geeks and thus you can play games AND have a girlfriend, which means the planet will stay safely populated. Providing you leave your house and exercise your eyes by looking at stuff, they should remain fairly undamaged by gaming.

Yep, I think its fair to say gaming is in a pretty good spot health wise. Complacency will soon set in and soon it'll be completely considered an as viable use of time as listening to Frank Sinatra or watching Eastenders.
Lets face it, for a lot of us here, its our primary source of entertainment, sod TV!

But what if it was announced tomorrow that "Gaming harms your unborn child! Gaming reduces your sperm count! Gaming causes blindness, tone deafness and occasionally mumps!"
How many of us would stop? Smoking can cause all of the above (except tone deafness) and yet millions of people completely disregard this, and fair enough.

Personally, I think gaming is too bigger part of my life to cut out. Ok, I wouldn't play games around the children, I'd try to cut down and I wouldn't play on handhelds or arcades (gaming in public). But I genuinely think that - whether addicted or not, I'm now just too stuck in my ways to give it up.

Luckily, as yet, this is not a reality we have to court. But the day may yet come.

Have a think about it. Could you just drop it? Hang up your pad, so to speak? Or would you, like me and all those smokers drinkers, drivers and mobile phone users - think to yourself "it won't happen to me" and then just get on with it and hope for the best?

Thanks for reading/ skimming through/ ignoring.

Its been a pleasure.

Tarrant
Wed 31/10/01 at 23:23
Regular
Gaming can be hamfull hence the warnings about only playing it for an hour, it causes headaches i dunno about anything else.

Anyway good post.
Wed 31/10/01 at 23:32
Woohoo! my point already underlined!

Not only was I completely oblivious to that fact, but I already know that I'm not about to limit myself to an hour of gaming!

And how many of you play for only an hour?

Exactly!
Wed 31/10/01 at 23:55
Regular
Gaming can ruin your eye-sight. Well, thats what my parents keep telling me....
Thu 01/11/01 at 09:42
Regular
Gaming isn't really bad for you unless you over do it - it's like anything else in this world.

I know I'm over doing it and I don't care.
Thu 01/11/01 at 09:48
Regular
The only way gaming is unhealthy is if you do it so much you don't get any excerices.

That is when you'll start to get fat, go a bit smelly, and generally lose whatever friends you had.
Thu 01/11/01 at 11:15
Well, you've all beatifully side stepped the question.

Well done.
Thu 01/11/01 at 11:21
Regular
Ok, to answer the question then:

I would have no problems at all giving up gaming. I'd find it harder to give up surfing the 'net, and I'd find it almost impossible to give up listening to music.

But as for gaming? Well, I don't think it would be that hard.
Thu 01/11/01 at 11:24
Fair.

*ball is rolling*
Thu 01/11/01 at 18:13
Regular
"I like cheese"
I would find it harder to give up the Internet rather than gaming, but I much prefer to give up listening to music than to gaming.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.