GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"If gaming...... could kill!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 31/10/01 at 23:14
Regular
Ok, so we all know cigaretes kill us, yet we continue to smoke. Alcohol poisons you, yet thats why we drink it!?! Cars have been killing people for years, yet aside from a handful of soap dodging hippies, no-one seems to be taking any form of stand - let alone an active one. Mobile phones induce brain tumours and are possibly the most popular item of social dress out there (its true- give someone a choice between a pair of servicable shoes to replace the bags on their feet or a mobile and we've one more shoeless idiot impressing us with ringtones)!

Addiction is clearly responsible for parts of this, lazyness and ignorance also play large parts.

So my question is this; What would you do if it was found that gaming could cause you serious damage to your health? As it stands, gaming isn't particularly lethal at all. It's the runner up in the "what makes you keep your fat stupid bum on the sofa" games (top spot, of course going to the TV). Gaming has become socially acceptable (the industry has started making a lot of money), so its no longer considered a past time of geeks and thus you can play games AND have a girlfriend, which means the planet will stay safely populated. Providing you leave your house and exercise your eyes by looking at stuff, they should remain fairly undamaged by gaming.

Yep, I think its fair to say gaming is in a pretty good spot health wise. Complacency will soon set in and soon it'll be completely considered an as viable use of time as listening to Frank Sinatra or watching Eastenders.
Lets face it, for a lot of us here, its our primary source of entertainment, sod TV!

But what if it was announced tomorrow that "Gaming harms your unborn child! Gaming reduces your sperm count! Gaming causes blindness, tone deafness and occasionally mumps!"
How many of us would stop? Smoking can cause all of the above (except tone deafness) and yet millions of people completely disregard this, and fair enough.

Personally, I think gaming is too bigger part of my life to cut out. Ok, I wouldn't play games around the children, I'd try to cut down and I wouldn't play on handhelds or arcades (gaming in public). But I genuinely think that - whether addicted or not, I'm now just too stuck in my ways to give it up.

Luckily, as yet, this is not a reality we have to court. But the day may yet come.

Have a think about it. Could you just drop it? Hang up your pad, so to speak? Or would you, like me and all those smokers drinkers, drivers and mobile phone users - think to yourself "it won't happen to me" and then just get on with it and hope for the best?

Thanks for reading/ skimming through/ ignoring.

Its been a pleasure.

Tarrant
Thu 29/11/01 at 20:49
I am the Tarrant wrote:
> Drinking and smoking are considered cool, they are popular uses of time and thus
> kill you.

As soon as gaming crosses a certain popularity barrier, the damage
> it can REALLY do will be published.

Thats just how things work!

I agree and i'm glad you said that. I just wanted to tell you that i think you are really good at righting and getting through to people. I hope i can be as good as you because i would really love to win a game you see i don't win much. I'm new at this web site and i'v already settled in and written 5reviews and i only joined yesterday oh and i'v written 1 hint.
Mon 05/11/01 at 16:24
Drinking and smoking are considered cool, they are popular uses of time and thus kill you.

As soon as gaming crosses a certain popularity barrier, the damage it can REALLY do will be published.

Thats just how things work!
Mon 05/11/01 at 15:50
Regular
Ho ho ho.
Mon 05/11/01 at 14:47
Regular
"Not your monkey"
Grix Thraves wrote:
>Ever since last year, Grix fans..........

Both of them!!!
:D
Sat 03/11/01 at 20:18
Regular
Hmmmm. I'm going to punctuate as much as possible for this.

Ever since last year, (Grix fans will be aware of his growing insanity that led from the belief that he was dying from cancer), I've lost all interest in death. Perhaps the only thing that would stop me from gaming is lowering my sperm count, as I know one day I would like to start a family, and while death would probably stop that too, I'd rather die than find out that I can't produce enough of the working guys. And that would only reduce me, not stop me.

Typically though, I don't smoke, and I don't drink heavily. Why? Not because I'm afraid of death, but because I don't particularly feel like doing so. I have the choice of course, but I'd much rather go watch a film. Does this make me sad? Hell no, it makes me strong in the fact that I can choose what I want to do instead of letting predictable exercises controlled by the sheep of the world run my life for me.

There's a saying. A rather good one... what is it now...

Ah yes.

"We all die. Not all of us live."
Sat 03/11/01 at 19:33
Regular
Aren't many (any?) original topics these days. Nice to see one acknowledged by GAD, good job Tarrant
Sat 03/11/01 at 13:36
Regular
"I like cheese"
Congrats Tarrant, a well deserved win! Nice to see you on the forms again too.
Sat 03/11/01 at 12:05
Thankyou all for your kind and surreal comments!

(why would Mr. Nice Guy have known too?)

I'm very tired. I'm not use to working.

I've got to go back in a minute. I want my mum :-(
Sat 03/11/01 at 10:27
Regular
I knew this would win i just knew it, i bet mr nice guy knew it as well.
Fri 02/11/01 at 17:06
It really does depend on what the risks are anyway. I mean you could still enjoy life without games so there's no point in cutting years off your life just for gamings sake. Of course when I'm old and don't care anymore I would gladly play games knowing that the worst that could happen is that I could die old. Luckily though gaming doesn't kill (despite what some parents of psycho kids may think) and so I'm going to keep gaming till I can't game anymore.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.