GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Resident Evil 4, should it end?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Resident Evil 4'.
Sun 25/05/03 at 17:33
Regular
Naturally the Resident Evil series is a major money grabbing series, yet with the fourth encounter planning on being the ultimate Resident Evil game and Shinji Mikami not seeing a future past this game begs the funademental question... could this be the end?

Resident Evil 4 does look incredible, it promises loads and with rumours of Wesker and Chris related mishaps it could finally put a close to the Resident Evil storyline... especially with one of the main characters set to bow out. The game with the new ghost esq. baddie looks damnable scary and it begs the question whats next?

Naturally Capcom need the series but it is hardly neccessary to keep the main adventure. 6 incredible games would make up the legacy and with Dead Aim and the online series just starting up, games revenue would still continue. A second movie is still in the works and that also provides more revenue. It is no surprise that Capcom are willing to stick the series on the Gamecube, yet when the sixth game is done we may have had enough. The once chart topping game isn't reaching that status anymore and although a lot is being said about the fourth game not much about the future.

I personally think we should be seeing the final Resident Evil encounter some time next year... do you have any thoughts on the matter?
Sun 25/05/03 at 17:33
Regular
Naturally the Resident Evil series is a major money grabbing series, yet with the fourth encounter planning on being the ultimate Resident Evil game and Shinji Mikami not seeing a future past this game begs the funademental question... could this be the end?

Resident Evil 4 does look incredible, it promises loads and with rumours of Wesker and Chris related mishaps it could finally put a close to the Resident Evil storyline... especially with one of the main characters set to bow out. The game with the new ghost esq. baddie looks damnable scary and it begs the question whats next?

Naturally Capcom need the series but it is hardly neccessary to keep the main adventure. 6 incredible games would make up the legacy and with Dead Aim and the online series just starting up, games revenue would still continue. A second movie is still in the works and that also provides more revenue. It is no surprise that Capcom are willing to stick the series on the Gamecube, yet when the sixth game is done we may have had enough. The once chart topping game isn't reaching that status anymore and although a lot is being said about the fourth game not much about the future.

I personally think we should be seeing the final Resident Evil encounter some time next year... do you have any thoughts on the matter?
Sun 25/05/03 at 17:36
Regular
"poo poo for you!"
but I think he is afraid of a Smackdown type event, where the series is dragging out for as long as possible and becoming lame.
Sun 25/05/03 at 17:38
"I love yo... lamp."
I havn't bought the last two games. Are they all still based around the same accident at that lab place? If so then it is time to move on. Wait a few years then bring out one at launch on the next round of consoles. Done well, with a new plot (well different accident) it would be good and could then re establish the series. But other than platformers, most series struggle past 4. Im not counting sports here though.

But at the moment Resident Evil just feels old to me.
Sun 25/05/03 at 17:40
Regular
"poo poo for you!"
if you think about it the people in the story with all these "accidents" must be for accident prone or somehting
Sun 25/05/03 at 17:40
Regular
Theres 6 resi adventures and Code Veronica and 4 take place away from raccoon city... following those involved trying to bring umbrella down.
Sun 25/05/03 at 17:41
Regular
There's no reason they can't end the current storyline, and start a new series set in a completely different universe.

In other words, keep the Resident Evil name, but use an entirely different theme, it would also give them the chance to implement some gameplay changes. Obviously it will still have to contain some sort of evil, but it doesn't have to be zombies.

Imagine crossing Resident Evil, Ghostbusters, Dino Crisis and Splinter Cell.
Sun 25/05/03 at 17:51
Regular
The fact is Capcom have a new horror series now in the form of Devil May Cry and Dino Crisis. Resident Evil has spanned so many platforms and there has been 6 games in the main series. There are 1 extra series the FPS games that are on the Playstation and the online games may also grow.

Also with the film it is hardly vital for the main series to continue anymore.
Sun 25/05/03 at 17:54
Regular
Loads of Zombies, lose in a big city. Ditch the pap controls and go for something like Escape from NY/LA. Maybe FPS or light gun.

Zombies spread, gvt quarantied the city, you can play as an un-infected locals' resistance group or special forces (stars?) who've been sent in to clear the place up.

It could make a nice change...
Sun 25/05/03 at 18:06
"!Basement Clucking!"
Keep the game, just chage the event/setting and do something new with the gameplay, resolve the 'god this is getting old' issue
Sun 25/05/03 at 19:28
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
I hope it doesn't end for a while, because I really enjoy them, but if it does end soon I hope they wrap up the storyline - something that it doesn't look entirely possible to do in the next game. At the end of Resident Evil 3 Jill was lifted out of raccoon City by a choppper, and it looked suspiciously like Barry piloting. I'm hoping for Resident Evil 5 to have Barry playable. He's my favourite character of the series for some reason.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.