GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"GameCube Pokémon RPG"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 26/05/03 at 18:32
Regular
Alright, so it hasn’t been officially confirmed yet – just hinted at, and even if it is – it’s miles off. But it could really happen… and if it did, there’d be no stopping the ‘Cube. This excites me, so here are some things I’d like to see make it to the final cut:

1. The option to choose between real time fighting and turn based. Turn based would obviously work like Stadium, but real time may be quite an interesting idea. You could either take control of your Pokémon (X, Y, B, Z would be the four assigned moves, with A to jump, R and L to side-step/dodge and the control stick for movement) or, you could prepare tactics before battles and let your Pokémon fight it out themselves. This would add a kind of Championship Manager feel to it, and it’d be excellent to fine tune various aspects of the fighting.

2. A decent graphics engine. The detail on the Pokémon and world should be much better than that in Coliseum – and it’d be a great feeling wandering magical worlds and watching Pokémon graze in various fields (yes, the enemies should be visible, unlike the GB games and FF). Perhaps, The Wind Waker’s engine could be used.

3. Online. How great would this be? It’d be a middle finger towards Live and PS2 Online and could really attract many owners towards purchasing a modem. Of course, the offline single player would have to be perfected first, and this couldn’t be just a gimmick – so it’d take a lot of work. But imagine trading, and tournaments and being able to become the *real* Pokémon Master. It’d be cool to have clans and stuff, and make gangs like Team Rocket and the like. Iwata hinted at this, so online could be a strong possibility.

Just a few of my ideas there. Add your own, comment on how rubbish or great my thoughts are, or discuss the game. Whatever.
Mon 26/05/03 at 21:49
"Wa-wa-west"
gamezfreak wrote:
> But we live in a country full of people who think GTA is the best
> thing since toilet paper.

Unfortunately, it just about is.
Mon 26/05/03 at 23:02
Regular
Lou Role wrote:
> I would really like to see a good Pokemon RPG on GC to be honest. But
> is it true that you still need to have some Pokemon games on the GBA
> first to enable you to play the game?

If I can remember rightly, two Pokemon games have been confirmed for GC - with one hinted at. Obviously, the RPG is the one they've only touched upon but the other two are Coliseum (a follow on from Stadium on the N64) and a statistics disc that will retail at around Ł10-20 and is a tool for those with either Ruby or Sapphire. I suppose that's what you mean?

Very little is known about this RPG - but I seriously doubt Nintendo would shoot themselves in the foot by limiting their audience to those with GBA's and copies of Ruby/Sapphire. Expect an RPG with *additional* link-up and online features, methinks.
Mon 26/05/03 at 23:05
Regular
There's no way that you'd have to have a GBA to play the game properly.

The reason Stadium and Box need one is because they take your already existing collection Pokemon and put them into the Cube game.

With an RPG, you'd start off from square one without any Pokemon and go about collecting them just like the GBA games....I should think.
Mon 26/05/03 at 23:18
Regular
Maverick42 wrote:

> If I can remember rightly, two Pokemon games have been confirmed for
> GC - with one hinted at. Obviously, the RPG is the one they've only
> touched upon but the other two are Coliseum (a follow on from Stadium
> on the N64) and a statistics disc that will retail at around
> Ł10-20 and is a tool for those with either Ruby or Sapphire. I
> suppose that's what you mean?
>

Pokemon Memory magic, Pokemon colleseum and Pokemon Channel are the 3 confirmed Gamecube Pokemon "games".

Pokemon sold 4 million in December last year and has yet to leave the top 10 chart in Japan.

So no its not getting old.
Mon 26/05/03 at 23:29
Regular
Hang on.. what's Box, Memory Magic and Channel? And isn't there a Pikachu based game coming out or something?
Mon 26/05/03 at 23:30
Regular
Box is the Yapanease name for memory magic.

Channel is some gay game like 'Hey you Pikachu"
Tue 27/05/03 at 01:52
Regular
"8==="
YAY! Pokemon on GC, about bloody time, I never could be bothered with the GB/GBA versions but I liked the N64 stadium and an RPG game'd be excellent. Even the Bomberman 'pokemon ripoff bits' were good.

here's to the big N!
Tue 27/05/03 at 09:57
Regular
Yeah, a pokemon RPG would be great especially with a good online system. Not so sure about you fighting as a pokemon though... Ah, I remember Hey, you pikachu very crap game.
Tue 27/05/03 at 09:59
Regular
"poo poo for you!"
Fighting as a pokemon is the whole point probs.. that a new type of pokemon is coming out. Anyways I would only buy it for that i guess. Other wise what is so different from that from Ruby/ Sapphire? 2D and portable. 3D and not as portable..
Tue 27/05/03 at 19:13
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
gamezfreak wrote:
> But we live in a country full of people who think GTA is the best
> thing since toilet paper.

Heh Heh, perfect.

:D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.