GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"GameCube Pokémon RPG"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 26/05/03 at 18:32
Regular
Alright, so it hasn’t been officially confirmed yet – just hinted at, and even if it is – it’s miles off. But it could really happen… and if it did, there’d be no stopping the ‘Cube. This excites me, so here are some things I’d like to see make it to the final cut:

1. The option to choose between real time fighting and turn based. Turn based would obviously work like Stadium, but real time may be quite an interesting idea. You could either take control of your Pokémon (X, Y, B, Z would be the four assigned moves, with A to jump, R and L to side-step/dodge and the control stick for movement) or, you could prepare tactics before battles and let your Pokémon fight it out themselves. This would add a kind of Championship Manager feel to it, and it’d be excellent to fine tune various aspects of the fighting.

2. A decent graphics engine. The detail on the Pokémon and world should be much better than that in Coliseum – and it’d be a great feeling wandering magical worlds and watching Pokémon graze in various fields (yes, the enemies should be visible, unlike the GB games and FF). Perhaps, The Wind Waker’s engine could be used.

3. Online. How great would this be? It’d be a middle finger towards Live and PS2 Online and could really attract many owners towards purchasing a modem. Of course, the offline single player would have to be perfected first, and this couldn’t be just a gimmick – so it’d take a lot of work. But imagine trading, and tournaments and being able to become the *real* Pokémon Master. It’d be cool to have clans and stuff, and make gangs like Team Rocket and the like. Iwata hinted at this, so online could be a strong possibility.

Just a few of my ideas there. Add your own, comment on how rubbish or great my thoughts are, or discuss the game. Whatever.
Mon 26/05/03 at 19:05
Regular
Ah yes. I always hated those. You ended up having to train Pokemon you didn't want to. They're not all bad though - there was something satisfying about learning a new one and becoming stronger. These should probably be moves that the trainer learns in the GameCube version - that would be a decent compromise.
Mon 26/05/03 at 19:06
Regular
I was, of course, talking about the HMs below.
Mon 26/05/03 at 19:07
Regular
"Dunemaul NE Hunter"
It has to be really big if its going to be good. Online trading would be very good and it would be cool if you could have 4 player battles where you have two on two trainer battles!
Mon 26/05/03 at 19:07
Regular
Whitestripes DX wrote:
> Ruby and Sapphire went straight to numbers 1 and 2 of the all formats
> chart and sold over a million in it's first weekend!

Its been released in the UK?

Maybe in the US, yes.

But we live in a country full of people who think GTA is the best thing since toilet paper.
Mon 26/05/03 at 19:27
Regular
Exactly.

Why should we have to teach a Pokemon surf, when instead the trainer could be given a dinghy boat or something instead. Although as it happens, Surf is the only decent HM move (attack power 95 PP 15).

And instead of strength, you could get power braclets or something to move the boulders yourself.

It's just irritating having to get a bunch of 'slave Pokemon' to do all the moves for you.
Mon 26/05/03 at 19:43
Regular
gamezfreak wrote:
> Its been released in the UK?

Not yet, August I think.

> Maybe in the US, yes.

Not sure, I know for certain it's out in Japan.

> But we live in a country full of people who think GTA is the best
> thing since toilet paper.

It's going to sell bucketloads in America and Japan - that's a given - so if it fails miserably in Europe (which I doubt, actually), Nintendo will still be making tonnes of profit to continue supporting the online servers and marketing the game.
Mon 26/05/03 at 19:45
Regular
Whitestripes DX wrote:
> And instead of strength, you could get power braclets or something to
> move the boulders yourself.

Stuff like this would add a lot more character and depth to the leading person, something I noticed was distinctly lacking in the GB games.
Mon 26/05/03 at 20:07
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
I would really like to see a good Pokemon RPG on GC to be honest. But is it true that you still need to have some Pokemon games on the GBA first to enable you to play the game?

If so, it kinda blows because I don't have a GBA. I only have Pokemon Gold for the GBC.
Mon 26/05/03 at 20:10
Regular
That was the sales figures for America, where Nintendo had Pokemon Ruby, Pokemon Sapphire and Zelda in the top three positions of the all formats chart.
Mon 26/05/03 at 20:16
"period drama"
Hmm .. WInd Waker engine. That would be a pretty fine game indeed. I like the idea. I like it a lot.
You're hired!
Oh, wait .....

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.