GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"GameCube Pokémon RPG"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 26/05/03 at 18:32
Regular
Alright, so it hasn’t been officially confirmed yet – just hinted at, and even if it is – it’s miles off. But it could really happen… and if it did, there’d be no stopping the ‘Cube. This excites me, so here are some things I’d like to see make it to the final cut:

1. The option to choose between real time fighting and turn based. Turn based would obviously work like Stadium, but real time may be quite an interesting idea. You could either take control of your Pokémon (X, Y, B, Z would be the four assigned moves, with A to jump, R and L to side-step/dodge and the control stick for movement) or, you could prepare tactics before battles and let your Pokémon fight it out themselves. This would add a kind of Championship Manager feel to it, and it’d be excellent to fine tune various aspects of the fighting.

2. A decent graphics engine. The detail on the Pokémon and world should be much better than that in Coliseum – and it’d be a great feeling wandering magical worlds and watching Pokémon graze in various fields (yes, the enemies should be visible, unlike the GB games and FF). Perhaps, The Wind Waker’s engine could be used.

3. Online. How great would this be? It’d be a middle finger towards Live and PS2 Online and could really attract many owners towards purchasing a modem. Of course, the offline single player would have to be perfected first, and this couldn’t be just a gimmick – so it’d take a lot of work. But imagine trading, and tournaments and being able to become the *real* Pokémon Master. It’d be cool to have clans and stuff, and make gangs like Team Rocket and the like. Iwata hinted at this, so online could be a strong possibility.

Just a few of my ideas there. Add your own, comment on how rubbish or great my thoughts are, or discuss the game. Whatever.
Mon 26/05/03 at 18:32
Regular
Alright, so it hasn’t been officially confirmed yet – just hinted at, and even if it is – it’s miles off. But it could really happen… and if it did, there’d be no stopping the ‘Cube. This excites me, so here are some things I’d like to see make it to the final cut:

1. The option to choose between real time fighting and turn based. Turn based would obviously work like Stadium, but real time may be quite an interesting idea. You could either take control of your Pokémon (X, Y, B, Z would be the four assigned moves, with A to jump, R and L to side-step/dodge and the control stick for movement) or, you could prepare tactics before battles and let your Pokémon fight it out themselves. This would add a kind of Championship Manager feel to it, and it’d be excellent to fine tune various aspects of the fighting.

2. A decent graphics engine. The detail on the Pokémon and world should be much better than that in Coliseum – and it’d be a great feeling wandering magical worlds and watching Pokémon graze in various fields (yes, the enemies should be visible, unlike the GB games and FF). Perhaps, The Wind Waker’s engine could be used.

3. Online. How great would this be? It’d be a middle finger towards Live and PS2 Online and could really attract many owners towards purchasing a modem. Of course, the offline single player would have to be perfected first, and this couldn’t be just a gimmick – so it’d take a lot of work. But imagine trading, and tournaments and being able to become the *real* Pokémon Master. It’d be cool to have clans and stuff, and make gangs like Team Rocket and the like. Iwata hinted at this, so online could be a strong possibility.

Just a few of my ideas there. Add your own, comment on how rubbish or great my thoughts are, or discuss the game. Whatever.
Mon 26/05/03 at 18:36
Regular
The Wind Waker engine would be great.

And don't assume it's so far off. In an interview last year about Mario Kart Shisgy said they were going to sit down and discuss ideas in February, turns out it had bene in production for ages.
Mon 26/05/03 at 18:39
Regular
Yeah but they've only just started it according to sources. I hope for a large immersive world that is led on by paths that are long and dungeons that link the towns together... unlike Zelda... dungeons are the goal in zelda... Dungeons are the way of reaching certain destinations in Pokemon...

As long as it has the feel of a journey.
Mon 26/05/03 at 18:40
Regular
I don't want any ****ing HMs.
Mon 26/05/03 at 18:47
Regular
HMs? What's that?
Mon 26/05/03 at 18:48
Regular
Maverick42 wrote:
> HMs? What's that?

Hidden Machines... aka Dig and cut etc...
Mon 26/05/03 at 18:52
Regular
Not dig.

The stupid crap moves you have to teach to Pokemon to be able to cut, swim, move boulder etc, to move further in the game.

And because they're crap, you teach them to crap Pokemon to save your best ones' decent moves.

It's become ridiculous in Ruby, going through the final caves I have to carry four crap Pokemon and only two decent ones.
Mon 26/05/03 at 18:56
Regular
Hmmm... dissapointing.
Mon 26/05/03 at 19:03
Regular
They're still creating Pokemon games?

I remember playing Pokemon Red on my Gameboy all those years back!

T'was a good game.

Still, Aint it a bit old? You reckon it'd sell to the mass market?

I'd like to see more Freedom in a Pokemon game, a 3-D pokemon RPG would rock!
Mon 26/05/03 at 19:04
Regular
Of course they're still making them!

And they still sell a feck load too.

Ruby and Sapphire went straight to numbers 1 and 2 of the all formats chart and sold over a million in it's first weekend!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.