GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why do you play?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 28/05/03 at 14:48
Regular
Ok now I know this isn't much of a post but it was just a topic that interested me, I won't use the excuse 'I'm new here (dont shoot)' because that is just silly, although i haven't been on this site before i can still decipher what is decent and what is not.

Anyhoo I was playing Zelda: TWW the other day and my girlfriend walked in and watched for a while, she asked me why I spent hours of my free time on a video-game? To be honest i wasn't sure, for me it's just something I have grown up with right from the good old Commodore or even the Spectrum. What about you?
Wed 28/05/03 at 15:05
Regular
"Smells of blue"
Thanks Memorandum. I see all of your points but another question would be why do we enjoy them so?
Wed 28/05/03 at 15:07
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
I suppose we get satisfaction from completing various tasks, winning races, or seeing a story unfold.

The satisfaction of doing something makes you feel happy (YeY endorphins!), so you want to play more.
Wed 28/05/03 at 15:10
Regular
"Smells of blue"
The glory of winning.
Wed 28/05/03 at 15:10
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
...Or from beating your mates at a game!
Wed 28/05/03 at 15:11
Regular
You live a life in games that would never happen in the real world. Games are a form of escapism.

Much like drugs only more healthy and you don't wake up the next day and feel like sh*t.
Wed 28/05/03 at 15:12
Regular
"Smells of blue"
Yes that is a good point. Yet when it becomes obsessive I'm not sure about the 'More healthy' part :-P
Wed 28/05/03 at 15:20
Regular
"poo poo for you!"
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> You live a life in games that would never happen in the real world.
> Games are a form of escapism.
>
> Much like drugs only more healthy and you don't wake up the next day
> and feel like sh*t.

======

tht is pretty much it and beside from the fact you will have random quotes like "itsa ME MARIIIOOO" and " I'll be backkkkk" and s**tupid things like that in your head I think that it is perfectly healthy
Wed 28/05/03 at 15:30
Regular
Escapism.

It's a way for me to get away from everyday life. If I've had a bad day and I was to go out into the middle of town with a sniper rifle and pick off some randoms because they looked at me funny then I'd be well on my way to being locked up for a couple of months (life sentence, eligible for parole in three months).

That PSOne ad sums it up for me.

“For years I have lived a double life, in the day I do my job, roll up my sleeves with the ordinary people, but at night, I live a life of exhilaration, of missed heartbeats and adrenalin, a life of dubious virtue. You might not think it to look at me, but I have commanded armies and conquered worlds. And though I may have broken one or two rules, at least I can say, "I have lived."”

Oh yeah, it's fun too.
Wed 28/05/03 at 15:39
"!Basement Clucking!"
Mystique wrote:
> “For years I have lived a double life, in the day I do my job, roll up
> my sleeves with the ordinary people, but at night, I live a life of
> exhilaration, of missed heartbeats and adrenalin, a life of dubious
> virtue. You might not think it to look at me, but I have commanded
> armies and conquered worlds. And though I may have broken one or two
> rules, at least I can say, "I have lived."”

Spot on
Wed 28/05/03 at 15:42
Regular
"Iio - At The End"
Because we're all sadcases of course.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.