GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Nintendo Europe have sealed their fate"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 28/10/01 at 09:07
Regular
With the recent events involving the heavily rumoured European launch of the GameCube. I think it's absolutely disgusting the way Nintendo Europe have treated the European gaming community, but really, we shouldn't have expected anything less now though should we? I believe Nintendo Europe have sealed their fate as far as I'm concerned

This is the primary reason why I choose to import rather than pay "rip-off Britain" prices and wait months on end for releases. Why do we take it?

Sony has already gained a strong foothold in the European market and I really can't see them letting that slip somehow, anyone to suggest otherwise is probably kidding himself or herself. You have to look at the facts. Sony have reduced the console to an attractive price of £200 which has been evident in the sales figures for the console, the forthcoming games are looking tasty indeed and let us not forget the impending threat of Microsoft's X-Box.

Now tell me, what can Nintendo Europe do about that? But then again, I'm not sure they particularly care if we're not that much of a priority.

My solution? Import if you can, don't give Nintendo Europe the satisfaction that they can treat European consumers like this and expect people to swallow it.
Mon 29/10/01 at 22:18
Regular
Wonderful idea!

I'll get Monkey Ball nice and early and when those games from SR arrive, they'll still work because it's a PAL system.

Shipping costs will no doubt be huge though.
It might cost up to 500 quid...
Mon 29/10/01 at 11:47
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
All I want to know is, when do you think the very nice folks 'down under' will have thier GameCubes?

Like er-no said earlier on, they use the PAL system and also have them at half the price. That's heavenly, ain't it?! Although, when will they have it? That's the question. They have N64 games, PS2 games and GBA games way before us - what's to say that they will have GameCubes before us?

If they do - then that's where I'm getting it from.

SHOCKY
Mon 29/10/01 at 11:36
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
It's not really Nintendo Europe's fault though - is it? If Nintendo Co can't make enough consoles for them to have a launch then they are kind of stuck. They clearly can't release a console if the East isn't supplying them with consoles.

Anyway, there's not really any big deal. Its just as easy to pick up a US console - order or line at the same computer you would use to order from UK retailers, with the same credit card. Practically every TV now accepts NTSC imputs so your only "problem" is the power supply - and £20 on a step-down converter has that sorted.

That's about the long and the short of what I'm doing as I don't want to wait - ordering the console direct from a US retailer. If you don't want to wait there's no excuse for not importing really.

Of course, seeing we're using SR's boards you should all go over and pre-order one from here right away. But they won't ship one to N. Ireland (even though we have exactly the same postal service as England, Scotland and Wales) so I'm allowed to go elsewhere.
Mon 29/10/01 at 09:16
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
Strafex wrote:
> Nintendo's European treatment is a bit on the shoddy side but:

Having an
> office in Surry means they don't have to pay THE games to distribute for them so
> that'll cut costs a bit.

The Gamecube hardware isn't as awkward as N64
> harware so conversions will hopefully suffer significantly less.

And unless a
> really big devastation announcement is made, the Gamecube is set to arrive in
> Spring, and we won't have to wait for quality titles either.

If the Gamecube
> is priced fairly and is launched by April then I'll get one here.

Thatís all very well and good man, but the fact remains is that Nintendo Europe have exercised their right to treat European consumers as second-rate ñ again. This isnít the first time this has happened, dare say it wonít be the last either, but why should you put up with it?

As I said before, it doesnít take a genius to work out that Sony has the European market cornered. But the reason that they do, is they took the time to market it over here, to get it in everyoneís faces, getting it every gaming establishment, promoting the life out of it, whilst obviously realising that the European market isnít as irrelevant as some think.

I really canít see Nintendo changing their attitude towards Europe, just like a Leopard canít change his spots...
Mon 29/10/01 at 08:36
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
Importing can be expensive in certain terms, but if anyone here were to import, then I'd highly recommend purchasing from overseas. Yes, it'll cost you a good £30-£40 for shipping on top, but the dollar to pound ratio is so good that you won't get a bad deal.
Sun 28/10/01 at 22:08
Regular
"I like cheese"
er-no wrote:
> Ant wrote:
> I would have to agree there (not that you'll expect anything
> different,) I think
> the way Nintendo have treated Europe lately,
> especially with the GC it seems is
> terrible.

Anyways though, hello
> Bleeders my old chum. How are ya these days?

>Nintendo are arrogant idiots.

That's the spirit er-no!! :D
Sun 28/10/01 at 22:02
Regular
Nintendo's European treatment is a bit on the shoddy side but:

Having an office in Surry means they don't have to pay THE games to distribute for them so that'll cut costs a bit.

The Gamecube hardware isn't as awkward as N64 harware so conversions will hopefully suffer significantly less.

And unless a really big devastation announcement is made, the Gamecube is set to arrive in Spring, and we won't have to wait for quality titles either.

If the Gamecube is priced fairly and is launched by April then I'll get one here.

Otherwise I WILL import...
Sun 28/10/01 at 20:10
Regular
lol
Sun 28/10/01 at 20:07
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Well, we already know SR are having a price scare on GC games.
Sun 28/10/01 at 20:04
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Just to settle the question about importing, here's how my friends and I go about it:

Buy an import console, thus having it before anyone else! This will cost slightly more than a UK console (a lot more if you buy at launch!) but is well worth it- especially if you have to wait months for the UK console.

To play the console in the UK, you need 2 things- a Scart cable and TV able to play scart, and a power adaptor. I'm guessing any importer will supply you with a scart lead, and almost any modernish TV will have scart input. The power adaptors cost about £15 from Tandy.

Get playing! Although importing games will cost more than buying them over here, if you travel abroad a lot, or have relatives over there, things can be much, much cheaper!

So, a few months down the line, and the UK console comes out. There are some games that you'd like to buy the UK version of, but are stuck with an import console? Well, then get it chipped! If you go to somewhere professional, then the chance of the chip failing is very low. In fact, with systems like the gameshark, there is no need to open up your console at all! So now, you can play games from any region at any time.

Oh, and remember that imported games usually run faster, come out sooner, and you get to play games that never make it over here!

So that's how it's done :)

Sonic

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.