GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Nintendo Europe have sealed their fate"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 28/10/01 at 09:07
Regular
With the recent events involving the heavily rumoured European launch of the GameCube. I think it's absolutely disgusting the way Nintendo Europe have treated the European gaming community, but really, we shouldn't have expected anything less now though should we? I believe Nintendo Europe have sealed their fate as far as I'm concerned

This is the primary reason why I choose to import rather than pay "rip-off Britain" prices and wait months on end for releases. Why do we take it?

Sony has already gained a strong foothold in the European market and I really can't see them letting that slip somehow, anyone to suggest otherwise is probably kidding himself or herself. You have to look at the facts. Sony have reduced the console to an attractive price of £200 which has been evident in the sales figures for the console, the forthcoming games are looking tasty indeed and let us not forget the impending threat of Microsoft's X-Box.

Now tell me, what can Nintendo Europe do about that? But then again, I'm not sure they particularly care if we're not that much of a priority.

My solution? Import if you can, don't give Nintendo Europe the satisfaction that they can treat European consumers like this and expect people to swallow it.
Sun 28/10/01 at 09:07
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
With the recent events involving the heavily rumoured European launch of the GameCube. I think it's absolutely disgusting the way Nintendo Europe have treated the European gaming community, but really, we shouldn't have expected anything less now though should we? I believe Nintendo Europe have sealed their fate as far as I'm concerned

This is the primary reason why I choose to import rather than pay "rip-off Britain" prices and wait months on end for releases. Why do we take it?

Sony has already gained a strong foothold in the European market and I really can't see them letting that slip somehow, anyone to suggest otherwise is probably kidding himself or herself. You have to look at the facts. Sony have reduced the console to an attractive price of £200 which has been evident in the sales figures for the console, the forthcoming games are looking tasty indeed and let us not forget the impending threat of Microsoft's X-Box.

Now tell me, what can Nintendo Europe do about that? But then again, I'm not sure they particularly care if we're not that much of a priority.

My solution? Import if you can, don't give Nintendo Europe the satisfaction that they can treat European consumers like this and expect people to swallow it.
Sun 28/10/01 at 09:27
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
I would actually wait for the Uk release because I don't want to get games in japanease :o)

I agree with you though, Nintendo haven't really being treating us well. I have been a ninty for as long as I can remember and they seam to have the award for releasing their console to late and delaying their games. Perfect Dark? 1st April? Remember that. PAH!
Sun 28/10/01 at 09:28
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
I wouldn't, the US Gamers get there GC's in the next couple of weeks. Go US!!
Sun 28/10/01 at 09:37
Regular
"I like cheese"
I would have to agree there (not that you'll expect anything different,) I think the way Nintendo have treated Europe lately, especially with the GC it seems is terrible.

Anyways though, hello Bleeders my old chum. How are ya these days?
Sun 28/10/01 at 09:58
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
Ant, me ol' mucker, I'm doing fine - and you? I been posting under the alias Clip The Apex for a while, got bored of it and changed back to trusty ol' Bleeders.

But yeah, back on the subject of things, I think in a funny sort of way, Nintendo Europe must've known they're not going to really take any significant part of the market away from Sony in Europe, hence the shabby treatment.
Sun 28/10/01 at 11:37
Regular
"Back For Good"
my words exactly, companies think we're just this thing on the side that they can seriously rip off, We pay the highest game prices in the world and yet we still have
bad pal coversions (borders and slowdown),high prices and the fact that we have to wait forever for games to be released over here.
For instance Final Fantasy X is to be fully translated into english but instead of geting the American version we have to wait for it to be translated in ALL the european coutries even though we get the American Voice track anyhow. Code Veronica X was released in Japan 6 months before it hit here and it still was a bad pal conversion.

you live and learn but I'm getting my Gamecube chipped for imports no doubt about it :-)
Sun 28/10/01 at 12:14
Regular
"everyone says it"
Ant wrote:
> I would have to agree there (not that you'll expect anything different,) I think
> the way Nintendo have treated Europe lately, especially with the GC it seems is
> terrible.

Anyways though, hello Bleeders my old chum. How are ya these days?

Nintendo are arrogant idiots.
Sun 28/10/01 at 12:49
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
I can't see Nintendo gaining much ground with the GameCube over here in all honesty. I have no doubt it'll be successful overseas, but here, forget it.

As I said before, Sony have gained a considerable lead and not even Nintendo will be able to catch them, but treating the European consumer like they are, they never will.

I can't see the GameCube visiting the same fate as the Nintendo 64 straight away, since the GameCube has secured a some good third-party developers and franchises which will keep it afloat for a good few years I reckon. But, don't expect much support from Nintendo Europe, I believe if you want to really enjoy what the Nintendo GameCube has to offer, then go for a US import, since you'll get cheaper prices and you will be able to play the games the way they are intended to be played. For instance, no slowdown, no borders etc.
Sun 28/10/01 at 13:15
Regular
"I'm not Orgazmo"
Agreed! Nintendo seriously need to do something concerning the European market, they stated that they wasn't going to make the same mistakes they did with the N64, yeah looking that way isn't it Nintendo, pah!

If they release their console before christmas wouldn't more people buy it? Of course they would! Nooooo Nintendo say lets release it sometime in the summer when people dont play games because they are all out enjoying the summer!

Nintendo need to sort out their European marketing strategies!
Sun 28/10/01 at 14:30
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I agree, Nintendo Europe are taking their same attitude as always and are just *expecting* the GameCube to be successful. Idiots.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.