GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"All hail mass-market mediocrity."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 31/05/03 at 07:59
Regular
As I lay in bed last night having played Ikaruga some time earlier, I thought about why quality games like that aren’t seen in the all-formats charts. Then I remembered that in general, the games buying public is stupid.
There is no finer an example than Enter the Matrix.
Some say it’s great, some say it’s crap, but no matter your opinion, the game is currently flying off the shelves and will sit proudly atop the charts for some considerable time no doubt.
But the common consensus is that the game is poor (I don’t know about you, but no reviews available before launch smelt pretty fishy to me), so why is it number 1? Hype and the gullibility of blinded mass-market zealots are the number one suspects.

I’m looking forward to Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines as I’m a big fan of the series and of the Austrian Oak himself, but will I buy the game if it looks crap? No, no I won’t. So why so many people are buying a crap game baffles me.
-“But it’s the Matrix, you can do kung fu.” Never heard of Street Fighter or its modern successors?
-“There’s two cool characters whose levels intertwine with the film.” So, two uninteresting characters adding depth to a highly overrated film, big deal.
-“You can do hacking.” So, buy a crummy flat and a load of computer equipment and try the real thing.
-“It’s fun.” So is Zelda: The Wind Waker, so is Ico, so is Rez. They are fun beyond belief, but did they sell shed load of copies? Nope.
-“It’s cool.” The killer line. What does “cool” have to do with the quality of the game? Absolutely nothing, it’s the thing most people are influenced by. It’s definitely *not* cool. In fact, it’s so bad I’d call it uncool.

In the end, the mass buying of a poor product like Enter the Matrix will ruin the games industry. Think of it; you have enough money for one game. You browse the shelves and see two games: Enter the Matrix and SOS: The Final Escape on PS2.
Which do you choose, the hyped up film conversion that relies on the movie to influence geeky zealots, or a highly original, though pretty much unheard of title?
It seems the majority like their healthy dose of mass-market mediocrity and are willing to ignore little gaming gems.
The problem with this is money. Eventually, smaller games companies *will* go out of business because of this sort of ignorant buying. It has already happened with a number of veteran games companies, and will happen more and more when people favour games like Enter the Matrix over better, more original games. Just by the fact that Nintendo, undoubtedly the greatest developer, is struggling proves that the majority of gamers don’t favour great games but mass-market rubbish instead.

The success of Enter the Matrix will also prove that instead of spending time and huge effort in creating an amazing piece of software, games companies can just get a movie license and churn out a poor rushed game to coincide with the film’s release and that will sell due to the name of the movie alone. This will happen more and more leading to plenty more mediocrity instead of well-made titles.

At the end of the day, you’re not just going to ruin the games industry for yourselves, but you’ll ruin it for me too, someone who doesn’t buy into the hype of your Enter the Matrix, FIFA or Lord of the Rings cash-ins, someone who favours SOS: The Final Escape over generic shallow crap pumped out for healthy profit. But that’s the way the games industry will go.

I can just imagine the games industry in 5 years time, with the charts filled up with crap sequels and movie tie-ins, and no Nintendo or other sparks of flair or originality to be seen, still, if that’s the way you want it. In 5 years time when you realise the poor state of the industry, just remember that it was the success of Enter the Matrix that planted the seeds of mediocrity and that whoever was foolish enough to buy it was partly responsible.

*slow hand clap for blinded zealots*

Enjoy playing Enter the Matrix, and enjoy the downward spiral in quality it represents.
Sat 31/05/03 at 11:45
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
I have a promo copy, but I got it the day before it was released.
Sat 31/05/03 at 11:46
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
http://forums.gaming-age.com/ SPACE HERE showthread.php?s=&threadid=38953

Case in point, with regards to most 'informed' gamers not liking the game. 50+ replies in response to me asking why nobody likes the game.
Sat 31/05/03 at 11:48
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
Ah, I see. Speaking of which, why is the box art so horrible? It's like the first Matrix DVD:

http://www.playserver2.com/covers/2429m.jpg < the new twin pack of http://www.playserver2.com/covers/98207m.jpg

They should have had a box like the second one. None of this ugly ugly talking heads rubbish.
Sat 31/05/03 at 11:50
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
I'll be honest, I have not played ETM. But the general consensus is that it is not exactly stunningly good. Not wanting to be overly concerned by magazine ratings, gamesTM has also scored it badly, with it getting a somewhat paltry 4/10. Now, I'll reiterate : I have not played it. But I've watched someone play.

To me, it looks easy and graphically bland. To whom was playing it?

It was easy. And graphically bland.

Though I can see elements of fun in it. 'Focus' looks very smart, and the helicopter battles for example are impressive. But things like the collision detection spoil it a tad.

So I agree with Totoro in that mass-market 'casual gamers' are being lured into these average film liceneses, and how the (stunning) games like Rez are overlooked. But I can see Snuggly's point too : it's not up to us to judge. We just content ourselves with what we like and what we don't. Just because I buy games like Rez or Ikaruga, doesn't make me any more of a better person or gamer.
Sat 31/05/03 at 11:55
Regular
For the Matrix game, I would say general reaction has been ambivalent at best. I can't comment on Enter the Matrix because I haven't played it, but having seen the film, I can't deny the allure of the game is strong. One thing I do feel though, is that Enter the Matrix could have been better given longer development time (from what I remember Shiny are notorious for delays), but they ran out of time, what with having to co-incide with the films release etc

Saying that, I generally agree with most of your points Totoro, because Gamecube's flagging sales shows that innovation and inventions doesn't necessarily equal high sales.
Sat 31/05/03 at 11:57
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
RM18 wrote:
> but they ran out of time, what with
> having to co-incide with the films release etc

If they had only left it a *bit* longer. I thought the Wachowski's would, being perfectionists and all.

> because Gamecube's flagging sales shows that innovation and inventions
> doesn't necessarily equal high sales.

Shame really.
Sat 31/05/03 at 12:00
Regular
El Blokey wrote:
> Ah, I see. Speaking of which, why is the box art so horrible? It's
> like the first Matrix DVD:
>
> http://www.playserver2.com/covers/2429m.jpg < the new twin pack of
> http://www.playserver2.com/covers/98207m.jpg
>
> They should have had a box like the second one. None of this ugly ugly
> talking heads rubbish.

Have you seen the box art for the Matrix Reloaded DVD? Supposedly, WB are considering three options. Here's the link:

http://www.theaveragejoes.net/ (space)
?subaction=showfull&id=1054160987&archive=

Third one's my fave, the top one looks like Neo's face has been squashed.
Sat 31/05/03 at 12:02
Regular
phuzzy wrote:
> RM18 wrote:
> but they ran out of time, what with
> having to co-incide with the films release etc
>
> If they had only left it a *bit* longer. I thought the Wachowski's
> would, being perfectionists and all.

Undoubtedly overruled by the marketing men on this one, but if you think about it it couldn't have been released at any other time.
Sat 31/05/03 at 12:15
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Enter The Matrix is the best game ever created.
Why?

Kung-fu.Slow motion kung fu. Coolest of the cool.
Guns. Lots of guns.
Vampires. That you kill in slow-motion.
FMV from the film
Agent Smiths chasing you
Monica Belluci & Jada Pinket snogging each other. Twice. That's right kids, lesbians.
LESBIANS, KUNG FU, GUNS AND AGENT SMITH

See, you Ninties would like it if you weren't simple folk. Like Hobbits, but stupid.
And for this whole "I buy unknown games so that makes me, like, so cool"?

Bwahahahahahaha
At the end of the day, even if you were a vampire lesbian kung-fu kicking Agent Smith - you're still a Ninty.
Which means this game is too clever for you.

Now run along and roll that monkeys balls
Sat 31/05/03 at 12:29
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Nothing to do with marketing or hype - I played this game and got bored with it. It was easy and repetitive. And samey - very samey. Preferred Max Payne.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.