GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PS2 DVD Player People"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 27/10/01 at 23:04
Regular
The sad day has come where i've reaslised that I can't get away with buying my family cards for christmas while getting a N64 or Dreamcast with 4 games in return...

This year, I plan to buy them a DVD Player... I'm not thick... but when it comes to DVD players I have little experience... which can be summed up in one sentance: 'Breaking a £500 DVD player in COMET and running out of the store'

Now then... I would go for a decent brand - say a Nintendo endorsed one like Panasonic :D, But It did occur to me that that 'thing' you call a Playstation 2 can play DVD's as well... Now... i'm not going soft, I still think SONY are complete idiots...

However, my brothers, who don't have the same steel Nintendo backbone I do, feel that they'd like to be able to play a decent football game on a console and think I should get a PlayStation 2. I was opposed to the whole idea... still am, but I don't buy presents for me... and I want them to be happy...

Of course I won't touch the thing... and i'll definitely use a thrid-party remote control.... :D

What I want to know is if the DVD Player is any good... Please, give honest opinions... I know it can be multi-region, but I want to know what it's like on performance...

Thank You

Game
Mon 29/10/01 at 11:54
"High polygon count"
Nothing wrong with mine, either.
Mon 29/10/01 at 11:51
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
On the topic of PS2s, have you heard a rumour that Sony's black box doesn't play as well upright as laying horizontally? Weird. I've never really had my PS2 in it's vertical position, but when I did - there was nothing wrong with it.

Anyone?
Mon 29/10/01 at 11:46
"High polygon count"
The Game wrote:
> So PS2 is crap on big TV's....

Erm, nope!

I have mine on a 28" WEGA widescreen and it's fine.

I also have a high-end Sony DVP-S725D dedicated player, and there is little difference between the picture quality.

> So this official remote, do you
> need the memory card in all the time to get it working, or just once?

All the time, but only if you want to use all of the functions of the official remote. The remote works fine with the on-board drivers, but you don't have the extended features offered by the updated driver.

> And how much memory do normal games use...?

That depends on the game. Most use around 150K, but some - like Madden NFL - use quite a lot more.
Mon 29/10/01 at 11:44
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
If your buying because you want a DVD player don't get a PS2. You can get a DVD player of equal capabilites for around half the price, so it is totally pointless.

The playback is average - don't believe Sony's guff about how it's akin to a £600 player. In terms of picture, particlarly, it;s weak. However, the sound is absolutely brilliant considering and recovers the bad pisture problems.

Truth is, it's capabilites are around that of an average budget level player. So, if you only want the DVD side of things, get an average entry level player for around £125. By the time you've bought your PS2, an S-Video/SCART lead, a Region X thing, and a remote your getting up around £250-£260 for similar DVD playback.

Easy question then is, is a PS2 worth the extra £125 to you?
Mon 29/10/01 at 11:30
Regular
"Back For Good"
another one going off what they "heard"

The lip sync issue is sorted, The diagnosis feature sortsit out if it goes slightly off track and the version 2 claims to have it fixed.

Out of about 12 dvd's only one had a slight problem and diagnosis fixed it, haven't tried it with the version 2 driver yet, probably works :-)
Mon 29/10/01 at 07:44
Regular
"Fat Red-Capped Vale"
Beware the Toads wrote:
> The lip sync is always going wrong, and Im told the playback isnt very good
> quality which Im prepared to believe.

BTW, if there is a way to stop the lip
> sync screwing up, could you let me know? Cheers!

If the lip sync isn't working, then it must be torture to watch a DVD film on a Plsyatation 2! I just can't imagine it. Anyone who has a PS2 and has played a DVD on it or anyone that's just seen a DVD playing, please give me details here. I'd like a 2nd opinion please. If I find a way of stopping lip sync, I'll tell you. I'll have a look on some search engines in a minute. Hope I helped.

R@ckstar.
Sun 28/10/01 at 23:11
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
I might wait until just before christmas... they might have all gone by then, but the chances are it'll be as new as possible... i'll write all this info down and make sure i get a decent machine...

I don't trust Sony much as it is, but i'm sure it'll work out right...

Thanks to EVERYONE!

Game
Sun 28/10/01 at 23:04
The lip sync is always going wrong, and Im told the playback isnt very good quality which Im prepared to believe.

BTW, if there is a way to stop the lip sync screwing up, could you let me know? Cheers!
Sun 28/10/01 at 19:31
Regular
"accidental superher"
i just read that if you get a ps2 now then you will probably already HAVE the updated drivers for the ps2....
Sun 28/10/01 at 19:05
Regular
"Fat Red-Capped Vale"
The Game wrote:
Rockstar: Thanks! ^_^

No problem The Game. Oh and I also forget to mention something else. I would suggest buying a Medion Multi-Region DVD player for £150 from Special Reserve. I have one and it's an absolute gem! The playback is brill and the sound is great through my Dolby Surround speakers. Hope I help again The Game. R@ckstar.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.