GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PS2 DVD Player People"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 27/10/01 at 23:04
Regular
The sad day has come where i've reaslised that I can't get away with buying my family cards for christmas while getting a N64 or Dreamcast with 4 games in return...

This year, I plan to buy them a DVD Player... I'm not thick... but when it comes to DVD players I have little experience... which can be summed up in one sentance: 'Breaking a £500 DVD player in COMET and running out of the store'

Now then... I would go for a decent brand - say a Nintendo endorsed one like Panasonic :D, But It did occur to me that that 'thing' you call a Playstation 2 can play DVD's as well... Now... i'm not going soft, I still think SONY are complete idiots...

However, my brothers, who don't have the same steel Nintendo backbone I do, feel that they'd like to be able to play a decent football game on a console and think I should get a PlayStation 2. I was opposed to the whole idea... still am, but I don't buy presents for me... and I want them to be happy...

Of course I won't touch the thing... and i'll definitely use a thrid-party remote control.... :D

What I want to know is if the DVD Player is any good... Please, give honest opinions... I know it can be multi-region, but I want to know what it's like on performance...

Thank You

Game
Sat 27/10/01 at 23:04
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
The sad day has come where i've reaslised that I can't get away with buying my family cards for christmas while getting a N64 or Dreamcast with 4 games in return...

This year, I plan to buy them a DVD Player... I'm not thick... but when it comes to DVD players I have little experience... which can be summed up in one sentance: 'Breaking a £500 DVD player in COMET and running out of the store'

Now then... I would go for a decent brand - say a Nintendo endorsed one like Panasonic :D, But It did occur to me that that 'thing' you call a Playstation 2 can play DVD's as well... Now... i'm not going soft, I still think SONY are complete idiots...

However, my brothers, who don't have the same steel Nintendo backbone I do, feel that they'd like to be able to play a decent football game on a console and think I should get a PlayStation 2. I was opposed to the whole idea... still am, but I don't buy presents for me... and I want them to be happy...

Of course I won't touch the thing... and i'll definitely use a thrid-party remote control.... :D

What I want to know is if the DVD Player is any good... Please, give honest opinions... I know it can be multi-region, but I want to know what it's like on performance...

Thank You

Game
Sat 27/10/01 at 23:07
Regular
According to GamesMaster, if you haven't got a scart cable, you can only watch the movies in green.
Sat 27/10/01 at 23:09
Regular
One of the main reasons Im getting a PS2 I because of the DVD player.

Id also like to know the quality of it.
Sat 27/10/01 at 23:10
Regular
"Back For Good"
The DVD player is top notch :-)
The quality is very nice indeed but I can't say that i recommend the PS2 if your going to use it for DVD only.
Sat 27/10/01 at 23:17
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
I doubt i'd use it for DVD only... well I might... but my family wouldn't...

I've heard there's a load of trouble with green pictures and bad quality, analogue only and all this..... where's Bonus when I need him... twirp!
Sat 27/10/01 at 23:27
Regular
"Back For Good"
nope it supports 5:1 digital from the digi out ;-)

The green screen issue is to stop people copying thir DVD's in perfect quality which is ONLY shown when using an RGB scart with a tv in RGB mode, you can get around this with region x but if you use the official cable suppied with the thing it works perfectly :-)

If your worried about the lip sync problem which will probably pop up here sooner or later, I've been told it's the same with all dvd players due to badly encoded discs, I've only seen it go off a bit in the kingpin dvd but the driver disc suppied with the official remote fixes it all :-)

good player, needs the official remote though,hey you even get to play Metal Gear Solid ;-)
Sat 27/10/01 at 23:32
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Thanks, Resi!

FM said the same thing...

He got a PS2 about a week ago...

I'm pretty sure i'll be okay with it... but as I've said... I'm not touching it!

Nintendo rule!

:D

Thanks again....

Game
Sat 27/10/01 at 23:48
Regular
it is multi region
you have to buy a dvd regionX they are around £18 and spez rez have them

the player is the equlivalent to a £200 stand alone player that plays top notch games too

whilst using the control pad to navigate dvds can be annoying but it is a lot easier with the remote... if you buy the official remote then you get an upgrade disc that takes up a whopping 2 meg of your m/card but whatever floats your boat
Sat 27/10/01 at 23:58
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Hmmmm.... 2 meg eh? So how big are the memory cards?

So I pay £250 for a PS2 and all the crap that SR bundle with it, then I have to buy a bloody Reg X DVD thingy for £20, and most likely another memory card for about £30!

Can I use the PSX mem cards?

Game
Sun 28/10/01 at 01:38
Regular
u cant use PSX memory cards. U have to use the PS2 memory card. but they are good value for money. £25 for 8MB.

PS2 DVD player is fine. Well its fine for my bedroom, but i woudnt use it downstairs on the bigscreen.

And as mentioned the PS2 has the best football games. THIS IS FOOTBALL 2002 is the best football game to come out for the console so far, but Pro evolution football will be better.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.