GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I have grown older. They have grown colder."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 27/10/01 at 16:08
Regular
I am finding myself playing less and less video games.

Gaming is no longer the biggest activity I do now, and sadly I think that being a lazy sixteen year old is.

Why? Why have I turned into this stereotypical teenager, who eats and sleeps and attempts to finish homework at the last minute, when five years ago I did it as soon as I got home and then went and played the Super Nintendo until supper and bedtime.

Its not because I don't want to play the games that are released at the moment, its the fact that they aren't to me what they used to be. I don't really look forward to coming home and playing a game anymore, not like I did those years ago.

What is it about the games that has done this?

Could it simply be just the appeal? The fact that not as many games are directed at the specific sixteen year old age group? That is what I would like to think, and then I can have some hope into thinking that in a few years time I will be able to play games till my heart is content they are what they used to be.

Its not though is it. As I unpack every single one of my SNES and NES games, looking through the manual and having a few minute go I release what is missing from the modern games. Its not appeal, because hell I actually began to play Marble Madness and TimeLord and couldn't put them down. Its not me, the fact that I can't be bothered anymore.

Its the simplicity. The old games were basic and simple. Look back at them, I held up the Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Land 3 boxes side by side. Looking at just the screenshots, nothing to do with the graphics (well not to this point) and I just preferred and wanted to play the NES classic.

That is the reason I am not picking the controller of the floor anymore, I still know my facts and read all the news and gossip for gaming, and yes I play most of the games that are released, but at the same time I time thinking I don't really want to be playing this.

Its sad. But sadly true.

Where have the simple games gone? The last game that grabbed me, huh... Goldeneye. When was that? huh... 1996. It was simply made, guns, guards and basically although not visually a simple environment.

Games ain't what they used to be. That's my opinion until I play something that makes me put down the Super Mario Land3 box that remains in my left hand.

Maybe its because as my dad would say I have a simple mind, Lynard Skynard would say be a simple man, all I would say is I want simple games.

Thanks
Joby
Thu 01/11/01 at 00:21
Regular
"everyone says it"
joe crow wrote:
> you're losing it er-no!!!
come back to gaming before it is too late :)

'Goodbye cruel games, its over...
...walk on bye.'

*copyright of er-no (not Pink Floyd) 1779*
Wed 31/10/01 at 20:54
you're losing it er-no!!!
come back to gaming before it is too late :)
Sun 28/10/01 at 21:00
Regular
"everyone says it"
Starlight wrote:
> Hmmm don't know what that means but sounds good, well thats me convinced, hmmmm
> that store isn't open on Mondays gah! Have to wait until Tuesday now.

You get it... you let me know. :o)
Sun 28/10/01 at 20:54
Regular
"I'm not Orgazmo"
Hmmm don't know what that means but sounds good, well thats me convinced, hmmmm that store isn't open on Mondays gah! Have to wait until Tuesday now.

:-)
Sun 28/10/01 at 20:43
Regular
"I'm not Orgazmo"
The R@ckstar wrote:
Same boat here mate, I haven't
> played a decent game since Max Payne was released. What other games of interest
> are out in the shops at the moment? I am just pretty bored at the moment and
> need something to occupy me apart from the 3 year old Half Life.

I'm not really sure there, nothing really worth getting at the moment I dont think, I have a GAD to claim but theres nothing that interests me so it stays unclaimed. I will say this though the last game to keep me hooked was Zelda: Majora's Mask but then again I love the Zelda series I have been delving into the world of my old consoles recently and I am thoroughly enjoying it, the glory of multiplayer retro games.
Sun 28/10/01 at 20:41
Regular
"everyone says it"
Starlight wrote:
> Did I hear someone say Secret of Mania is a Zelda like RPG?

Excellent!

I
> have heard of the game but never actually knew what it was about, im in the same
> boat as you here er-no (from what you said in the first post of this topic) and
> luckily for me theres a shop close by that would most likely sell the
> game.

Would you seriously recommend this game to someone who hasn't played a
> decent game for a while, I need something to keep me interested.

Oh my god. You need this game.

Go. Go seek. Buy it and a multitap and get two mates, and be prepared for the new game in your life, for weeks, you will complete it twice if not three times, you train, you fly...

..FLAMMIE DRAGON.. GOGOOGOGO.

WOah... just get ready. This may be the best game you will ever play, its in my top 3.
Sun 28/10/01 at 20:28
Regular
"Fat Red-Capped Vale"
Starlight wrote:
> Did I hear someone say Secret of Mania is a Zelda like RPG?

Excellent!

I
> have heard of the game but never actually knew what it was about, im in the same
> boat as you here er-no (from what you said in the first post of this topic) and
> luckily for me theres a shop close by that would most likely sell the
> game.

Would you seriously recommend this game to someone who hasn't played a
> decent game for a while, I need something to keep me interested.

Same boat here mate, I haven't played a decent game since Max Payne was released. What other games of interest are out in the shops at the moment? I am just pretty bored at the moment and need something to occupy me apart from the 3 year old Half Life.
Sun 28/10/01 at 20:22
Regular
"I'm not Orgazmo"
Did I hear someone say Secret of Mania is a Zelda like RPG?

Excellent!

I have heard of the game but never actually knew what it was about, im in the same boat as you here er-no (from what you said in the first post of this topic) and luckily for me theres a shop close by that would most likely sell the game.

Would you seriously recommend this game to someone who hasn't played a decent game for a while, I need something to keep me interested.
Sun 28/10/01 at 20:21
Regular
"Fat Red-Capped Vale"
er-no wrote:
> The R@ckstar wrote:
There's a multitap for the Snes? Amazing! I don't have a
> Snes but I
> can easily get hold of an emulator and the game. Oh, do you
> have to have 3
> players or not by the way? If you do, then I kind of have a
> very big problem,
> game-playing wise! Thanks again. R@ckstar.

Nah mate.
> You don't have to play three player, you can play one player.. but the emulater
> version is just not the same as the SNES version..

Sad that... you going to
> play a slight let down :o(

Oh right. Thanks for the info Er-No. So, is it a bad game then? That's what it seemed as though you were implying. I'll get the emulator some time, if I can be naffed to search for it and download if after the painstaking process of actually finding it. Thanks again Joby. R@ckstar.
Sun 28/10/01 at 20:14
Regular
"everyone says it"
The R@ckstar wrote:
There's a multitap for the Snes? Amazing! I don't have a Snes but I
> can easily get hold of an emulator and the game. Oh, do you have to have 3
> players or not by the way? If you do, then I kind of have a very big problem,
> game-playing wise! Thanks again. R@ckstar.

Nah mate. You don't have to play three player, you can play one player.. but the emulater version is just not the same as the SNES version..

Sad that... you going to play a slight let down :o(

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.