GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Ping Times"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 25/05/10 at 14:59
Regular
recently I was hearing data noise on my phone when making calls, BT said there was no fault on my line and suggested that I replace my broadband filters, this I did and now the phone line is clear as a bell, how ever my son says now that his ping time (double dutch to me) has risen from a steady 200 to 400, can any one offer any tips on how to reduce this?

Digi
Wed 26/05/10 at 17:08
Regular
This is what you said Hmmm is he trying to copy you?

Hmmm... wrote:
> Warhunt wrote:
> I would suggest we check your interleaving status...
>
> I wish I had thought of that! :¬P
>
>
> Eccles wrote:
> As Digi's sync rate is 8128 then it's unlikely he has
> interleaving enabled. Maximum sync with interleaving is
> generally
> around 7616Kbps, but some routers can push this higher.
>
> That's what I said! :¬P
>
>
>
> [s]Hmmm...[/s]
Wed 26/05/10 at 17:08
Regular
Ok a pinged BBc and results were 26ms up to 31 ms I phoned Freeola and warhunt has gone home already, but the chap I spoke to says interleaving is switched off on our account.

Digi
Wed 26/05/10 at 15:41
Regular
"Embrace the Martian"
** senses a miffed Hmmm **
Wed 26/05/10 at 15:12
"Are you sure?"
Warhunt wrote:
> I would suggest we check your interleaving status...

I wish I had thought of that! :¬P

Eccles wrote:
> As Digi's sync rate is 8128 then it's unlikely he has
> interleaving enabled. Maximum sync with interleaving is generally
> around 7616Kbps, but some routers can push this higher.

That's what I said! :¬P

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Wed 26/05/10 at 14:56
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
As Digi's sync rate is 8128 then it's unlikely he has interleaving enabled. Maximum sync with interleaving is generally around 7616Kbps, but some routers can push this higher.
Run a ping from the command prompt to bbc.co.uk and you should get pings of 50ms or less. If these are higher then run a trace route to bbc.co.uk to see where the slow down is.
Wed 26/05/10 at 14:09
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Ahhhh great stuff. World of Warcraft and latency issues....

Feel free to mention to your son that I once encountered an hours worth of having my latency at 18000, whilst raiding Ulduar (he should know what that means) :D

Anyway back to work....

I would suggest we check your interleaving status, but it appears your BB is not in the account you posted from. I shall have a gander a bit more and then get back to you.
Wed 26/05/10 at 13:09
"Are you sure?"
Hi Digi,
Your line looks great - *green* ;¬)

My next step would be to ask Freeola to look at your 'Interleaving' (Fast Path) status.

This can have an effect on latency.

If Interleaving is on then you will also be seeing FEC errors reported in your router stats.

You want Interleaving turned OFF for gaming (and on a good line like yours).

NB. Often you will see your sync change from 8128 to 7616 - but not always.

Let us know how you get on.
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Wed 26/05/10 at 11:15
Regular
Hi Luke, yeah its gaming ping he is on about he is one of those 19 year olds who all his friends live in his computer all over the world, he is addicted to World of war craft :-( he is connected via ethernet cable at all times his peak gaming times are through the night as most of his team? are based in america and africa? its all double dutch to me

Digi
Wed 26/05/10 at 11:10
Regular
"Embrace the Martian"
Well there is nothing wrong their with your speed results, but I presume your son is talking about his gaming ping time rather than anything else. Ping in gaming terms is the network latency between your console/PC and the game server and can be affected by a great number of things.

There won't be much I could suggest as to how the micro filters may have affected your ping times, however if he is connecting via WiFi he could try connecting directly to the router with an Ethernet cable to reduce ping times.
Wed 26/05/10 at 10:47
Regular
Hi Hmmm here are the test results

Download speedachieved during the test was - 5554 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :8128 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 7150 Kbps

we dont have one of those new fancy BT sockets just the very old fashioned type - I do think BT should come round every house in the UK and fit new plates as part of the line rental thought :-)

these stats from my router

noise margin upstream: 25 db
output power downstream: 12 db
attenuation upstream: 6 db

noise margin downstream: 9 db
output power upstream: 17 db
attenuation downstream: 11 db

digi

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.