GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"You there !! what magazine is worth buying?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 10/06/03 at 17:58
Regular
for the xbox? one with a free dvd chock fulla goodies preferably, good reviews, and not six tonnes of adverts.

ok, you may now recommend one (please) :
Wed 18/06/03 at 18:48
Regular
Maverick42 wrote:
> I though Xbox Gamer was best?

The DVD is the best.

Xbox World is good still.
Wed 18/06/03 at 18:44
Regular
I though Xbox Gamer was best?
Wed 18/06/03 at 18:10
Regular
Maverick42 wrote:
> Read a bit again today. Really p*ssed me off at the ignorance of these
> people, and how they advertised Halflife 2 on the cover and didn't
> mention it in the magazine.
>
> ARGH! So biased!

Solution - Don't read it. :P

(Stick with GamesTM Mav)

(And get "Xbox World" if your looking for a Xbox mag)
Wed 18/06/03 at 18:07
Regular
Read a bit again today. Really p*ssed me off at the ignorance of these people, and how they advertised Halflife 2 on the cover and didn't mention it in the magazine.

ARGH! So biased!
Tue 17/06/03 at 18:27
Regular
"TheCoolNerd on Live"
Too many "though I must says" there I think.
Tue 17/06/03 at 18:26
Regular
"TheCoolNerd on Live"
To be honest, I don't think you can expect any official publication to say "Oh, but it was better on (other console)". Official Xbox Magazine does the job it's supposed to, that is provide an enjoyable read for Xbox fanboys that gives a good indication to how good/crap a game is. Being an Xbox fanboy myself I do find it a good read although I must say that occassionally the "free" DVDs are a bit limited. The reviews are good as well, though I must say that recently they have been handing out a lot of good ratings to games that probably don't deserve them.
Sun 15/06/03 at 13:14
Regular
Hmph.

Got Official Xbox Magazine today (one with Sudeki on the front). Apart from being massively biased (more so than NOM and OPSM2 put together) they failed to deliver what was advertised on the front page and the DVD was crap. Their ratings were rubbish and the magazine was thin and boring.

Utterly awful. Especially since it's the E3 issue. Don't be fooled; avoid it.
Thu 12/06/03 at 17:39
Regular
Blinx is really not that good. I really wouldn't give it any higher than 6/10, probably 5. Giving it 9.3 is absolutely ridiculous. Takes platforming to a new level? Hah! The time travel felt more of a gimmick or excuse for astonishingly awful level design.

Magazines then. Well Official Xbox Magazine are pretty good - despite being just as biased as the next endorsed publication (e.g. NOM, OPSM2). They can also get a bit stupid at times in what they write or imply. On the plus side, you get playable demos and videos on the DVD - and the magazine's informative with a decent tips section. Just overlook the idiotic reviews if you can.

XBM are about the same magazine wise - a decent news section, good tips, etc. They're less biased, and marginally better on the reviews side (though I've found they're erratic - sometimes spot on, other times miles off). Unfortunately, there's no DVD - instead a rubbish tips book thing. Personally, I prefer OXM - but not by a long shot.

Xbox Gamer, I've found, is the best one. Each month you'll get a nicely put together DVD with game footage from all the up to date games (more than can be said for OXM's, at times, shockingly old footage). The writing in the mag is by far the better out of the three - they certainly know how to captivate/amuse the reader and the layout is very nice and it's generally extremely informative. I'd criticise their rating system, and tips section - but apart from that, great stuff. You'll occasionally get an extra free gift too (they gave away a Halo official guide one issue) and there's always the girls pictured throughout :D.

Looking at multiformat, Games Master is short and tabloid-ish - like 'CUBE' but worse. Edge is purposely controversial and boring, whereas GamesTM are excellent, funny, tell it like it is, 180 pages long and very informative. My favourite magazine.
Thu 12/06/03 at 14:43
Regular
"TheCoolNerd on Live"
As an obsessive games magazine fan I believe have a pretty good idea about what's good and what's crap. My favourite Xbox mag is OXM even though I occassionally think they overrate certain games such as Blinx and Enter the Matrix. However, I do find it is generally accurate and honest. Would a biased magazine give a game 0.8/10 (Gravity Games)? The other Xbox mags are fairly average but most follow the same kind of standard. Xbox Gamer is definitely the worst though, sold by simply putting naked women on the cover when what's inside is of a fairly low quality.

As for multi-format mags, Edge is the best, most informative and honest games mag you will ever read. GamesMaster is slipping in quality and C&VG went round the U-bend a long time ago.
Thu 12/06/03 at 14:21
Regular
Xbox Gamer

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.