GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Are kids stupid?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 23/10/01 at 16:22
Regular
Are they?

I certainly don't feel any different now I'm 'grown up'. Isn't it annoying how you're not allowed to do certain things when you're young?

You're supposed to be 16 before you're left in the house on your own. You have to be 15 to watch some films. You have to be 17 to drive. I could go on.
I don't feel like I'm more responsible now than I was ten years ago. Does anyone else?

Why don't people have the same regard for a child's intellectual opinions as they do an adults?
"He's just a kid, what does he know?"
I took an IQ test when I was nine and I got the same score as I did just a year or so ago. If anything, I'd say I used to be smarter.

Why are people suprised when a kid does something clever, puts forward a decent opinion, or any other triviality which you wouldn't comment on in an adult?
Sun 28/10/01 at 20:04
Regular
"Excommunicated"
I was never really stupid or dull

What annoys me is bloody old people going on about how exams are easier and lifes easier for youngsters.

I am only 15... barely out of playing with lego and going to bed early... and it is bloody stressful.

So there :-P
Sun 28/10/01 at 19:19
Regular
Most kids are dull, because they're still learning. Some are naturally talented, but dull in other areas.

Intelligence comes from the first view of your own limitations, and without that, you only plod on with little understanding of yourself, and perhaps a true genius needs not know how to add quickly, but only needs to know themselves better than any person can label them.

I've been with myself seventeen years, and I'm only just beginning to understand me.
Sun 28/10/01 at 19:11
Regular
"Fat Red-Capped Vale"
In escence, yes, kids are stupid. If you're speaking of a hyperactive 10 or 11 year old, then it means running around and going to tell on the teacher or some rediculous tripe to that effect. Come on, we've all been there. It would be your pre-adolescent stages of youth. A friend annoys you and so you tell the teacher. By god, girls are a lot worse. I quote my sister, "I'm telling of you because you won't play with me". When my sister blurted this out, I promplty laughed in her face and replied with, "You do that". Quite a funny moment, which shows that stupid kids can create comedy.

As of this moment, I am 13. I've matured since the aforementioned example and I do more adult thing which I shant delve into too much as it is probably inappropriate. I now play gorier games, watch ruder films, and listen to more profanity-based music. I am what most like to call a "young adult". The problem with kids in this day and age are that they like to grow up too quickly. They want to be 18 so they can watch that great movie or drive that fast car or even do that naughty thing. I think the opposite, the only thing I want now is a job to get me some extra dough to buy games or DVD's with. Enjoy your youth, my dad says, "It goes by like a flash. Within moments, you'll be shrinking and have a receeding hairline".

I stress to all of my fellow teenagers, treasure your youth!
Sun 28/10/01 at 19:08
Regular
"smile, it's free"
etila wrote:
BY THE WAY: IQ tests are not much
> of a guide could you find the solve algebraic equations like: 1,3,6,10,... what
> is the nth term? i doubt it. Some kids are itelligent many getting to 'GCSE'
> level at a younger age than normal, I am supposed to be working at GCSE C level
> in most of my subjects and I am only 13! surely they should make these tests
> harder! As time goes on people get more intelligent; a simple minded teenager
> could probably get a higher score than Pythagorus in a IQ test or even one about
> his OWN THEREOUM.

How much do you know about IQ tests?

An IQ test is a test of the raw intellectual potential of the brain. They (IQ tests) use simple mechanics that anyone can understand - eg, 'which is the odd one out', or 'which comes next in this sequence'. A simple minded teenager wouldn't get anywhere near the same score as Pythagorus.
Sun 28/10/01 at 19:03
Regular
"May Contain Nuts"
Meka_Dragon wrote:
I don't think kids as a whole are as stupid as they're made
> out to be, but then again, I don't think that todays teens are as smart as
> yesterdays - those that were teens 10 years or more ago. Just look at the
> standard of the English on these forums for signs of this, it is genuinely
> surprising to find that some young people are capable of stringing two or more
> sentences together.

Kids only know what they are taught, so in a way you could say adults are only as smart as the kids! But some of the teaching in schools in this country are great. Lanuages is one of the worst areas!
Sun 28/10/01 at 18:48
Regular
"This one goes to 11"
Starlight wrote:
> Your name is supposed to represent your persoality

Well, that's me sorted!
Wed 24/10/01 at 21:13
Starlight wrote:
> Your name is supposed to represent your persoality

um....

be right back!
Wed 24/10/01 at 20:38
Meka_Dragon wrote:

I don't think kids as a whole are as stupid as they're made
> out to be, but then again, I don't think that todays teens are as smart as
> yesterdays - those that were teens 10 years or more ago. Just look at the
> standard of the English on these forums for signs of this, it is genuinely
> surprising to find that some young people are capable of stringing two or more
> sentences together.

errr they're just lazy, i'm only thirteen but I can create more intelligent conversations than say a thirty year old.
But adults are better developed than children: they can control their emotions more, their bodies are more developed, they have more general knowledge, due to the links in their brain.
BY THE WAY: IQ tests are not much of a guide could you find the solve algebraic equations like: 1,3,6,10,... what is the nth term? i doubt it. Some kids are itelligent many getting to 'GCSE' level at a younger age than normal, I am supposed to be working at GCSE C level in most of my subjects and I am only 13! surely they should make these tests harder! As time goes on people get more intelligent; a simple minded teenager could probably get a higher score than Pythagorus in a IQ test or even one about his OWN THEREOUM.
Concluding this post, kids are learning but most can still have a bit of intelligence about them, don't just think of them as stupid, ignorant vessels, talk to them and they normally will be able to converse intelligently.
Etila
={B}
Wed 24/10/01 at 20:13
Regular
"Death to the Infide"
Like all people, kids can be smart or dumb. BUT as most people are insanely stupid, so are most children.

I do get your point on age restriction though. I hate this car insurance thing where you have to be 21 before they bring down the premiums!
Wed 24/10/01 at 12:17
Regular
"not dead"
Are kids stupid?

Mine aren't.

Then again, when playing hide and seek with Malibu, once I've finished counting to ten, and open my eyes, Malibu is often standing right in front of me, with her hands over her eyes.

Either that or behind something, and if I approach it she'll shout "Boo!" or "Here I am!" (though to the untrained ear it sounds like gobbledy-gook!)

I don't think kids as a whole are as stupid as they're made out to be, but then again, I don't think that todays teens are as smart as yesterdays - those that were teens 10 years or more ago. Just look at the standard of the English on these forums for signs of this, it is genuinely surprising to find that some young people are capable of stringing two or more sentences together.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.