GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A mind boggleing question, is there an edge to the universe???"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 22/10/01 at 19:00
Regular
One thing which always gets me thinking and in the end ususally hitting myself to stop me thinking about it, is the universe. What kind of a strange place do we live in, do you have any theory's which you want to share?
Is there an edge to the universe?
What if we are just living in some small spec of dirt for an aliens world?
How far is as far as the eye can see?
And another thing which really gets me annoyed is this quote: If a tree falls in the woods and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?
These are the things which can drive a man to madness.
But just remember, E=M C squared.
Tue 23/10/01 at 09:47
Regular
"Bored, Bored, Bored"
WolfGirl wrote:
hooplah, do you have a white coat?

Yes, I have several....
Tue 23/10/01 at 09:30
Regular
Yes a tree makes a noise.

A noise is simply air particles virbrating. So anything that causes air particles to move/vibrate makes a noise.

Simple.

Also, I did know what E=MC^2 means. Bloody A-level physics....
Tue 23/10/01 at 01:39
Regular
"You've upset me"
Oh, and believe it or not, I did know about the existence of the fourth dimension.

Length
Breadth
Depth and
Space/Time :-P

:-)
Tue 23/10/01 at 01:36
Regular
"You've upset me"
Or if you're Holly from Red Dwarf:

E = Energy
MC = Master of Ceremonies :-D
Tue 23/10/01 at 00:41
Regular
Goatboy wrote:
> Yeah, what he said.

AND he's a scientist, so he knows this stuff.

hooplah, do you have a white coat?
Tue 23/10/01 at 00:17
usually if i can't understand a word in a post that means it's usually right so going to agree with old hooplah there

however with the tree making a noise thing i always thought yes it did make a noise til i saw a simpsons episode when that question popped up and lisa said *but how can sound exist with no one around to hear it* so now i'm just too confused
Tue 23/10/01 at 00:01
Regular
"Bored, Bored, Bored"
Damn right...
Mon 22/10/01 at 23:59
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Yeah, what he said.

AND he's a scientist, so he knows this stuff.
Mon 22/10/01 at 23:44
Regular
"Bored, Bored, Bored"
Current thinking dictates that the universe is actually finite in size, though it doesn't have any boundaries to speak of, if you take into account the fourth dimension.

Wow, the forth dimension eh? That sounds a bit sci fi, but not as much as you might think. The forth dimension is commonly refered by astro physicists and other smart people as space/time. Watch enough Science Fiction, or study Physics and you will eventually hear of this fantastically named dimension, usually with reference to time travel or black holes.

Visualising four dimensions is not the simplest of things to do, so it is often reprented in two, with an X axis (time) and Y axis (space).

Now imagine that our universe as being a two dimensional surface of a snooker ball, or any other spherical object you care to picture. That surface has a finite area to it, you can work out what it is using euclidian geometry, that's the nasty normal geometry you do at school. So the sphere has a surface area, but no edges to speak of. If you were to get in a plane and fly across the surface of the earth you would eventually get back to where you started from, without falling of the edge, contrary to what some people might of though not so long ago.

So if our universe exsisted as a two dimensional object, but those dimensions were space and time, by using some fairly heavyweight maths with non euclidean geometry and imaginary numbers (which despite the name, do exsist), you can theorise that the universe has a finite area (won't go on for ever)but for practical purposes (us) it has no boundaries. In theory you could head of in a straight line and the curvature of space caused by the mass of the universe would bring you back to where you started from.

SO after all of that, I think that the universe has no edges.

If a tree falls in the woods it still makes a noise, thermodynamics says so.

E stands for Energy
M for Mass
C squared is the speed of light squared.
Mon 22/10/01 at 20:14
"High polygon count"
The universe is still expanding, the scientists tell us.

But what is it expanding into?

For it to be expanding, there must be a finite end to space. What lies beyond it?

Is the universe just a 'bubble' containing all that we know?

Brain-busting, isn't it?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.