GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A mind boggleing question, is there an edge to the universe???"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 22/10/01 at 19:00
Regular
One thing which always gets me thinking and in the end ususally hitting myself to stop me thinking about it, is the universe. What kind of a strange place do we live in, do you have any theory's which you want to share?
Is there an edge to the universe?
What if we are just living in some small spec of dirt for an aliens world?
How far is as far as the eye can see?
And another thing which really gets me annoyed is this quote: If a tree falls in the woods and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?
These are the things which can drive a man to madness.
But just remember, E=M C squared.
Sat 15/05/10 at 21:31
Regular
A quick jaunt around great Hill and its surroundings, meet at Hare & Hounds at 8.00am. Early start as a few of us have other commitments later in the morning.
Mon 29/10/01 at 11:56
Regular
"Bored, Bored, Bored"
Edwin25 wrote
Wormholes are allowed to exist through a loophole in physics and general relativity, in that it is a symmetrical theory. This means that there is a solution for 'White holes' as well as black, through the use of a negative square root (imaginary) function of a symmetrical metric known as the Schwartzchild Metric.

Brain...hurts....simplify.........

The Schwartzchild Metric is a mathematical solution to Einstein's field equation, which Einstein initially used to predict the position of Mercury within our solar system. Although very accurate, Einstein's result was still an approximation, so German mathematician Karl Schwartzchild set out to provide a more accurate solution. Put simply, The Schwartzchild Metric provides an equation for predicting the position of objects via their mass/gravitational field. Schwartzchild died of before the full potential of his solution was realised (he produced this while in the German Trenches in WWI), that being the full description of a star that holds every thing back, including light.

Like the Field equations it is derived from, and like a vast majority of classical physics (Newton etc) the Schwartzchild metric has a type of symmetry. In this case it means that the equation functions with equal satisfaction in the forwards and backward directions of physical constants or variables, like time for example. The Schwartzchild metric that accurately describes the behaviour of black holes can be 'inverted' by using an imaginary number, which is a mathematical trick that allows the production of the square root of a negative number (try doing that on a calculator, it'll have a fit).

So all this does is predict that, as we have black holes that drag in everything unfortunate to cross the event horizon, mathematically there are white holes that do the exact opposite.

Hope that helpedÖ..
Fri 26/10/01 at 21:50
Regular
"smile, it's free"
The GingerLord wrote:
can we say for certain that when you
> look at something you see the same things. For example: I look at grass, I see
> it is green. But can we tell whether my version of green is the same as someone
> elses?

As Hooplah said, you are recieving the same wavelength of light as everyone else - however, we all have different numbers of cones and rods in our eyes (responsible for colour/brightness detection), so almost certainly you don't see exactly what everyone else sees, but you see something which is almost exactly the same.
Fri 26/10/01 at 20:29
Regular
"Death to the Infide"
Hooplah wrote:
> Edwin25 wrote:
Actually their is an edge to the universe.
(in theory)
U
> see, the uni' is like a giant bubble, with all the gals stretched along the
> suffice (thing balloon with specs of dirt on it)
Thing is, their is NOTHING
> (not even space) outside or inside the balloon.
This means you could cut a
> giant hole through the middle of the universe, instead of goin around.
> (wormholes are based on this theory)
This is just one of the main theories
> flotin around. Time loop and baby universes all have a base in logic and
> astrophysics. Maybe we'll find out the real answer when we die....

You've
> miss-interpreted the balloon analogy commonly used to demonstrate universal
> expansion, whereby the huge majority galaxies within our universe appear to be
> moving away from each other. This has nothing to do with whether the Universe
> has an edge, and was used initially to place the 'Big Bang' explanation firmly
> in the drivers seat over the then currently accepted Steady State
> theory.

No, the ballon example is used today to explain why nothing can ever be at the centre of the universe. It is a flexible theory. And it is only a theroy. Im probably wrong, im not an expert.

Wormholes are associated with a product of General Relativity, which
> suggests that a special type or rotating black hole (Kerr) can act as a faster
> than light tunnel through space/time. These Kerr black holes differ from regular
> types in that, through their rotation they produce an effect known as Frame
> Dragging, which is a part of general relativity that predicts that objects
> create distortions in space and time through their rotation. This frame dragging
> causes the collapsing star that produced the black hole to fail to produce a
> singularity. The framed dragged bridge between two black holes is known as an
> Einstien-Rosen-Podolsky Bridge, which would theoretically collapse if matter
> approached it. They could be kept open with a sufficient kind of negative
> energy, which is sometimes referred to as exotic matter. Negative energy is a
> solution produced by Quantum Mechanics, via the Heisenburg Uncertainty
> Principle. It isn't very clear how the bridge would connect wormholes/black
> holes. You certainly wouldn't be able to control at what point/time in the
> universe you might re-appear in.

I never said u would. I just said u could cut through.

Wormholes are allowed to exist through a
> loophole in physics and general relativity, in that it is a symmetrical theory.
> This means that there is a solution for 'White holes' as well as black, through
> the use of a negative square root (imaginary) function of a symmetrical metric
> known as the Schwartzchild Metric.

Brain...hurts....simplify.........

The likelihood of a wormhole existing,
> based on what we currently assume to be the cutting edge of physics is very
> small, but is very interesting nonetheless!

I wish i had a wormhole to pamelas andersons bedroom.....

Lol
Fri 26/10/01 at 10:53
Regular
"Bored, Bored, Bored"
Edwin25 wrote:
(in theory)
U see, the uni' is like a giant bubble, with all the gals stretched along the suffice (thing balloon with specs of dirt on it)
Thing is, their is NOTHING (not even space) outside or inside the balloon.
This means you could cut a giant hole through the middle of the universe, instead of goin around. (wormholes are based on this theory)
This is just one of the main theories flotin around. Time loop and baby universes all have a base in logic and astrophysics. Maybe we'll find out the real answer when we die....

You've miss-interpreted the balloon analogy commonly used to demonstrate universal expansion, whereby the huge majority galaxies within our universe appear to be moving away from each other. This has nothing to do with whether the Universe has an edge, and was used initially to place the 'Big Bang' explanation firmly in the drivers seat over the then currently accepted Steady State theory.

Wormholes are associated with a product of General Relativity, which suggests that a special type or rotating black hole (Kerr) can act as a faster than light tunnel through space/time. These Kerr black holes differ from regular types in that, through their rotation they produce an effect known as Frame Dragging, which is a part of general relativity that predicts that objects create distortions in space and time through their rotation. This frame dragging causes the collapsing star that produced the black hole to fail to produce a singularity. The framed dragged bridge between two black holes is known as an Einstien-Rosen-Podolsky Bridge, which would theoretically collapse if matter approached it. They could be kept open with a sufficient kind of negative energy, which is sometimes referred to as exotic matter. Negative energy is a solution produced by Quantum Mechanics, via the Heisenburg Uncertainty Principle. It isn't very clear how the bridge would connect wormholes/black holes. You certainly wouldn't be able to control at what point/time in the universe you might re-appear in.

Wormholes are allowed to exist through a loophole in physics and general relativity, in that it is a symmetrical theory. This means that there is a solution for 'White holes' as well as black, through the use of a negative square root (imaginary) function of a symmetrical metric known as the Schwartzchild Metric.

The likelihood of a wormhole existing, based on what we currently assume to be the cutting edge of physics is very small, but is very interesting nonetheless!
Thu 25/10/01 at 23:58
There must be some kind of edge, as infinity does not exist. Despite what scientists say. If Infinity did exist then perspective wouldn't.

The universe used to be infinate, but then stopped being and chose to expand instead. This was in a time before rules.

I've got it all written somewhere. It starts with "In the beginning there was nothing, then there was toast."

I'll try and dig the story up for you, keep an eye out people!
Thu 25/10/01 at 22:04
Regular
"Death to the Infide"

(in theory)

U see, the uni' is like a giant bubble, with all the gals streched along the suface (thing ballon with specs of dirt on it)

Thing is, their is NOTHING (not even space) outside or inside the balloon.

This means you could cut a giant hole through the middle of the universe, instead of goin around. (wormholes are based on this theory)

This is just one of the main theorys flotin around. Time loop and baby universes all have a base in logic and astrophysics. Maybe we'll find out the real answer when we die....
Wed 24/10/01 at 14:35
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
And if a tree falls in the forest and squashes a mime artist, does anyone care?
Wed 24/10/01 at 13:04
Regular
"Bored, Bored, Bored"
Why certainly....
;0)

Biologically the colour that both you and I interpret as green should be the same. The wavelength of light that bounces of grass is always the same irrespective of who views it, so in the case that you've stated the grass we are looking has the colour green. If you see a colour that isn't generally accepted as being green you have a form of colour blindness, which can be detected easily with an Ishihara test (the coloured dots one with numbers in that you take at the opticians).

Red/Green colour blindness is the most common form, you'd know by now if you had it.

An easy way to tell if you are seeing the same colour as some one else is with a numbered colour chart. Look at an object then identify the colour on the number chart, if it's the same number that everyone else is picking then you are all seeing the same colour.
Wed 24/10/01 at 12:19
Regular
"I love Dave music"
Yeah I know. Sorry. But here is a question that I have wondered about. Maybe someone can give me an answer. Basically can we say for certain that when you look at something you see the same things. For example: I look at grass, I see it is green. But can we tell whether my version of green is the same as someone elses? I know it is green because people tell me that grass is green. Therefore I grow up knowing that grass is green, therefore whatever I see with a colour resembling green I know that this object is green also.

However, someone else may see grass in a colour that to me would be red, but because they have also been told this colour is green they only know that it is green.

I don't know whether this is complete rubbish, but thought that seeing as we were doing mind-boggling questions, and I've never heard a convincing argument on this, maybe someone immensely clever could help me out?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.