GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Gothics"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 22/10/01 at 13:11
Regular
You cant step into a park, walk down a street or get on some public transport without seeing some teenager dressed in black. these people are gothics or goths as they are usualy called.

why are they that way is what i want to know. its usualy connected to music. when i listen to music, like papa roach or linkin park, it doesnt make me want to dress up all in black, but it does make goths do it.in most of these bands the members dont go around looking like the way goths do, they wear baggy t-shirts etc.

me and my mate went into reading the other day. there is this park that lies between the town and the big out of town shops like comet and toys r us.i call the par 'goth park' as it is full of gothics. anyway me and my mate walked into thge park and he said 'i dont see any goths here' i told him to look at a tree, he looked over at a big tree that i was pointing to, underneath it was a group of 30 - 40 goths, just sat there.everywhere you looked the was groups of goths, some small, some big. It was a bit like steping into Jurassic park, the whole place was over run by goths.

I didnt really used to care about goths but now I do.I had been best friends with someone since year 7, then in year 10 he started to get reallyt into rock and heavy metal music.slowly we began to grow apart, then he stopped hanging with me and everyone else he used to be friends with, and befriended this group of outcasts.then we all went away for two weeks of work experience, i was on my luch break, down town and i saw the guy i just mentioned whos name is ollie.he was walking around with his mum and baby sister, wearing a big, black, hooded, maralyn manson top and he had died his hair black, and geled it up into spike things.soon rumours started to pour in when we were back at school, ollie wears black nail varnish and things like that. these rumours were confirmed last friday, when we had a non uniform day. he came to school completly goth'ed up, he had black trowsers that were covered in safety pins, loads of black, spikey braclets, another black top,a bag covered with black writing saying things like
'you have the right to bleed'which was also covered in safety pins and he had black nail varnish.he was showing off his nokia phone a bit as well, which he had spray painted black and covered with spikes. the dumbest thing of all is if you say to him that hes a goth, he will danie it and say that he isnt.

This guy ( that i just spoke about) once was my best friend, who loved nintendo.i remember him telling me onbce that he had seen a friend from his old school in town one day.his friend had gone goth since he had last seen him.ollie said to me that the boy was wearing all black, chains,spikes and even black lipstick. ollie went on to say how he took the mick out of the boy and told him how stupid he looked. i think that thios friend had something to do with his change.he had brown hair and dressed like normal people, now that he has changed i dont speak to him, i just stay away.were now in year 11, i have not made any contact with him for almost a year.

When you ask a goth why they dress in black, they usualy say something like this:

Its represents the act of death, and the meaningless of life

Its cool

I do it to be different

Why do they say it makes them different? the first few people who did it were different, but now that there are loads of them, they arnt different or unique.

If you see anyone doing these things or whearing these things, there could only be a matter of time until they go goth on you:

Wearing all black
Carrying chains
wearing spiky neclesses or braclets
dying their hair black
writing 'evil' things on their bags
painting their nails black
wearing black lipstick
sitiing still, not moving, talking or laughing in a park
or any over goth like behaviour

I just dont know why they become that way.is it a cry for help, an act of rebellion or do they just want to look dumb and have everyone take the mick ad throw things at them? we may never know.

theres a small group of goths at my school, about 4 and their kind of leader is my old best friend.is there any near you?

I hope none of you on this forum are,but if anyone is, why are you and whats good about it?

thanks for reading
CDouch
Thu 15/11/01 at 21:25
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
yeah, does it matter how they dress, if it's how they like to dress and they feel comfortable wearing it all who cares? If you are really so sad that you go around looking at people and thinking to yourself "That person looks weird, I don't like them already" then you are the one that needs help, not the 'weird' person!
Thu 15/11/01 at 20:50
Regular
"You've upset me"
Goths? Meh.

I know someone who's a Goth and a Bi-sexual. You know what? She's doing it for attention. And it's annoying...

Anyway. Goths? Who cares, people can dress and act how they want. It's their life, they can do what they like.
Thu 15/11/01 at 20:42
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> Never noticed this topic before. But goths are weird. I don't hate them, I don't
> know them. But they put a bad name to metal. I like some heavy metal but am
> definitely not a goth. They are just really weird and as you say they can never
> give a proper explanation for dressing the way they do. I don't like neds
> either. You know the rap, the sportswear etc. Why can't people be more normal?
> One of the mysteries of life I suppose...

WTF is wrong with you?!? Why the feck do you wear what you do? You say you're 'normal'! I say you are following the friggin crowd! Who gives a flying feck what the rest of the world is wearing or listening to, if everyone was 'normal' we'd all look the same, wear addidas or nike or FCUK $hite! I really don't understand people who say stuff like "why can't people be more normal?". What is normal? Are you normal? If you are I'd prefer not to be 'normal'. It seems to me you think because people dress differently they are a different race to you. But no, they could be the same. Someone who you may think is 'weird' might like the same music as you, play the same games as you, or like the same TV shows. How the feck do you know anything about them by looking at the way they choose to dress. B******s, if everyone was 'normal' would that mean all listening to 'Steps' or 'S-club 7' or the pop crap they play on the radio!

Christ I am really amazed at the amount of people saying that they think goths are weird and crap. I'm not a goth, but even some people at my school think I am a goth because I have black T-Shirts with band names on (in particular the Bad Religion T-shirt I have) and I listen to Punk Rock (although they are so ready to criticise what they don't understand they call bands they have never heard of goth bands, and many of them don't even know what gothic music actually is!). I would have thought that people who play games, because of the 'geek' image that carried until a while ago, would not judge people on their hobbies, or what music they like, or how they dress. Seems to me you are just as bad as people who a few years ago would have taken the mick out of anyone who played videogames.
Thu 15/11/01 at 20:26
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
Beware the Toads wrote:
> CDouch, I live near Reading, you're talking about Forbury Gardens right? No-one
> hangs out there anymore - the police make daily drug raids. That got'em! Problem
> is they all now hang out in the station, where I go twice a day every day
> :s

There is a difference between greebos and goths, which you have to
> remember. Greebos wear the baggy jeans and hoodies etc, but thats about the
> music. Theres also the occasional dog collar and massive keychain but thats no
> biggie.

Goths are way wierder, they have all the white face paint, black
> lipstick, messed up hair, matrixcape etc. They don do itfor the music but for
> the wierd image that no-one understands anyway.

im not, sure, i think it is. its the park between the town, and the out of town toys r us, comet and mc donalds etc.
Thu 15/11/01 at 15:30
Notorious Biggles wrote:
They are just really weird and as you say they can never
> give a proper explanation for dressing the way they do. Why can't people be more normal?
> One of the mysteries of life I suppose...

Okay, in my time served "argument flipping" fashion;

Why should they have to justify the way they dress?
Why do you dress the way you dress?
Why are your sunglasses like stars?
Thu 15/11/01 at 12:35
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
LOL.. i agree with CDouch.
Goths or wanna be goths are a strange bunch.
(But they're only trying to be original and nonconformist aren't they....that's why there are millions of the buggers!)
Thu 15/11/01 at 10:01
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Ok people... I'm an "Old Skool" Goth... and I'm only going to rant quick about this...

Goths today annoy me somewhat, especially as it has now become more of a fasion than a way of life.

It has nothing to do with the dead, vampires or blood, it was about the music when I started out back in the 80's and was a cross over between Punk and New Romantics!!

Bands like Linkin Park and Papa Roach ARE NOT GOTH and MARYLIN MANSON never will or has been Goth...

The original bands like the Sisters of Mercy, The Mission, Bauhaus, Fields of the Nephillim.. they were Goth and defined the whole Goth music scene at that time... Todays Goth scene also encompasses Industrial and EBM music like NIN, Mesh, Apoptygma Berzerk, Front 242 etc etc

As I said, these days it's a fasion, just like the "Skater" look that's come around again and eventually the sad little teenies will grow out of it... But untill then, they will continue weighing themselves down with chains, pasting them selves with black eyeliner and trying to look dead!!

Come up with something original... I am now too ashamed to be assocciated with the Goth scene because of idiots like this and am quite happy to live in the dark and avoid them at all costs!!

Rant over... because I really can't be @rsed!! i have enough Gother than though arguments with the goths round here as it is!!... True Goth was the 80's!! just as true Punk was!!
Wed 14/11/01 at 22:17
"I love yo... lamp."
Never noticed this topic before. But goths are weird. I don't hate them, I don't know them. But they put a bad name to metal. I like some heavy metal but am definitely not a goth. They are just really weird and as you say they can never give a proper explanation for dressing the way they do. I don't like neds either. You know the rap, the sportswear etc. Why can't people be more normal? One of the mysteries of life I suppose...
Sun 28/10/01 at 22:52
CDouch, I live near Reading, you're talking about Forbury Gardens right? No-one hangs out there anymore - the police make daily drug raids. That got'em! Problem is they all now hang out in the station, where I go twice a day every day :s

There is a difference between greebos and goths, which you have to remember. Greebos wear the baggy jeans and hoodies etc, but thats about the music. Theres also the occasional dog collar and massive keychain but thats no biggie.

Goths are way wierder, they have all the white face paint, black lipstick, messed up hair, matrixcape etc. They don do itfor the music but for the wierd image that no-one understands anyway.
Sun 28/10/01 at 21:57
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
PS Sheepy u sound like my kinda guy. I hate those stupid shirts and stuff with corporate logos all over em. I don't wanna be a billboard for corporate fat cats, I wear stuff that I like not what the fashion industry likes.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.