GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Philosophy: The Best of Bill Hicks"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 22/10/01 at 12:44
Regular
Whilst browsing through the confines of my local HMV, I was lucky enough to come across an import copy of Philosophy: The Best of Bill Hicks. Well, not withstanding I wrenched it from the shelf, quickly handed the cashier my hard earned money and rushed home to listen to it.

All the best Hicks stuff is here from his point of view on Smoking right to Gays in the Military and everything in between. The ironic thing is, everything he stood there and put into perspective is relevant in todayís society, I know this has been said before, but it really doesnít hit home unless you go and buy yourself a copy of this.

Also, I wouldnít advise listening to this on the Tube as sudden outbursts of hysterical laughter will causeí other people to look at you in a ìfunnyî way. Yes, I know this from personal experience.

"I lost my car, I lost my wife, I lost my job, I lost my house - don't do drugs"

"I lost my car - no wait! There it is, over there by the dumpster, see you tomorrow"
Mon 22/10/01 at 12:44
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
Whilst browsing through the confines of my local HMV, I was lucky enough to come across an import copy of Philosophy: The Best of Bill Hicks. Well, not withstanding I wrenched it from the shelf, quickly handed the cashier my hard earned money and rushed home to listen to it.

All the best Hicks stuff is here from his point of view on Smoking right to Gays in the Military and everything in between. The ironic thing is, everything he stood there and put into perspective is relevant in todayís society, I know this has been said before, but it really doesnít hit home unless you go and buy yourself a copy of this.

Also, I wouldnít advise listening to this on the Tube as sudden outbursts of hysterical laughter will causeí other people to look at you in a ìfunnyî way. Yes, I know this from personal experience.

"I lost my car, I lost my wife, I lost my job, I lost my house - don't do drugs"

"I lost my car - no wait! There it is, over there by the dumpster, see you tomorrow"
Mon 22/10/01 at 13:23
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Ah Mr Hicks and the "new" CD.
There has been massive argument and debate over at billhicks.com as to whether this counts as a new CD at all.

Basically, if you are new to Bill Hicks, this is an excellent starting point.
There are currently 4 CDs of his work out:

Dangerous
Relentless
Arizona Bay
Rant in E-Minor.

The "Philisophy" CD merely takes some of the bits from the other 4 CDs and puts them here.
For Hicks fans, it's nothing new as you probably will already have the other ones.
So I recommend this for anyone that's not too sure about whether they would like Bill Hicks (and if you have a brain, a soul and a loathing of corporate mentality, then you will love him).

His parents and friend/producer tried to stop Rykodisc from releasing this CD, as it offered nothing new and they felt it was just cashing in on Bill's death (His mother is trawling through years of unreleased recordings for new CDs due out in a year or so).

Philosophy contains his classic routines on things like Dinosaurs in the Bible to the politics of America ("It's not that I disagree with Bush's economic policies or foreign policies, it's that I believe he is the child of Satan sent to earth to destroy us all").

Bill speaks from his heart and can change the way you view the world.
If you dont know about Hicks, get this CD as an introduction to his work, although it lacks the absolute masterful routine on stars that do commercials.

He goes from Jay Leno committing suicide on national television to apologise for selling Doritos ("And not even when he needed the money, what a f****** W***e, selling snacks to bovine America") to his belief that "If you do a commercial,you are off the artistic roll-call. End. Of. Story. Everything out of your mouth is suspect and every word you say is now like a crap falling into my drink".

Listen to Bill Hicks, you will thank him.
Mon 22/10/01 at 13:28
I had my very first encounter with Bill Hicks this week just gone. I watched a video, I think it was called "One night stand", it was brilliant. My only problem was that it wasn't long enough.

Goaty kindly direct me to further quality Bill Hicks videos!

(I like video's its good when you can see the chap whats talkin' at ya!)
Mon 22/10/01 at 13:33
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Mr Tarrant, it would be an honour to spread the gospel according to Hicks.

I can do you a CD with some of his material on, the stuff that isn't on Philosophy.
Also, videos available:

Relentless
Revelations
Totally Bill Hicks (A C4 documentary and Tribute show with contributions from his family and friends).

I have a couple more I ordered from the website run by Kevin Booth (his mate since childhood and producer of the albums).

Sane Man - the finest 90 of Hicks, uncensored.
Manifesto - Hick's final appearance on TV. 2hrs from a local cable-access show where he took calls from the public and spoke about everything from Waco to The Gulf.

billhicks.com
sacredcow.com
Mon 22/10/01 at 13:41
Yeah, I'd love a CD of his stuff if you wouldn't mind!

I've heard about his final appearance on TV. I'd like to see that! Doesn't he ask people working in like marketing or something to kill themselves?
Mon 22/10/01 at 13:43
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
My fav Bill routine, that he always finished with in his later performances:

"The world is like a ride in an amusement park.
And when you choose to go on it, you think it's real because that's how powerful our minds are.
And the ride goes up and down and round and round. It has thrills and chills and it's very brightly coloured and it's very loud and it's fun, for a while. Some people have been on the ride for a long time and they begin to question, is this real, or is this just a ride? And other people have remembered, and they come back to us, they say, "hey - don't worry, don't be afraid, ever, because, this is just a ride..."

And we... kill those people.
"Shut him up."
"We have a lot invested in this ride. Shut him up. Look at my furrows of worry. Look at my big bank account and my family. This just has to be real."

Just a ride.
But we always kill those good guys who try and tell us that, you ever notice that? And let the demons run amok. But it doesn't matter because: It's just a ride. And we can change it anytime we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money. A choice, right now, between fear and love. The eyes of fear want you to put bigger locks on your doors, buy guns, close yourself off. The eyes of love, instead, see all of us as one.

Here's what we can do to change the world, right now, to a better ride. Take all that money that we spend on weapons and defences each year and instead spend it feeding and clothing and educating the poor of the world, which it would many times over, not one human being excluded, and we could explore space, together, both inner and outer, forever, in peace."

That is why Bill Hicks is my personaly hero and I wish he was still here to see all this stupid crap we're doing as a race.
Mon 22/10/01 at 13:47
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I am the Tarrant wrote:
I've heard about his
> final appearance on TV. I'd like to see that! Doesn't he ask people working in
> like marketing or something to kill themselves?

Sort of.
That is from "Revelations", the last time he appeared in England. At the Dominion Theatre.
I wont put the whole thing here, because the filters wont let me, but it went roughly:

"If there's anyone here from marketing or advertising? Kill yourself. Please. No seriously, there's no joke here. Kill yourself.
I know y'all are waiting for the punchline, but there isn't one. Kill yourself, really. No, do it. I don't care how,just rid the world of your violent, evil machinations and kill yourself.
You are the ruiner of all things good and you are ****** and you are ******* the world, kill yourself.
Please, stop putting a dollar sign on every thing on this planet and kill yourself.
I'm just planting seeds here, they may take root..you do what you can.
*laughs lightly to himself*
No but really, kill yourself. You are Satan's little helpers and this is your world."

And so on for about 10 minutes.

email me at [email protected]

And I'll sort it out via email for you, it's always a pleasure to get people into Bill Hicks.
Mon 22/10/01 at 13:49
Regular
"This one goes to 11"
Why don't you start by telling me who and what he was. I've never heard of him!!
Mon 22/10/01 at 13:50
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Ok Rattlesnake, read the thread I'm trying to find and pop called "I'm Bill Hicks and I'm dead now"
Mon 22/10/01 at 13:50
cool. what am I emailing you exactly?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.