GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Online gamers, a few questions please"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 12/06/03 at 20:05
Regular
Ok, i've priced up some broadband and now i want you to tell me, online games

Do they jitter?
How long
Fri 13/06/03 at 19:06
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
No, my name is still Shocktrooper.

I made a post asking all those silly questions about what all the connections look like and FantasyMeister replied (Centurion) with a link to the playstation guides with pictures.

Oh, and now that you're here, I'm going to go for the router option, like you.
Although it looks like a lot of cables to deal with and quite a bit more money to spend, it does look like the best option. Who wants to pay £25 a month just to go online with your PS2?

So what router would you recommend?
I remember reading something that you posted earlier, about CAT5 network cables, but I can't remember which ones you said you've got, and what other names they go by on internet sites. You can buy them in shops though, yeah?

Again, thanks FM.
Fri 13/06/03 at 19:10
Regular
"Touched!"
FM..whats your name on SOCOM? Same as on here? I'm called Spikecast btw..you playing tonight?
Fri 13/06/03 at 19:18
" Crazy!"
SpikeCast, will you be joing the clan which is being made?

The greatest email to grace me for 3 days has arrived my friends, thats right the cables ahve FINALLY been dispacthed and shall arrive tomorow, if not I shall complain because I paid 2.50 for next day delivery. Set up by tomorow night it shall be, so prepare for an ass whooping.
Fri 13/06/03 at 19:22
Regular
"Touched!"
Yes i will join the clan, count me in!
Fri 13/06/03 at 19:25
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
I should be up and running online probably on Tuesday or Wednesday. Have things to do before then so won't be able to play it until then. Plus i'm ordering the Adapter on Saturday
Fri 13/06/03 at 19:32
" Crazy!"
Try to avoid ordering from Ebuyer if possible, I ordered Tuesday night and I got the confirmation email 35mins ago.
Fri 13/06/03 at 19:34
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
I'm getting it from here. Last time i ordered something it arrived pretty quick.
Fri 13/06/03 at 19:48
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
I think I may have a problem.

My PC's modem is built-in.
The phone line that connects to the modem does so via a small hole, in which the wire cannot be pulled out.
There is a promising-looking port somewhere higher up on the tower. It's a USB port. I don't know if that has anything to do with it, but I'm hoping it does.
Otherwise, it looks as though this in-built modem may not allow broadband in.

Help, anyone?
Fri 13/06/03 at 22:43
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Shocktrooper wrote:
> Help, anyone?

Check with NTL what kind of Network Interface Card they require you to have in your computer before ordering their broadband service. If you're on 56k dialup at present then it looks like you've got an internal 56k modem in your PC. That'll need to go unless it's also 10/100 compliant, NTL will give you details on exactly what type of Network Interface Card you'll require.

For a router, make sure firstly that NTL are providing you with an ethernet modem which uses RJ45 connectors. If they mention USB connectors or that it's a USB modem, then you've got to do your research on ICS/USB Router options on the Sony Network Guides. (And I'm useless at USB modem/router queries).

It it's an ethernet modem then you're fine, just buy a "Linksys BEFSR41 4-port ethernet router" from dabs.com, and one bit of 'CAT5e patch/straight through/ethernet cable' from the same place. There's only two types of network cable, straight through and crossover. You want straight through. If you want to know the difference they're mentioned on the Sony Network Guides. (Basically EVERYTHING is listed on the Sony Network Guides but nobody ever reads them). Get whatever length you'll need to go from your router (which you'll put next to your NTL cable modem probably, the Linksys router is about the size of a small hardback book, so is an NTL cable modem), to your PS2. Anything from 3m long to 100m long should do it. Colour doesn't matter unless the misses insists that everything is coordinated.

Then just follow the instructions to get the router set up and then the PS2 online. 40 minutes from start to finish.
Fri 13/06/03 at 22:46
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
sPiKeCaSt wrote:
> FM..whats your name on SOCOM? Same as on here? I'm called Spikecast
> btw..you playing tonight?

On SOCOM I'm [OAP] Fantasy.
On PS2 Online I'm just plain old FantasyMeister.
No, can't play tonight, but I'll be there tomorrow I suspect. I'm going to be targetting everyone from the Playstation.com forums who started a 'Help' thread asking crazy questions instead of reading the Guides.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.