GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"BT Broadband"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 14/06/03 at 15:04
Regular
I want to get Broadband with BT for the fast internet but also for online gaming but im unsure about prices and how it works when you want to network because my sisters just got a PC and also wants the braodband so does anyone know how it works with networking? and what are the prices. Any help would be much much appreciated
Sat 14/06/03 at 18:35
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
Longÿ wrote:
> ok then because my sisters fiance seems to think she wont be able to
> connect without the USB port because it's needed to plug into the
> router

Well go and ask your sisters fiance if he's had 5 years dealing with networks ie LAN's and WAN's. If he has then ok but he's still wrong.

Trust me on this, if you get everything that FM and I have suggested all will be ok.
Sat 14/06/03 at 18:34
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Longÿ wrote:
> ok then because my sisters fiance seems to think she wont be able to
> connect without the USB port because it's needed to plug into the
> router

This is what a network interface card looks like by the way:
http://pcworld.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/ (space) masterid=507832/ut=3e1e62076e3be7dc

See that little socket in the metal bracket? That's where an RJ45 connection goes. If your sister has one of those cards she can connect an ethernet cable to her PC and go online via either an ethernet modem or ethernet router.
Sat 14/06/03 at 18:30
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Longÿ wrote:
> yeah i know but it is hard to understand

Trust me, 3 months ago I knew less about this stuff than you do. I didn't know what a router was, I'd never heard of ethernet cable or NIC or ICS and I didn't know my cable modem was called a cable modem.

I reckon it took me about 3 weeks in total to gain my current partial understanding of what all this stuff actually does and looks like and how it works and where to get it. I got that by reading the Sony Guides and posts like this and by chatting to my ISP tech support.

So keep at it, you'll get there :)
Sat 14/06/03 at 18:28
Regular
"WWJD"
ok then because my sisters fiance seems to think she wont be able to connect without the USB port because it's needed to plug into the router
Sat 14/06/03 at 18:25
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
Yes

Look your going to have 3 things plugged into one piece of equipment.

1 Your sisters computer
2 Your computer
3 Your PS2

The 2 PC's will have NIC installed in them.

Running from them both and the PS2 will be 3 CAT5 leads, they will all end up at the same place....ie your router, they will all plug into the router and the router will do the Internet sharing for you.

Forget about USB connections and read the guides that FM has posted for you.
Sat 14/06/03 at 18:21
Regular
"WWJD"
yeah i know but it is hard to understand but i think ive got it but now can my sisters computer be connected in if it does not have a USB port?
Sat 14/06/03 at 18:18
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
Longy are you actually reading our posts?

Both FM & myself said that you will need to buy a NIC, this will then be installed into your sister and your computer and the cable will plug from there into the router.

FM has also given you loads of links to read so try them as well.
Sat 14/06/03 at 18:14
Regular
"WWJD"
Ok im lost. My sisters computer doesn't have a USB port will that mean she can't have broadband?
Sat 14/06/03 at 16:13
Regular
"Touched!"
Hey FM, you online later tonight?
Sat 14/06/03 at 16:01
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
See he knows what he's talking about :)

Plus I'm glad I spelt your name right FM :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.