GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"BT Broadband"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 14/06/03 at 15:04
Regular
I want to get Broadband with BT for the fast internet but also for online gaming but im unsure about prices and how it works when you want to network because my sisters just got a PC and also wants the braodband so does anyone know how it works with networking? and what are the prices. Any help would be much much appreciated
Sat 14/06/03 at 15:04
Regular
"WWJD"
I want to get Broadband with BT for the fast internet but also for online gaming but im unsure about prices and how it works when you want to network because my sisters just got a PC and also wants the braodband so does anyone know how it works with networking? and what are the prices. Any help would be much much appreciated
Sat 14/06/03 at 15:52
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
If your going to have 2 computers in your house, both accessing the NET via broadband plus also have your PS2 networked to play online games then I'd suggest you buy a router. Probably best to have a look at what FantasyMeister has bought as this seems to be very good.

Plus you'll need to purchase some NICs (Network Interface Cards) for both yours and your sisters computers. You will also need to buy some CAT5 cable to got from the router to your computes & PS2.

Have you made sure that BB is available in your area? If you goto BT's website then you should be able to find out with your postcode if it's available.
Sat 14/06/03 at 15:56
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
This straight off of www.bt.com

Order before 30 June 2003 - for activation before 31 July 2003 - and you'll enjoy:

FREE connection - normal price £30 since 30 April 2003, previously £60
Discount when you order your broadband modem online
Monthly fee of just £27.00

If you goto www.adslguide.org.uk you will find loads and loads of information with regards to prices and services etc, don't think that you have to go with BT as you'll be able to go with any ISP (that offer BB connection).

I'm currently with Pipex and they charge about £23 per month.
Sat 14/06/03 at 15:56
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
BT Broadband provide you with a USB modem, which is a pain if you want to get online with the PS2 as well.

You need a home network with 2 PCs and a PS2 all connected together.

To do this, buy one of these:
http://www.netgear.com/products/details/DM602.asp?view=hm

Use this in place of the BT supplied modem.

Then buy one of these:
http://www.netgear.com/products/details/RP614.asp?view=hm

Which takes your BT Broadband signal and splits it up to 4 ways (you'll only need 3 of them).

With that setup, you can use both PCs and the PS2 online all at the same time with no loss of speed.

To connect everything together, you'll need one ethernet straight through cable to connect the modem to the router, and 3 ethernet straight through cables to connect the router to the RJ45 ports on your 2 PCs and the PS2.
If your PCs use USB ports to connect to the internet feed normally, just buy a cheap 10/100 Network Interface Card and install it in each one. (These use RJ45 type connections).

Voila, you got yourself a home network. If you want to read up on all the techie terms etc., have a browse through the Sony Network Guides. Although PS2 orientated, there's nothing there about home networking that isn't really covered, they even provide links to home networking vendors who sell the proper kit (Netgear is one of those vendors).

Sony Guides are at http://uk.playstation.com/networkgaming/guides.jhtml
Sat 14/06/03 at 16:01
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
See he knows what he's talking about :)

Plus I'm glad I spelt your name right FM :)
Sat 14/06/03 at 16:13
Regular
"Touched!"
Hey FM, you online later tonight?
Sat 14/06/03 at 18:14
Regular
"WWJD"
Ok im lost. My sisters computer doesn't have a USB port will that mean she can't have broadband?
Sat 14/06/03 at 18:18
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
Longy are you actually reading our posts?

Both FM & myself said that you will need to buy a NIC, this will then be installed into your sister and your computer and the cable will plug from there into the router.

FM has also given you loads of links to read so try them as well.
Sat 14/06/03 at 18:21
Regular
"WWJD"
yeah i know but it is hard to understand but i think ive got it but now can my sisters computer be connected in if it does not have a USB port?
Sat 14/06/03 at 18:25
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
Yes

Look your going to have 3 things plugged into one piece of equipment.

1 Your sisters computer
2 Your computer
3 Your PS2

The 2 PC's will have NIC installed in them.

Running from them both and the PS2 will be 3 CAT5 leads, they will all end up at the same place....ie your router, they will all plug into the router and the router will do the Internet sharing for you.

Forget about USB connections and read the guides that FM has posted for you.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.