GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"SEGA developing for Nintendo - good or bad?"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 19/10/01 at 17:07
Regular
Now that SEGA have become third party developers, what are your opinions on their decision to develop for Nintendo consoles, along with other formats? SEGA will be developing for both Gamecube and Game Boy Advance. Here's the current Gamecube list (or at least what I've heard of):

Phantasy Star Online: ver. 2
Planet Harriers
Sonic Adventure 2: Battle
Super Monkey Ball
Virtua Striker 3: ver. 2001

And here's their Game Boy Advance list (or at least what I've heard of):

Advance Columns
ChuChu Rocket!
Poyo Poyo
Sonic Adenture

Get posting people! I especially want to hear from Edgy, because he always has really good and unbiased opinions about laods of subjects.
Mon 22/10/01 at 00:12
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Dark Mark wrote:
> Too true, cookie monster. Too true.

Blink's "Aliens Exist" is
> brilliant. I reckon that SEGA's next Crazy Taxi game (coming to XBox, fact
> fans!) should feature songs from loadsa bands like Offspring, Blink 182, Garbage
> and Papa Roach. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 had loads of cool tracks from real
> bands, which was totally awesome. I also think that S Club 7 should have songs
> put into the next Crazy Taxi game................(sound of gunfire!)

LOL, "Aliens exist" was my fave song on enema of the state. Im not sure about Papa Roach, i think Linkin Park should be in every game ffrom now on, their music is excellent as well.
Mon 22/10/01 at 00:10
Regular
"Remember me?"
Too true, cookie monster. Too true.

Blink's "Aliens Exist" is brilliant. I reckon that SEGA's next Crazy Taxi game (coming to XBox, fact fans!) should feature songs from loadsa bands like Offspring, Blink 182, Garbage and Papa Roach. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 had loads of cool tracks from real bands, which was totally awesome. I also think that S Club 7 should have songs put into the next Crazy Taxi game................(sound of gunfire!)
Mon 22/10/01 at 00:03
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Dark Mark wrote:

OFFSPRING RULE? YOU F**KING BET THEY ROCK! I've
> never actually played the Craxy Taxi games but I chose Crazy Taxi 2 for the
> Dreamcast seeing as I won Gameaday on 16/10/2001 for posting a review of Turok:
> Rage Wars on the N64. Go see my review, 'cos it must be good if it was the
> review that made me win Gameaday. I'd also only been registered for a week when
> I won, fact fans.

Anyway, back to Offspring and Crazy
> Taxi......

Offspring's "Original Prankster" totally kicks ass.
> Personally though, I'm more into Blink 182.

Blink 182 are awesome as well, but i could never choose which one is better between blink and offspring, they are both great bands.
Mon 22/10/01 at 00:01
Regular
"Remember me?"
cookie monster wrote:
> SEGA have made some really good games, especially crazy taxi, i only played it
> for a little while on display in Virgin, but it was pure quality, and that
> offspring track in the background is rocking!

OFFSPRING RULE!

OFFSPRING RULE? YOU F**KING BET THEY ROCK! I've never actually played the Craxy Taxi games but I chose Crazy Taxi 2 for the Dreamcast seeing as I won Gameaday on 16/10/2001 for posting a review of Turok: Rage Wars on the N64. Go see my review, 'cos it must be good if it was the review that made me win Gameaday. I'd also only been registered for a week when I won, fact fans.

Anyway, back to Offspring and Crazy Taxi......

Offspring's "Original Prankster" totally kicks ass. Personally though, I'm more into Blink 182.
Sun 21/10/01 at 23:57
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
SEGA have made some really good games, especially crazy taxi, i only played it for a little while on display in Virgin, but it was pure quality, and that offspring track in the background is rocking!

OFFSPRING RULE!
Sun 21/10/01 at 23:50
Regular
"Remember me?"
Edgy wrote:
> I don't think Sega would have gone bust if they didn't start developing for
> other consoles like they used to, however they would have been in a financial
> predicament.

Luckily, for us gamers, Sega saw sense in developing for other
> consoles, and since they first announced that they would be making games on
> Nintendo's machines, most gamers have welcomed them with open arms.

However,
> there have been a few gamers, quite a large amount actually, from both sides,
> Nintendo and Sega, who find it hard to accept that the rivals are now close
> allies. They will probably see sense themselves though, if they see Mario and
> Sonic the Hedgehog in the same game together (maybe as a secret character in
> Super Smash Bros Melee?).

I seriously doubt that there's any chance of Sega
> going bust now that they are developing for other consoles. From what I've
> heard, Bill Gates is extremely delighted with the deals between Microsoft and
> Sega, and Nintendo are even happier that Sonic Team are working on GameCube
> media.

This means that for those of us who have stuck to Nintendo for all
> these years will almost definately see a rise in the level of quality games from
> Nintendo and Rare themselves. Now that Nintendo's ex-rivals are working on the
> same console, Nintendo will still want to be the best and most popular by making
> games the best they possibly can be. I've seen screenshots of Star Wars Rogue
> Leader and they look almost movielike! And Sega's Super Monkey Ball looks like a
> lot of hard work went into it too.

In the end, it all comes down to us
> gamers. If we spend enough, the games and machines will improve (or start
> lowering in price), but if we spend enough with just Sega, then maybe they'll
> become better at developing games on the GameCube than Nintendo themselves!

I don't know about SEGA developing the best games for the Gamecube and in all honesty I do think that SEGA would have gone bust if they didn't cease console development as games companies who make consoles always lose money on console development to make more money back on software so SEGA, in their present financial situation, would have almost definately gone bust. But that doesn't stop them from being the best games developers that the world has ever seen, and their unique style of videogames is sure to make a lot of Gamecube, GBA, XBox and PS2 owners pretty happy (especially PS2 owners as they're suffering a severe lack of decent games, snigger!).
Sun 21/10/01 at 22:59
Regular
I don't think Sega would have gone bust if they didn't start developing for other consoles like they used to, however they would have been in a financial predicament.

Luckily, for us gamers, Sega saw sense in developing for other consoles, and since they first announced that they would be making games on Nintendo's machines, most gamers have welcomed them with open arms.

However, there have been a few gamers, quite a large amount actually, from both sides, Nintendo and Sega, who find it hard to accept that the rivals are now close allies. They will probably see sense themselves though, if they see Mario and Sonic the Hedgehog in the same game together (maybe as a secret character in Super Smash Bros Melee?).

I seriously doubt that there's any chance of Sega going bust now that they are developing for other consoles. From what I've heard, Bill Gates is extremely delighted with the deals between Microsoft and Sega, and Nintendo are even happier that Sonic Team are working on GameCube media.

This means that for those of us who have stuck to Nintendo for all these years will almost definately see a rise in the level of quality games from Nintendo and Rare themselves. Now that Nintendo's ex-rivals are working on the same console, Nintendo will still want to be the best and most popular by making games the best they possibly can be. I've seen screenshots of Star Wars Rogue Leader and they look almost movielike! And Sega's Super Monkey Ball looks like a lot of hard work went into it too.

In the end, it all comes down to us gamers. If we spend enough, the games and machines will improve (or start lowering in price), but if we spend enough with just Sega, then maybe they'll become better at developing games on the GameCube than Nintendo themselves!
Sun 21/10/01 at 22:45
Regular
"Remember me?"
I agree with everything said along the lines of how SEGA's games are of a different style to Nintendo's and how it'll be "groovy" (ahem, sorry) to own both Nintendo and SEGA games for the same console. But, how many of you realise that if SEGA didn't decide to become third party developers and make games for rival consoles, there probably wouldn't be a SEGA left? Seeing as SEGA lost hell of a lot of money due to the Dreamcast (still a great console though so if you ain't got one, get one and get Sonic Adventure 2, Quake 3 and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2!), they made a very wise decision to cease production of any future consoles. This decision, although probably a blow for most SEGA supporters, means that SEGA will be able to deliver their awesome games to an even wider audience than ever before, because Gamecube, Game Boy Advance, XBox, PS2 and don't forget Dreamcast owners will now be able to experience SEGA's magical brand of game styles. Another thing to bear in mind is that after SEGA started out by making arcade games, they also developed games for the really old consoles like the Atari 2600 and the Colecovision (no, I never heard of them either but they did exist).

PS. Tiltawhirl said that he/she/it would like an update
of Space Harriers on the Gamecube. In case he/she/it
hadn't noticed by now (which I'm sure he/she/it did),
Planet Harriers is an update of Space Harriers. AYE!
REALISE!
Sun 21/10/01 at 21:16
Regular
Good point there Edgy.

Sega's games are a completely different style to Nintendo's making them wonderful to own along with your Nintendo games.

Monkey Ball will definately be the first Gamecube game I buy.

Now I'm going to try and put my mind off it all so that March comes a long quicker.
Sun 21/10/01 at 16:45
Regular
Sega developing for GameCube and Game Boy Advance can only be a good thing, even if the games turn out to be a huge heap of dirt that's best brushed under the carpet, which they wont.

How many people have you heard complaining about the lack of third party games on the Nintendo 64? I know thats what I've heard as a reason to why the Playstation is supposedly a better console to own. But now Sega, Nintendo's original videogame rivals, are making games for Nintendo's consoles, some as exclusives, then we shouldn't be getting too many more complaints about that.

If you're a Nintendo fan who's sick of all those Mario games, especially the sports ones, then you should be happy that there's now going to be more to chose from! Instead of playing as a sweaty, short, fat plumber who wears denim over his red pyjamas, you can now play games featuring a speedy hedgehog who wears nothing at all! Sonic games have always had a different style of platforming, and Sonic Adventure 2: Battle will show you that.

I think the best part of this is that Sega aren't just remaking older games, but are also bringing us new ones like Super Monkey Ball. They are also the first to use the GameCube's new link-up feature which allows it to connect to the Game Boy Advance. And who better to try this out first than Sonic The Hedgehog himself?

For those of us who are hardcore classic gamers, and remember the times when Mario and Sonic were competing for the top spot, it'll be an amazing site to see Nintendo's GameCube logo as a Sega game starts, and to see a Sega logo on a Nintendo games packaging.

I don't think anyone here could admit to actually believeing this could happen. Sonic Team from Sega working with Nintendo to bring us a new game made by them both. As far as I'm aware it's still not been announced what it will actually be about, but I know from a NGC magazine interview that Shigeru Miyamoto is very happy to be working with them. Will this be the best game ever created? Or will it be a big mistake from both parties? Well I doubt it will be the latter, but it will hopefully be the first.

If a 'House of the Dead' game came to GameCube, as Dark Mark suggested, it would mean that either Nintendo or Sega would have to develop a kind of light-gun for the console. This would mean we'd be able to play an even larger range of games using different forms of control. This could be a very good thing.

Please remember, although Sega's Sonic Tem are working with Nintendo, Sega have also signed deals with Microsoft and Sony (I think) so Sega aren't exclusively releasing games on Nintendo's Machines. It is fairly safe to say, however, that the Game Boy Advance will be likely to be full of exclusives or conversions only for Game Boy Advance by Sega. This may lead to even more specially designed games, like Sonic Adventure 2: Battle is for the GameCube. Remember, it has been updated for this new feature, although the main game is supposed to be the same as the Dreamcast version.

I wonder if this is only the beginning of a new era in videogaming history? Will we have Sony and Microsoft teaming together to try and compete with Nintendo? Will we have all four companies making deals with each other so that all have equal chances of survival on the market? Will we ever see the super-console that people have wished for, for years and years? Well, we'll see.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.