GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Edge 125"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 17/06/03 at 18:42
Regular
If anyone here hasn't yet bought Edge issue 125 (I know there will be loads) then I recommend you go out and buy it ASAP. I finally got my hands on it today (4 days late thanks to local WHSmith) and it is as fantastic an E3 issue as I expected. The coverage blows away any seen in other publications with an extensive preview section containing many of E3's highlight games.

And then there's the free DVD (which actually is free) that has about 30 minutes of footage from the E3 showfloor and of the games themselves. Thankfully this doesn't involve going through a DVD menu pressing 'enter' on each game one-by-one as the footage is one big TV-like programme. And a damn fine programme at that.

All of this for a mere £4, go buy now!
Wed 18/06/03 at 14:35
Regular
"Omnipresent"
Edge shouldn't do reviews.
Wed 18/06/03 at 13:39
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Of course it isn't right. This is Edge we're talking about.
Wed 18/06/03 at 13:27
"I love yo... lamp."
Not a single DC game got 10/10. That isn't right!
Wed 18/06/03 at 11:36
Regular
I just realised, Edge gave the NTSC version of SOCOM 7/10, and the PAL version 5/10, despite the PAL version having most of the glitches removed before European release...

*Writes that down for later use...*
Wed 18/06/03 at 11:34
Regular
Bah, I was going to point out that Edge gave Final Fantasy X 6/10 and SOCOM 5/10 and then I saw your "for the most part, consistant" phrase right at the end of your post. So I'll let you off.

I'll summarise instead:

Edge - great articles written by dedicated gaming journalists, naff reviews written by people who wouldn't know a good game if you wrote "This is a good game" on the front of it and stapled it to their eyeballs.
Wed 18/06/03 at 10:58
Regular
"you've got a beard"
El Blokey wrote:
> Edge are hardcore for the sake of being hardcore. Just see...well, most > PS2 reviews for a start.

i disagree.
i wouldn't say Edge are "hardcore for hardcore's sake", simply that they are a public forum that voices the views of a lot of like-minded gamers who are tired of the same thing over and over until it's no longer fun.

Like Ikaruga, a reputation for being a hardcore game. Edge praised Ikaruga, but the chances are people like you chose to think they did so to be "hardcore", NOT the fact that Ikaruga has some great ideas presented in a beautiful looking game, it's just been overshadowed by it's "hardcore" difficulty level.

Your point about PS2 reviews is also a little shaky, as PS/PS2 are consoles aimied mainly at the casual "just in from work/pub" gamer and as such a majority of releases have to reflect this. a casual gamer wants a game they can pick up and play and usually finish in a sensible amount of time, or just a decent (if short lived) 2-player game.

Edge is just utterly neutral.
If a bad PS2 game is released, they say so.
If a bad GC game is released, they say so.
If a bad Xbox game is... well, you see where this is going
with so many formats to cover, it's inevitable that there will be fewer 9/10, 10/10 games as each catalogue quickly fills with sub-par rush games.

To me, Edge is percieved as holier than thou by fanboys and casual/semi-casual gamers who onlu want to hear that their console is best and everything is great. I enjoy it because it's the opposite, it's intelligent, witty and, for the most part, consistant.

You want answers? Edge has the truth!
YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!! :)
Tue 17/06/03 at 19:42
Regular
"TheCoolNerd on Live"
Yes it did, one of only 4 games that ever has:

Halo
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Gran Turismo
Super Mario 64
Tue 17/06/03 at 19:39
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
Agent Cool wrote:
> That
> is definitely the best way of going about reviewing a game as if you
> gave a really good game 9 out of 10 then everyone would be led to
> believe that is was almost revolutionary when in fact it probably
> isn't.

No. EDGE base reviews around whether it is fresh or new or revolutionary. Not whether they are actually fun to play. Edge are hardcore for the sake of being hardcore. Just see...well, most PS2 reviews for a start.
Tue 17/06/03 at 19:39
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Didn't Halo get 10/10 in Edge?

*Sniggers*
Tue 17/06/03 at 19:37
Regular
"TheCoolNerd on Live"
I don't know why people diss Edge. Their reviews may seem harsh but when a game gets 7 out of 10 that means that it is really good. That is definitely the best way of going about reviewing a game as if you gave a really good game 9 out of 10 then everyone would be led to believe that is was almost revolutionary when in fact it probably isn't.

Their E3 previews gave honest, down to earth impressions of each game so if it looked like is was going to be crap then they would say so. They didn't say every game was crap either as most of you seem to think they do. All the promising games such as Half-Life 2, Halo 2 and Star Wars: KotOR are deservedly given glowing previews.

Still I know those of you who 'hate' Edge will never like it. After all the magazine is a self-confessed 'Marmite' publication. You either love it or hate it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.