GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Edge 125"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 17/06/03 at 18:42
Regular
If anyone here hasn't yet bought Edge issue 125 (I know there will be loads) then I recommend you go out and buy it ASAP. I finally got my hands on it today (4 days late thanks to local WHSmith) and it is as fantastic an E3 issue as I expected. The coverage blows away any seen in other publications with an extensive preview section containing many of E3's highlight games.

And then there's the free DVD (which actually is free) that has about 30 minutes of footage from the E3 showfloor and of the games themselves. Thankfully this doesn't involve going through a DVD menu pressing 'enter' on each game one-by-one as the footage is one big TV-like programme. And a damn fine programme at that.

All of this for a mere £4, go buy now!
Sat 21/06/03 at 17:18
Regular
"TheCoolNerd on Live"
I've been buying Edge every month for 2 years now and I've finally got round to subscribing to it. In my opinion it is unquestionably the best games mag on the market. It's honest, detailed, interesting and informative. It also has many features you wouldn't find in other games mags such as regular columns from people such as Toshihiro Nagoshi (sadly absent from the latest issue, probably due to him being too busy as mentioned in E124).
Sat 21/06/03 at 16:13
"slightlyshortertagl"
Red Eye rocks.
Sat 21/06/03 at 14:35
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Although I really don't care what Edge do. They seem to have an extremely high opinion of themselves, and I can't cope with their constant over-analysis.
Sat 21/06/03 at 14:31
Regular
"smile, it's free"
True, but the problem is that people assign far too much importance to review scores, when a relative comparison of even game in the same genre can be a near-impossible task. The simple truth is that people's tastes vary so dramatically that it's impossible to be able to have a standard rating system that comes close to agreeing with everyone's judgements.

If you seriously want to compare two games, you either play them both or you read reviews of both.
Sat 21/06/03 at 14:23
Regular
"bit of a brain"
The whole point of review score is so you can compare games.
Abolishing them means you can't properly compare them anymore.
THAT'S CLEVER
Sat 21/06/03 at 14:05
Regular
"you've got a beard"
FantasyMeister wrote:
> Bah, I was going to point out that Edge gave Final Fantasy X 6/10 and
> SOCOM 5/10 and then I saw your "for the most part,
> consistant" phrase right at the end of your post. So I'll let
> you off.

yeah, i see your point. personally i though FFX was great (even though i sucked at it :) ) probably 8 or 9/10 personally and SOCOM would get around.. ooooooh 2/10 from me.
that's based on my preference on games that AREN'T team shooters though. Those games were reviewed on their merits within their genres and rated accordingly so their scores were both relative.

... i'd still have given ffx more though :)
Wed 18/06/03 at 16:56
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
Yeah, that was a good idea. When I checked back, I was surprised at a couple of the review scores.

GamesTM and Edge are the mags I buy every month, though.
Wed 18/06/03 at 16:30
"I love yo... lamp."
Did they? Pretty good idea. Never got it so I didn't know that.
Wed 18/06/03 at 16:28
Regular
"you've got a beard"
Edge 124 abolished review scores and just gave you the review and let you draw your own conclusions. GREAT idea....

of course there was a small section on the last page with the scores the games would normally get, for the benefit of those who cowered in the face of making their OWN mind up :)
Wed 18/06/03 at 15:58
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Edge isn't really for people who have any serious regard for review scores.

I can't speak for everyone, but Edge's reviews have never yet differed from my opinions on any game that I've actually played. El Blokey mentioned that Edge's reviews are based on how fresh or revolutionary a game is, that's certainly true to an extent. For me though, that approximately translates to how enjoyable a game is to play.

If you put together a racing game, I don't care how many cars it has, how realistically they handle or which authentic tracks it has, because I've played it before and I'm bored of it. If it doesn't do something new, it's unlikely to entertain, no matter how well polished it is.

The same goes for fighting games, adventure games, RTS games, RPG's, the whole lot. If it's not different in some way, then I'm already bored of it.

I've been playing games since early primary school, and I've reached the point where enjoyment is variety.

Edge works for me, and I'm happy with that.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.