GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Next Gen Gaming - Features & Capabilities"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 05/04/07 at 19:07
Regular
""none""
Next Gen Console
Which one is for you?

This article will give you some detailed insight into which of the three next gen consoles is for you. Xbox 360, Playstation 3 or Wii? This will be a none biased article informing you on which one is you, not "I think the PS3 is teh best buy it!!!". The article will only go into features and capabilities of each consoles.

All consoles have their ups and downs, different qualities and features. It's up to you on which one is the best, and suits you. Everything has to be taken into account when purchasing something like this (unless you have money to blow).

All of the consoles have similar features, photo viewer, video and music. Some consoles do different things better than the others, they specialize in different things.

Wii - Wii has lots of downsides in the video, photo music category. It doesn’t have DVD playback, so you can only use an SD Card. Music from the Wii can only be play through the Photo Channel, which is a little downside. What’s also odd is that video can only be played through the photo channel. So Nintendo needs to make a dedicated music and video channel.

But other than that the Wii is full of features. It has a forecast channel to view the weather, a news channel to keep up dated. All of these are nicely organized into a globe to view the information by location, which is awesome.

You can also download retro games (NES, SNES, N64, Mega Drive/Genesis and TurboGrafx-16), but sadly all at a large cost at about £3.50 for a NES game and £7.00 for an N64 game. These have to be played for by Wii money that has been put onto the Wii card or your VIP code.

You can create your very own Mii which can be used to play in many games. You can customize them to make them look similar to you, but keep in mind that it's supposed to be a very simplistic art. Although all the cast from the office can be created.

Nintendo has teamed up with Opera to bring us greedy fans the Internet Channel, a very basic browser than can play many games and view youtube videos! But don't expect too much from the limited browser, because it will take time to get used to so don't expect Firefox.

PS3 - DVD playback, video, music and photo! PS3 emulates all of the basic media with any problems. In fact, it takes the infamous Memory Stick Duo that you've held onto for your PSP. MSD is a better memory stick format duo to it's familiarity to Sony fans.

PS3 also has an Internet Browser that has flash, so you can play most flash games and view youtube videos. The browser has a lot of capabilities and features; it's easy to use and is user friendly. One feature I really like is listening to music whilst browsing the web, which the PSP couldn't do.

The Playstation 3 has opened up a lot of homebrew capabilities, just like the PSP did. Emulators, homebrew applications, homebrew games ect. But PS3 is different because it can emulate Linux, meaning infinite possibilities for the PS3!

Sony did make some big mistake making the PS3, replacing rumble for motion sensor. Most gamers prefer rumble than some mediocre motion sensor, that’s not even done as well as Nintendo. But there’s hope as Sony do plan to fix this. This is not the only problem, as the PS3 has problems with backward compatibility in the European model, as some PS2 games do not work. This will most likely be fixed in firmware updates.

Xbox 360 - The 360 also takes care of video, music, photo and DVD playback with no problem. But that’s not what it specializes it. It specializes in online play. It has the biggest online community for a console, currently. But will that change?

Xbox Live market place doesn’t only allow you the play the basic multilayer online games, but you can download content; such as arcade games, games trailers, TV shows, music videos or rented movies.

Conclusion

As you can see the Nintendo Wii is less of a media device, it focuses more on gaming. PS3 is more of a home entertainment system; it does everything. Xbox 360 is aimed at the online gamer and the FPS fan. You can’t really decide upon a winner as they are all good for different things.

Forgive me for any mistakes I have made in this article, as I tried my best!
Thu 05/04/07 at 20:51
Regular
"8==="
A lot more people wanted the PSX but it didn't stop the Dreamcast being the hardcore choice.

Are we still on hardcore stuff or are you replying to the main thread? ;)
Thu 05/04/07 at 20:45
Regular
It's all opinion. Right now, alot of people seem to want wii more judging by the sales.
Thu 05/04/07 at 20:44
Regular
"8==="
I may aswell chuck in MMO's and huge downloadable content too.

I'd say those are pretty hardcore too. Well next to Rampage as a full release. ;)
Thu 05/04/07 at 20:37
Regular
I don't understand this Wii is more for gaming concept. Sh*t games and cheap gimmicks don't make it the gamers choice. Whether the 360 is more of a media device doesn't do the fact there are infinitely better games out for it the justice it deserves.
Thu 05/04/07 at 20:21
Regular
"8==="
Ninja_Reborn wrote:
>
> Well your right. Nintendo have marketed the Wii aimed at
> everyone too. But mostly hardcore gamers buy the Wii, for their
> sequels of classic games. In my personal opinion I don't see the
> Wii's launch line relate to any casual gamer.

I see the download service and the simple approach appealing. You telling me that that tennis game isn't appealing to casual gamers?

360 has fairly hardcore Capcom titles for starters, is developing it's RPG line-up and demands people play £40 a year to use the online service. I think those examples alone show the 360's rather more hardcore than the dumbed-down licences found on the Wii (although, granted, there is Zelda).

Also I hardly think Sega's Mech games are going to be lapped up by the casuals.
Thu 05/04/07 at 20:06
Regular
""none""
Alfonse wrote:
> You really didn't write anything about the kind of game each
> console offers.

As I said before:

"The article will only go into features and capabilities of each consoles."
Thu 05/04/07 at 20:03
Regular
You really didn't write anything about the kind of game each console offers.
Thu 05/04/07 at 20:02
Regular
""none""
Hedfix wrote:
> Ninja_Reborn wrote:
> Xbox 360 is
> more so for a casual gamer or someone who doesn’t game often
> and
> they just want a games console.
>
> Sounds like a description that really applies to the Wii, unless
> you're a hardcore Nintendo gamer.
>
> 360 currently has everything for the hardcore gamer bar the few
> exclusives the PS3 has.
>
> Wii really has the most for the casual gamer due to the simple
> remote controller and the price of the console. Althought 360's
> Live Arcade setup does support the casual gamer well, I know a
> few people who have one game (like, say, Oblivion) and
> everything else they play is on Live Arcade.

Well your right. Nintendo have marketed the Wii aimed at everyone too. But mostly hardcore gamers buy the Wii, for their sequels of classic games. In my personal opinion I don't see the Wii's launch line relate to any casual gamer.
Thu 05/04/07 at 19:45
Regular
"8==="
Ninja_Reborn wrote:
> Xbox 360 is
> more so for a casual gamer or someone who doesn’t game often and
> they just want a games console.

Sounds like a description that really applies to the Wii, unless you're a hardcore Nintendo gamer.

360 currently has everything for the hardcore gamer bar the few exclusives the PS3 has.

Wii really has the most for the casual gamer due to the simple remote controller and the price of the console. Althought 360's Live Arcade setup does support the casual gamer well, I know a few people who have one game (like, say, Oblivion) and everything else they play is on Live Arcade.
Thu 05/04/07 at 19:07
Regular
""none""
Next Gen Console
Which one is for you?

This article will give you some detailed insight into which of the three next gen consoles is for you. Xbox 360, Playstation 3 or Wii? This will be a none biased article informing you on which one is you, not "I think the PS3 is teh best buy it!!!". The article will only go into features and capabilities of each consoles.

All consoles have their ups and downs, different qualities and features. It's up to you on which one is the best, and suits you. Everything has to be taken into account when purchasing something like this (unless you have money to blow).

All of the consoles have similar features, photo viewer, video and music. Some consoles do different things better than the others, they specialize in different things.

Wii - Wii has lots of downsides in the video, photo music category. It doesn’t have DVD playback, so you can only use an SD Card. Music from the Wii can only be play through the Photo Channel, which is a little downside. What’s also odd is that video can only be played through the photo channel. So Nintendo needs to make a dedicated music and video channel.

But other than that the Wii is full of features. It has a forecast channel to view the weather, a news channel to keep up dated. All of these are nicely organized into a globe to view the information by location, which is awesome.

You can also download retro games (NES, SNES, N64, Mega Drive/Genesis and TurboGrafx-16), but sadly all at a large cost at about £3.50 for a NES game and £7.00 for an N64 game. These have to be played for by Wii money that has been put onto the Wii card or your VIP code.

You can create your very own Mii which can be used to play in many games. You can customize them to make them look similar to you, but keep in mind that it's supposed to be a very simplistic art. Although all the cast from the office can be created.

Nintendo has teamed up with Opera to bring us greedy fans the Internet Channel, a very basic browser than can play many games and view youtube videos! But don't expect too much from the limited browser, because it will take time to get used to so don't expect Firefox.

PS3 - DVD playback, video, music and photo! PS3 emulates all of the basic media with any problems. In fact, it takes the infamous Memory Stick Duo that you've held onto for your PSP. MSD is a better memory stick format duo to it's familiarity to Sony fans.

PS3 also has an Internet Browser that has flash, so you can play most flash games and view youtube videos. The browser has a lot of capabilities and features; it's easy to use and is user friendly. One feature I really like is listening to music whilst browsing the web, which the PSP couldn't do.

The Playstation 3 has opened up a lot of homebrew capabilities, just like the PSP did. Emulators, homebrew applications, homebrew games ect. But PS3 is different because it can emulate Linux, meaning infinite possibilities for the PS3!

Sony did make some big mistake making the PS3, replacing rumble for motion sensor. Most gamers prefer rumble than some mediocre motion sensor, that’s not even done as well as Nintendo. But there’s hope as Sony do plan to fix this. This is not the only problem, as the PS3 has problems with backward compatibility in the European model, as some PS2 games do not work. This will most likely be fixed in firmware updates.

Xbox 360 - The 360 also takes care of video, music, photo and DVD playback with no problem. But that’s not what it specializes it. It specializes in online play. It has the biggest online community for a console, currently. But will that change?

Xbox Live market place doesn’t only allow you the play the basic multilayer online games, but you can download content; such as arcade games, games trailers, TV shows, music videos or rented movies.

Conclusion

As you can see the Nintendo Wii is less of a media device, it focuses more on gaming. PS3 is more of a home entertainment system; it does everything. Xbox 360 is aimed at the online gamer and the FPS fan. You can’t really decide upon a winner as they are all good for different things.

Forgive me for any mistakes I have made in this article, as I tried my best!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.