GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Next Gen Gaming - Features & Capabilities"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 05/04/07 at 19:07
Regular
""none""
Next Gen Console
Which one is for you?

This article will give you some detailed insight into which of the three next gen consoles is for you. Xbox 360, Playstation 3 or Wii? This will be a none biased article informing you on which one is you, not "I think the PS3 is teh best buy it!!!". The article will only go into features and capabilities of each consoles.

All consoles have their ups and downs, different qualities and features. It's up to you on which one is the best, and suits you. Everything has to be taken into account when purchasing something like this (unless you have money to blow).

All of the consoles have similar features, photo viewer, video and music. Some consoles do different things better than the others, they specialize in different things.

Wii - Wii has lots of downsides in the video, photo music category. It doesn’t have DVD playback, so you can only use an SD Card. Music from the Wii can only be play through the Photo Channel, which is a little downside. What’s also odd is that video can only be played through the photo channel. So Nintendo needs to make a dedicated music and video channel.

But other than that the Wii is full of features. It has a forecast channel to view the weather, a news channel to keep up dated. All of these are nicely organized into a globe to view the information by location, which is awesome.

You can also download retro games (NES, SNES, N64, Mega Drive/Genesis and TurboGrafx-16), but sadly all at a large cost at about £3.50 for a NES game and £7.00 for an N64 game. These have to be played for by Wii money that has been put onto the Wii card or your VIP code.

You can create your very own Mii which can be used to play in many games. You can customize them to make them look similar to you, but keep in mind that it's supposed to be a very simplistic art. Although all the cast from the office can be created.

Nintendo has teamed up with Opera to bring us greedy fans the Internet Channel, a very basic browser than can play many games and view youtube videos! But don't expect too much from the limited browser, because it will take time to get used to so don't expect Firefox.

PS3 - DVD playback, video, music and photo! PS3 emulates all of the basic media with any problems. In fact, it takes the infamous Memory Stick Duo that you've held onto for your PSP. MSD is a better memory stick format duo to it's familiarity to Sony fans.

PS3 also has an Internet Browser that has flash, so you can play most flash games and view youtube videos. The browser has a lot of capabilities and features; it's easy to use and is user friendly. One feature I really like is listening to music whilst browsing the web, which the PSP couldn't do.

The Playstation 3 has opened up a lot of homebrew capabilities, just like the PSP did. Emulators, homebrew applications, homebrew games ect. But PS3 is different because it can emulate Linux, meaning infinite possibilities for the PS3!

Sony did make some big mistake making the PS3, replacing rumble for motion sensor. Most gamers prefer rumble than some mediocre motion sensor, that’s not even done as well as Nintendo. But there’s hope as Sony do plan to fix this. This is not the only problem, as the PS3 has problems with backward compatibility in the European model, as some PS2 games do not work. This will most likely be fixed in firmware updates.

Xbox 360 - The 360 also takes care of video, music, photo and DVD playback with no problem. But that’s not what it specializes it. It specializes in online play. It has the biggest online community for a console, currently. But will that change?

Xbox Live market place doesn’t only allow you the play the basic multilayer online games, but you can download content; such as arcade games, games trailers, TV shows, music videos or rented movies.

Conclusion

As you can see the Nintendo Wii is less of a media device, it focuses more on gaming. PS3 is more of a home entertainment system; it does everything. Xbox 360 is aimed at the online gamer and the FPS fan. You can’t really decide upon a winner as they are all good for different things.

Forgive me for any mistakes I have made in this article, as I tried my best!
Thu 05/04/07 at 23:25
Regular
""none""
Hedfix wrote:
> Ninja_Reborn wrote:
>
> You must be speaking on behalf of the whole community then? The
> majority
>
> [of]
>
> normal people would
>
> [only]
>
> buy a sequel of the game if they've
> played the prequel unless it's a Final Fantasy game.
>
> -----------------------------------------
>
> Ah, [after editing and putting it together] I see.
>
> My reply:
>
> Ninja_Reborn wrote:
>
> You must be speaking on behalf of the whole community then?
>
> Seem familiar? ;)
>
> ------------------------------------------
>
> Oh and thanks for breaking down my post so throughly back there.
> :)

So that post isn't your last pathetic attempt at a comeback?

Hedfix wrote:
> I thought I was using reason and a little bit of evidence to
> backup my points.
>
> Then again it is childish in that we are talking about consoles
> in such a manner but then again your opinions on the matter are
> quite funny and not very well reasoned.
>
> Then there's the fact that you leveled a weak attempt at
> criticizing my gramm@r whilst failing in a few basic points
> yourself (eg missing out entire words).
>
> Childish? Yes but then look at what I have to work with here. In
> short: you're not doing yourself any favors with some of
> your stances. To be honest: you look rather silly.

I look silly, I think you need to rethink that statement. Most of your replies seemed desperate and were a lame excuse for a comeback. Weak dude, weak...
Thu 05/04/07 at 23:13
Regular
"8==="
I thought I was using reason and a little bit of evidence to backup my points.

Then again it is childish in that we are talking about consoles in such a manner but then again your opinions on the matter are quite funny and not very well reasoned.

Then there's the fact that you levelled a weak attempt at criticising my gramm@r whilst failing in a few basic points yourself (eg missing out entire words).

Childish? Yes but then look at what I have to work with here. In short: you're not doing yourself any favours with some of your stances. To be honest: you look rather silly.
Thu 05/04/07 at 23:04
Regular
""none""
I'll take that as you won't to end the argument, as you're becoming childish.
Thu 05/04/07 at 23:03
Regular
"8==="
Ninja_Reborn wrote:
>
> You must be speaking on behalf of the whole community then? The
> majority

[of]

> normal people would

[only]

> buy a sequel of the game if they've
> played the prequel unless it's a Final Fantasy game.

-----------------------------------------

Ah, [after editing and putting it together] I see.

My reply:

Ninja_Reborn wrote:
>
> You must be speaking on behalf of the whole community then?

Seem familiar? ;)

------------------------------------------

Oh and thanks for breaking down my post so throughly back there. :)
Thu 05/04/07 at 22:59
Regular
""none""
Hedfix wrote:
> Ninja_Reborn wrote:
>
> Yeah there is a lot of games aimed at the casual gamer on the
> Wii,
>
> Almost case closed then.
>
> but most of the games on the console are not. You see most
> of them are sequels (as I stated before) that only people
> who've
> played the prequels would want to play.
>
> Erm, must be why I got Turok 2 way before I bought the first
> then. Also I bought Red Faction 2 having never played the first.
> come to think of it I bought MGS:Substance without ever playing
> any of the earlier titles too.
>
> And the list goes on.
>
> Y'see sequels indicate a reasonably successful game that people
> want to play so casuals will jump onboard to see what the fuss
> is all about.
>
> Some sequels sell more than the original because of this.
>
> Thus, those gamers are
> not casual.
>
> You have a very limited view of casual gamers.

You must be speaking on behalf of the whole community then? The majority normal people would buy a sequel of the game if they've played the prequel unless it's a Final Fantasy game.

I'm also quiet disappointed that you bought MGS2 without playing earlier titles. It makes it much harder to understand the game. And I don't see why you would do that.

To fully enjoy and appreciate a MGS games story you must play the prequels, otherwise it becomes un-understandable and you'll miss a lot of things.
Thu 05/04/07 at 22:55
Regular
"8==="
Ninja_Reborn wrote:
>
> Yeah there is a lot of games aimed at the casual gamer on the
> Wii,

Almost case closed then.

but most of the games on the console are not. You see most
> of them are sequels (as I stated before) that only people who've
> played the prequels would want to play.

Erm, must be why I got Turok 2 way before I bought the first then. Also I bought Red Faction 2 having never played the first. come to think of it I bought MGS:Substance without ever playing any of the earlier titles too.

And the list goes on.

Y'see sequels indicate a reasonably successful game that people want to play so casuals will jump onboard to see what the fuss is all about.

Some sequels sell more than the original because of this.

> Thus, those gamers are
> not casual.

You have a very limited view of casual gamers.
Thu 05/04/07 at 22:48
Regular
""none""
Hedfix wrote:
> Ninja_Reborn wrote:
>
> I think your losing it around here,
>
> You're
>
> as I can't understand your
> grammar. Having an argument with you is certainly becoming a
> task, trying to understand what your saying.
>
> You're
>
> If you want to
> carry this on

Sorry meant to include that
Thu 05/04/07 at 22:47
Regular
""none""
Hedfix wrote:
> Ninja_Reborn wrote:
>
> Only hardcore gamers would want to play such titles.
>
> Really? The pick up and playable Smash Bros being just for
> harcore gamers? I think not. I've played with casual gamers on
> the Cube, we got Burnout, Smash Bros and Agent Under Fire. A
> simple racer, simple beat'em up and a simple shooter.
>
> The same thing's happening with the Wii, Licences are being
> placed upon simple fun multiplayer and that appeals to casual
> gamer.
>
> They
> wouldn't really appeal to the casual audience. Oh yeah and
> licenses is spelled "licenses". I don't reckon a
> causal gamer would go and specially to buy those games.
>
> Well I've actually proved you wrong above.
>
> Also my friend Vex is a casual gamer and he has about 30 Cube
> titles. now granted he hasn't played most of them because he's
> round here playing on the 360 when he has time to game but
> never- the-less he's a casual gamer and is quite happy to fork
> out for stuff like Pikmin, Crystal Chronicles and Prince of
> Persia among others.

You can't just say you've proven me wrong without you hearing my reply. Your attacking on one game, Smash Bros, because you can't go for the others. Pikmen and Prince of Persia appeal to all the audience.

Yeah there is a lot of games aimed at the casual gamer on the Wii, but most of the games on the console are not. You see most of them are sequels (as I stated before) that only people who've played the prequels would want to play. Thus, those gamers are not casual.
Thu 05/04/07 at 22:42
Regular
"8==="
Ninja_Reborn wrote:
>
> I think your losing it around here,

You're

> as I can't understand your
> grammar. Having an argument with you is certainly becoming a
> task, trying to understand what your saying.

You're

> If you want to
> carry this

Carry what? Sorry I don't understand you! ;)

> please re-read what you've written before you post.
> Thanks.

Causal. :)
Thu 05/04/07 at 22:39
Regular
"8==="
Ninja_Reborn wrote:
>
> Only hardcore gamers would want to play such titles.

Really? The pick up and playable Smash Bros being just for hardcore gamers? I think not. I've played with casual gamers on the Cube, we got Burnout, Smash Bros and Agent Under Fire. A simple racer, simple beat'em up and a simple shooter.

The same thing's happening with the Wii, Licences are being placed upon simple fun multiplayer and that appeals to casual gamers.

They
> wouldn't really appeal to the casual audience. Oh yeah and
> licenses is spelled "licenses". I don't reckon a
> causal gamer would go and specially to buy those games.

Well I've actually proved you wrong above.

Also my friend Vex is a casual gamer and he has about 30 Cube titles. Now, granted, he hasn't played most of them because he's round here playing on the 360 when he has time to game but never-the-less he's a casual gamer and is quite happy to fork-out for stuff like Pikmin, Crystal Chronicles and Prince of Persia among others.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.