GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Next Gen Gaming - Features & Capabilities"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 05/04/07 at 19:07
Regular
""none""
Next Gen Console
Which one is for you?

This article will give you some detailed insight into which of the three next gen consoles is for you. Xbox 360, Playstation 3 or Wii? This will be a none biased article informing you on which one is you, not "I think the PS3 is teh best buy it!!!". The article will only go into features and capabilities of each consoles.

All consoles have their ups and downs, different qualities and features. It's up to you on which one is the best, and suits you. Everything has to be taken into account when purchasing something like this (unless you have money to blow).

All of the consoles have similar features, photo viewer, video and music. Some consoles do different things better than the others, they specialize in different things.

Wii - Wii has lots of downsides in the video, photo music category. It doesn’t have DVD playback, so you can only use an SD Card. Music from the Wii can only be play through the Photo Channel, which is a little downside. What’s also odd is that video can only be played through the photo channel. So Nintendo needs to make a dedicated music and video channel.

But other than that the Wii is full of features. It has a forecast channel to view the weather, a news channel to keep up dated. All of these are nicely organized into a globe to view the information by location, which is awesome.

You can also download retro games (NES, SNES, N64, Mega Drive/Genesis and TurboGrafx-16), but sadly all at a large cost at about £3.50 for a NES game and £7.00 for an N64 game. These have to be played for by Wii money that has been put onto the Wii card or your VIP code.

You can create your very own Mii which can be used to play in many games. You can customize them to make them look similar to you, but keep in mind that it's supposed to be a very simplistic art. Although all the cast from the office can be created.

Nintendo has teamed up with Opera to bring us greedy fans the Internet Channel, a very basic browser than can play many games and view youtube videos! But don't expect too much from the limited browser, because it will take time to get used to so don't expect Firefox.

PS3 - DVD playback, video, music and photo! PS3 emulates all of the basic media with any problems. In fact, it takes the infamous Memory Stick Duo that you've held onto for your PSP. MSD is a better memory stick format duo to it's familiarity to Sony fans.

PS3 also has an Internet Browser that has flash, so you can play most flash games and view youtube videos. The browser has a lot of capabilities and features; it's easy to use and is user friendly. One feature I really like is listening to music whilst browsing the web, which the PSP couldn't do.

The Playstation 3 has opened up a lot of homebrew capabilities, just like the PSP did. Emulators, homebrew applications, homebrew games ect. But PS3 is different because it can emulate Linux, meaning infinite possibilities for the PS3!

Sony did make some big mistake making the PS3, replacing rumble for motion sensor. Most gamers prefer rumble than some mediocre motion sensor, that’s not even done as well as Nintendo. But there’s hope as Sony do plan to fix this. This is not the only problem, as the PS3 has problems with backward compatibility in the European model, as some PS2 games do not work. This will most likely be fixed in firmware updates.

Xbox 360 - The 360 also takes care of video, music, photo and DVD playback with no problem. But that’s not what it specializes it. It specializes in online play. It has the biggest online community for a console, currently. But will that change?

Xbox Live market place doesn’t only allow you the play the basic multilayer online games, but you can download content; such as arcade games, games trailers, TV shows, music videos or rented movies.

Conclusion

As you can see the Nintendo Wii is less of a media device, it focuses more on gaming. PS3 is more of a home entertainment system; it does everything. Xbox 360 is aimed at the online gamer and the FPS fan. You can’t really decide upon a winner as they are all good for different things.

Forgive me for any mistakes I have made in this article, as I tried my best!
Sat 07/04/07 at 20:10
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Hedfix wrote:
> up until now they've been pandering to the hardcore
> gamers that they impressed with the original Xbox.

I was never a fan of the original xbox but got a 360 and think it is an excellent piece of kit. :0)

I'd have to agree that the 360 is aimed towards more hardcore gamers - online gaming over live is where the 360 shines.
The wii is certainly for casual gamers and the odd hardcore gamer, good for a laugh with your mates but at the moment doesn't offer much else apart from zelda.
Sat 07/04/07 at 20:03
Regular
""none""
Revolver Ocelot wrote:
> Ninja_Reborn wrote:
> To fully enjoy and appreciate a MGS games story you must play
> the prequels, otherwise it becomes un-understandable and you'll
> miss a lot of things.
> Out of interest, have you played the first 2 Metal gears?
> I haven't played them, but since you seem to think its so
> important, I presume you've played them.
>
> And Hefix is right.
> He may post ridiculous (but funny) thinks sometimes, but he's no
> fool.

Yes, I've completed , MGS3, Portable Ops, MGS1, MGS2 and Acid (in chronicle order of time, except for acid which is in a different world).
Sat 07/04/07 at 19:09
Regular
"Blood on my suit"
Ninja_Reborn wrote:
> To fully enjoy and appreciate a MGS games story you must play
> the prequels, otherwise it becomes un-understandable and you'll
> miss a lot of things.
Out of interest, have you played the first 2 Metal gears?
I haven't played them, but since you seem to think its so important, I presume you've played them.

And Hefix is right.
He may post ridiculous (but funny) thinks sometimes, but he's no fool.
Sat 07/04/07 at 17:59
Regular
"8==="
From Game Informer:

"GI: I think you’ve had great success—especially with some of these first-party games. We were excited about Crackdown, no doubt. How do you plan to sell game to a broader audience outside the hardcore, which I think you’re fantastic at. Xbox Live screams to hardcore gamers. A lot of your titles from first party, save Viva Pinata, are definitely for the hardcore gamer crowd. What is Microsoft going to do to attract the larger, casual scene.

Moore: It’s a great question. You’ll be hearing a lot more about it in the next month or two. We have always had the focus on what we called—I don’t know whether I’ve sat down and talked about the first two holiday campaigns with you, but when we started building the strategy back in 2003, early 2004, we realized that the first 15 months, knowing what our ship date was even back then, would be critical to continue to recapture what’s called the hardcore gamer, and we want to make sure that we continue to have that sort of person on our side, because they’re very important to the overall ecosystem.

Then, coming into this holiday, we realized we needed to build an approachability story that was going to be important as we were attracting a different consumer in holiday 2007 and on to 2008. This is even before the Wii—the Wii was still the Revolution, and nobody knew anything about it. We recognized that both our strengths with Xbox became our Achilles’ heel with Xbox 360 in that we had built a very legitimate gaming device that had been taken to heart by the hardcore guys who when Microsoft announced the Xbox were very skeptical about our ability to deliver real gaming experiences on the console. I think we put all of that to rest very, very effectively and repositioned the brand. We went from black to white—it’s brighter and more optimistic brand. We’ve done an incredible amount of work with the third-party development community to make sure we’re well positioned to have all of the right content, the E and T content that’s going to be important in the out years in our platform. From a first-party point of view, it’s not just about E-rated games, it’s going to be about the experience that, quite frankly, Nintendo has done a tremendous job in capturing, in bringing back fun—if you will—to the gaming platforms. But we’ve got a few tricks up our sleeve as well to be able to do that. It’s not something that we’re going to be shy about, and it’s not something that we’re not painfully aware of that needs to be changed by this holiday. That has been the strategy all along, and we’ll be making some more announcements in the coming month or two. I think you’ll see how serious we are about that."

---------------------------------------------------

So this christmas and 2008 will see MS make a push for casual gamers but up until now they've been pandering to the hardcore gamers that they impressed with the original Xbox.
Sat 07/04/07 at 14:29
Regular
It's aimed at everybody, I think that has already been said. If it wasn't for hardcore gamers aswell then you can kiss goodbye to every adventure, horror and shooting franchise and say hello to every Hello Kitty Massively Gay Multiplayer minigame franchises.
Sat 07/04/07 at 11:24
Regular
To even attempt to say the Wii isn't aimed at casual gamers is outright insanity. Sure Zelda and Metroid are relatively deep and hardcore games, but that's 2 games out of a whole bunch of games like Warioware and Rayman.

As Nintendo have said all along, they're aiming for a completly different audience with the Wii. Trying to get people that have never been into games interested, with the simple to learn controls and straight forward games.
Sat 07/04/07 at 04:31
Regular
"8==="
Exactly.

So that sort of statement only offends idiots.

Same thing I've been doing for years: 'OMG I have sex' now let's see who actually gets worked-up over that statement of fact... oh here we go... ahaha fools.

Y'see there's technically nothing wrong in saying that but fools will let it push their buttons and then... well then it gets mildly amusing to downright hilarious depending on the strength of their reaction to a simple statement. :D

Same thing goes for the whole 'virgin' thing but that's a little harsher. Is there anything wrong in that? Well no but chuck it out there that you think someone might be one and see what can happen.

Meh. Best thing is I tend to explain it myself and the sort of reactions people should try to avoid and yet the same people fall for it time and time again. Funny stuff, in moderation, I find (ooh I made an accidental funny).

Edit: But generally I post that sort of lighthearted stuff after someone's already attempted to 'push my buttons' so to speak. A bit of friendly forum tete for tat. :)

It all comes down to my basic philosphy and teachings mantra: "It's just the internet - stop taking it so seriously".
Sat 07/04/07 at 01:33
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Hedfix wrote:
> I'm sitting here watching Boston Legal with the girlfriend. How's
> yours doing? :)

ahahahaha

hedfix guess what, most people have had sex too!
Fri 06/04/07 at 18:18
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
I have 100's. We can't sell them with our preowned, s either we get them or chuck them out.

Hopefully I'll be online soon as we're getting unlimited broadband and a wireless router. Fingers crossed I'll be able to play you soon Hedfix!
Fri 06/04/07 at 18:14
Regular
"8==="
I'll sell you some 2 day free trials if you want. I have about 8. :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.