GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Gran Turismo 4"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 16/10/01 at 22:05
Regular
I have just really started to read the Official PS2 magazine, and I came across a section about Gran Turismo, and what's next after Gran Turismo 3. Most of it was just rumours, but the part on Gran Turismo 4 got me thinking. What would I like to see in Gran Turismo 4?

Good question really. What could really be improved over the third installment? It was such a good game, can it really be improved upon? Course it can. When the developers tested to see how much of the PS2's capacity was used up by GT3, it didn't even touch the sides. So that means that they could really improve over GT3.

So then, what could be improved upon? Well, the amount of cars for a start. OK, so it did have quite a few cars, with the amount almost hitting 200, but that didn't really please games too much. They were disappointed by the fact that the amount of cars had dropped since GT2, from 600 to 200, which is quite a drop. I know that the cars took a lot of work and they all looked great, and handled just as well, but, still, more cars.

What about the graphics, can they really be improved upon. The graphics of GT3 were amazing to say the least. But, there were some flaws. One of these is pop-up. I know that there really isn't much of it (in one player at least), but on the night levels such as Special Stage Route 5, you would go around a corner and a building would appear right in front of you. There was even a part where you drive down a straight and a building would appear, then disappear and then re-appear again. Maybe this could be touched up a little (I don't want to seem like I am asking for too much).

Anything else. Well, what about the tracks? There were quite alot of tracks in GT3, some old tracks from GT2 and some completely new tracks. First things first, get rid of the Complex String. I hated the track, too, errr, complex... Anyway, maybe the old tracks from GT2 could be left out and completely new tracks added instead. I am not saying I didn't like the old tracks, but I am getting a little bored with them.

Could Gran Turismo mode be improved on. Well, I was a little disappointed that the abilty to racing modify your cars was left out of GT3. Other than that, I can't think of much else at the moment.

Ok, so I know it's a few years off yet, and that the most likely GT game out next will most likely be GT3: B Spec. I know it is still in the speculation stage, but this seems more likely, and will mst likely come in the form as an add-on disc, where you could load new cars on to the game. What are your thoughts on this?

What do you think? What would you like to see in Gran Turismo 4, or GT3: B-Spec?
Wed 17/10/01 at 12:25
"High polygon count"
It still makes me go "wow" - I spend as much time watching replays as I do racing! It's gorgeous - especially Special Stage Route 5 Wet. Stunning.
Wed 17/10/01 at 12:04
Regular
Yeah, I was impressed with it then first time I played it (for a couple of hours).

But now I'm like "Oh, yeah, I suppse it looks ok."

It's like I'm becoming numb to it. It no longer has the impact that it did before.

But isn't that the same with everything though?

I think it is.

Whenever you get a new console, it's like "Wow! This is fantastic." And after a little while it wears off. The art of making a good console and games is to make the "Wow!" time last as long as possible.

Like when you first start drinking underage (come on, everyone's done it). To begin with it's "I'm really grown up now, I'm drinking underage." Then after a while it's like "Fancy coming out for a drink."

You just get used to it.

I've got used to the graphics in GT3 and they no longer make me think "Wow!" anymore. I've got over that, and no I'm noticing the things that aren't quite up to scratch with it.

Like the AI.
Wed 17/10/01 at 11:58
"High polygon count"
But it's just so pretty!
Wed 17/10/01 at 11:55
Regular
I'm glad I'm agreeing with myself.

It's atrocious!

You know that you'll always be able to overtake the car in front, even if you're only slightly faster, as they don't defend the line. It's no challenge.

You know that if you brake a little later into the corner than the computer, you'll ALWAYS get passed, as he doesn't defend the line, and you just nip in front.

That's the only down side to an otherwise great game.

But it is a reasonable downside.

There's no challenge. Although it'll take a while, you KNOW you'll do all the races, and win all the cups.
Wed 17/10/01 at 11:51
"High polygon count"
That is a little annoying. They seem to leave the racing line to overtake each other, but it's almost as if the player's car is invisible to them.
Wed 17/10/01 at 11:47
Regular
I want to see better AI.

Let's face it, it's crap in GT3. I think my toaster is more intelligent.

I'm driving along, I make a mistake at a corner and go down the next straight a bit slow. What happens? A car just smashes into me from behind. Why didn't it just overtake? It was going faster than me!

Also, they never leave the racing line. They never weave to defend their position if you're about to overtake.

It's crap.

Apart from that, it's a pretty good game. Maybe improve the graphics in two player mode? But that's not a major issue.
Wed 17/10/01 at 11:34
"High polygon count"
One of the major attractions of the Gran Turismo series - for me anyway - is that the physics and car handling telemetry, and all of the engine sounds, are taken from the real cars, giving you as accurate a simulation as is possible using a 2D screen and a joypad.

This information is only available to the game's designers because the licence agreements they have with the manufacturers give them special access to all of the cars used in the game.

As a result, loss of the official licences would have a major negative effect on the game. So I can't see Sony/Polyphony changing to made-up cars.

GT3 has been massive, and will hopefully give them much more leverage for GT4, and they may well be able to persuade the manufacturers to allow damage. We'll just have to wait and see.
Wed 17/10/01 at 11:23
The actual car names make it more thrilling and realistic when buying a car... should I buy a Lotus or a Audi ohhoooooo the choices the choices.
Without the brand names cars would just become pieces of metal your dragging around a course.

With damage the game would be so much better, but to do this either the manufacturers have to allow it or GT ditches the manufacturers and goes it alone with Lotis, Oubi and Forb!!!

I think personnally, that without the trademark names of the cars the game would just be another racer, the cars make the game what it is; apart from the superb graphics and sound.

They cant lose the names, it wouldn't be GT without them.

Would you wanna drive a Lotis or something of that affect?
Tue 16/10/01 at 23:27
Regular
"360: swfcman"
OrÜega wrote:
> point. The gran turismo series is the undisputed king of driving sims, and i
> dont think the name of the cars would affect the sales of the game.

Exaclty my point. And to take the game forward, they need damage. This will only happen with out the car names though, so ditch the makers, and instead of giving them the money for rights, use it in the game.
Tue 16/10/01 at 23:24
Regular
point. The gran turismo series is the undisputed king of driving sims, and i dont think the name of the cars would affect the sales of the game.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.