GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Gran Turismo 4"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 16/10/01 at 22:05
Regular
I have just really started to read the Official PS2 magazine, and I came across a section about Gran Turismo, and what's next after Gran Turismo 3. Most of it was just rumours, but the part on Gran Turismo 4 got me thinking. What would I like to see in Gran Turismo 4?

Good question really. What could really be improved over the third installment? It was such a good game, can it really be improved upon? Course it can. When the developers tested to see how much of the PS2's capacity was used up by GT3, it didn't even touch the sides. So that means that they could really improve over GT3.

So then, what could be improved upon? Well, the amount of cars for a start. OK, so it did have quite a few cars, with the amount almost hitting 200, but that didn't really please games too much. They were disappointed by the fact that the amount of cars had dropped since GT2, from 600 to 200, which is quite a drop. I know that the cars took a lot of work and they all looked great, and handled just as well, but, still, more cars.

What about the graphics, can they really be improved upon. The graphics of GT3 were amazing to say the least. But, there were some flaws. One of these is pop-up. I know that there really isn't much of it (in one player at least), but on the night levels such as Special Stage Route 5, you would go around a corner and a building would appear right in front of you. There was even a part where you drive down a straight and a building would appear, then disappear and then re-appear again. Maybe this could be touched up a little (I don't want to seem like I am asking for too much).

Anything else. Well, what about the tracks? There were quite alot of tracks in GT3, some old tracks from GT2 and some completely new tracks. First things first, get rid of the Complex String. I hated the track, too, errr, complex... Anyway, maybe the old tracks from GT2 could be left out and completely new tracks added instead. I am not saying I didn't like the old tracks, but I am getting a little bored with them.

Could Gran Turismo mode be improved on. Well, I was a little disappointed that the abilty to racing modify your cars was left out of GT3. Other than that, I can't think of much else at the moment.

Ok, so I know it's a few years off yet, and that the most likely GT game out next will most likely be GT3: B Spec. I know it is still in the speculation stage, but this seems more likely, and will mst likely come in the form as an add-on disc, where you could load new cars on to the game. What are your thoughts on this?

What do you think? What would you like to see in Gran Turismo 4, or GT3: B-Spec?
Wed 17/10/01 at 22:54
If the rumours are to believed, that Polyphony are making a GT3: B-Spec add-on to be released next year, then it will be a long time before we see GT4. Because they want to make something a bit different - a motorbike game.
Thats gonna take them at least a year after B-spec (probably more if they want to do it properly). Then Polyphony said that the next GT would be another 2 years in development. All this means that GT4 will probably be released near the end of PS2's life.

Oh well, I'm happy with GT3 for the moment - I'm still only 47% complete :-)
Wed 17/10/01 at 19:29
Regular
Gran Turismo 4 is just too far away theres no point of talking about it right now.
Wed 17/10/01 at 18:41
Regular
"You Bum!!"
They are going to take their time with that game. They only released GT3 few months back and they will want to seel as many copies as they can before shipping the new title. I reckon it will be out somewhere in 2003
Wed 17/10/01 at 15:35
Yeah, and some fury dice.
Wed 17/10/01 at 15:30
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
i want working horns!
Wed 17/10/01 at 15:29
To be blunt...

I just hope that GT4 will include the ability for damages (without the loss of car names) and improved AI, with these GT4 will be better than ever.
Wed 17/10/01 at 14:30
Regular
Your Honour wrote:
> I want to see better AI.

The movie was bad, but the AI in GT3 gets better according to the difficulty you have it set at.

>Let's face it, it's crap in GT3. I think my toaster is more intelligent.

Is it from Red Dwarf?

I'm driving along, I make a mistake at a corner and go
> down the next straight a bit slow. What happens? A car just smashes into me from
> behind. Why didn't it just overtake? It was going faster than me!

Maybe it didn`t have time to move from the racing line, perhaps it was on the limit whilst turning? They usually go round, on hard in particular, otherwise all you`d have to do is qualify first, and follow the racing line.

Also, they
> never leave the racing line. They never weave to defend their position if you're
> about to overtake.

Depends on the course really. On test course, they slip stream you, and move round at the last possible moment. On the whole though, they do stick to the racing line... but then again, so do I. Its the racing line because its the fastest way round the course. As for overtaking, perhaps they realise that to overtake, you have to leave the racing line, and risk crashing as a result. Therefore they just leave you to it.
Wed 17/10/01 at 14:14
Tyla wrote:
> Car Damage!!

It's meant to be a "Real" driving simulator, I want
> to see real damage, flying bonnets, exploding tyre's!!

Also:

-Real time
> weather effects
-Real time night and day in endurance races
-Pit Crews ( I
> know... naff!!)
-Better AI
-Useable headlights!!
- Exploding cars!! (
> sorry!!)

All good, and why dont they?

An improvement in AI is what I mostly want aswell as damage to cars.
Wed 17/10/01 at 13:01
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
Defineable car graphics, like choosing your sponsor, over just choosing the colour. Better still, using Sonys digital camera in the USB port to import new graphics
Wed 17/10/01 at 12:36
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Car Damage!!

It's meant to be a "Real" driving simulator, I want to see real damage, flying bonnets, exploding tyre's!!

Also:

-Real time weather effects
-Real time night and day in endurance races
-Pit Crews ( I know... naff!!)
-Better AI
-Useable headlights!!
- Exploding cars!! ( sorry!!)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.