GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Should Dizzy Return?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 16/10/01 at 14:58
Regular
Who hasnt heard of or played Dizzy!!! Those who havent are missing out big time! It was one of the best games around in its time, & its still enjoyable even tho its simple & u r controlling an egg!

I think that Some new Dizzy games should be brought to a new generation & keep the old generation in their memories, it would be great on a gameboy! Wot do u think?
Tue 16/10/01 at 14:58
Regular
"May Contain Nuts"
Who hasnt heard of or played Dizzy!!! Those who havent are missing out big time! It was one of the best games around in its time, & its still enjoyable even tho its simple & u r controlling an egg!

I think that Some new Dizzy games should be brought to a new generation & keep the old generation in their memories, it would be great on a gameboy! Wot do u think?
Tue 16/10/01 at 18:45
Dizzy will live in our hearts and memories forever. As for him making a comeback, as with "Frogger" I'm completely against it!
You can't bring the Dizzy formula to todays gaming world withour ruining the memory of it and if you just made another sequel in exactly the same vein as the old ones, it wouldn't sell.

I've played and completed "Dizzy", "Treasure Island Dizzy", "Fantasy world Dizzy" and "magic land Dizzy" - they were all emmensley enjoyable at the time, but this was years ago. The industry has come a long way since then.

If Dizzy was released today, it would be a stupid 3D adventure game, the puzzle format would all be different, you'd probably have the ability to attack rather than just avoid, it would be full of "save points", you'd start with X lives and countless extra ones would be thrown at you throughout and you'd have more continues than you can shake a stick at. Because thats the face of gaming today.

Dizzy was all about "you get 1 life, now use it wisely", you learned the game bit by bit, but ultimately you had to make it from start to finish in one sitting on one life! Games like that have been squeezed out of the market. If you can finish a game in an hour or so, no-one wants it.

I think Dizzy is a fine example of a style of game thats been lost. Few games have that "I'll pick it up and play to the end!" appeal nowadays. Since the days of the SNES and Megadrive, these games have been lost.
"Super Probotector" for instance, ok you got lives and continues, but you had to finish it in one go, there were no save points, it wasn't that tough, but it was enjoyable every time. Games like that used to last for ages, but somewhere in the step up to PSX and N64, "lastability" became more important.

Nowadays we're getting games that last longer and longer, but with very little re-play value.

So, "no" to Dizzy, but "yes" to its ideals and style of gaming!
Tue 16/10/01 at 21:59
Dizzy would be an ideal game for the Gameboy Advanced but it will probably have to renew the contracts as Nintendo last released dizzy on the Nes. They released two games which were:- Dizzy The Adventurer and Fantastic Dizzy. Both good games but compared to what games Nintendo have released recently they would have to change it quite a bit. Good idea though !!!

Dizzy should only return if they redesign it!
Wed 17/10/01 at 13:47
Yessir.
On GBA Maybe?
Fri 26/10/01 at 15:25
Dizzy was cool i still have my spectrum and the dizzy games i also have it on megadrive and gamegear
Fri 26/10/01 at 22:59
Regular
Dizzy Rules!
Fri 26/10/01 at 23:40
i've got an amiga with about 5 of those dizzy games on it
Fri 26/10/01 at 23:42
Regular
I sold my Amiga 2 years ago.....

*Starts to cry*

£50 seemed alot back then.....

*Puts a knife to his wrist*

Oh! How I wish I still had Dizzy.......
Mon 29/10/01 at 12:39
Regular
I am the Tarrant wrote:

"Dizzy was all about "you get 1 life, now use it wisely", you learned the game bit by bit, but ultimately you had to make it from start to finish in one sitting on one life! Games like that have been squeezed out of the market. If you can finish a game in an hour or so, no-one wants it."

Believe it or not, the Dizzy games did actually have lives! You had three lives, but they were so precious that it really was like walking around with one.

Can't you remember the infamous "Dizzy was fried!" boxes that came up when you died?
Mon 29/10/01 at 17:50
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Only one life in treasure island dizzy though, if I remember correctly.

Fiendishly hard, that one.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.