GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Teachers drop the Holocaust to avoid offending Muslims"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 02/04/07 at 10:05
Regular
(This probably belongs in the ID forum, but I'm replacing a Birthday thread duplicate)

Schools are dropping the Holocaust from history lessons to avoid offending Muslim pupils, a Governmentbacked study has revealed.

It found some teachers are reluctant to cover the atrocity for fear of upsetting students whose beliefs include Holocaust denial.

There is also resistance to tackling the 11th century Crusades - where Christians fought Muslim armies for control of Jerusalem - because lessons often contradict what is taught in local mosques.

The findings have prompted claims that some schools are using history 'as a vehicle for promoting political correctness'.

... continued
Mon 02/04/07 at 20:45
Regular
"8==="
Replace RE with Band of Brothers.

Job done.
Mon 02/04/07 at 20:44
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Just read the article, and right near the bottom it mentions that there were also problems with *gasp* Christian parents. Being the Mail though, the headline must be about Muslims and how they're evil and stuff.
Mon 02/04/07 at 20:40
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
I moused over the link and it was to the Daily Mail website...

Therefore I'm rather sceptical about this story ;-)

I do remember reading in the Mail about the Muslim convert who gave the 'alternative Christmas speech' last year. They had all these 'soundbite' quotes which made her sound like a real fundamentalist idiot, but then you read what she actually said in context and, okay, it wasn't like I agreed with what she was saying (stuff about how unfulfilled non-believers lives were), but it's the kind of thing many religious-types of all faiths occasionally spout...

Anyway, my view... The Mail has probably blown the story WAY out of proportion, as it tends to with anything it can label "POLITICAL CORRECTNESS GONE MAAAAD, I TELLS YA!!1". Although, yes, obviously the holocaust should be taught in History classes. Well, if you're covering WWII era stuff anyway. Although, truth be told, we didn't learn THAT much about it unless we took History GCSE, which isn't a requirement. Sure, we learnt about it before that, but not in any depth at all.
Mon 02/04/07 at 20:28
Regular
"8==="
Black Glove wrote:
> Schools should just teach english, maths and sports and if people want to learn about anything else they should pick up a book.

My memory's quite good eh Glovey? ;)
Mon 02/04/07 at 20:14
Regular
"lets go back"
I think this is terrible. To even suggest that the holocaust didn't happen is incredibly offensive to the millions Jews who lost their lives and to actually contemplate not teaching about it at all just because some ignorant people don't believe in it is quite simply wrong. I think our country tries too hard to appease Muslim views and as a result ends up offending nearly everyone else in the process. Are we just supposed to not teach anything that someone else does not believe? That would mean banning any kind of religious class because the views of one religion are not shared with others.

Also, I don't see what relevance the holocaust has on Muslim teaching anyway. The Koran was written around 600 AD and the holocaust was around 1930-40, which is well over 1000 years after the Koran was written so where do the paths cross?
Mon 02/04/07 at 18:30
Regular
"Laughingstock"
Mon 02/04/07 at 18:15
Regular
"8==="
and Ben Elton's on ITV. Gah!

Next he'll have a Daily Mail column.
Mon 02/04/07 at 18:09
Regular
I'm just sick to the back teeth of the spineless nature of this pitiful country. No I won't get the hell out before you suggest it, I want it to be a place I'm proud to live again.

The environmental geeks and the political correctness squad, the thought police, god bothering types, those that see any form of constructive arguement between cultures as RASHISHT OMG!!! - these people have free reign to change our society as they see fit. They can do what the hell they like, cry and moan and wail until people have to give in and invent some bullcrap legislation. It's pathetic. It really is.

And no-one bats an eyelid. No-one does anything about it.

For if I was to suggest that this subject is a f***in joke, and the people responsible are a bunch of sh** stirring arsefaces ... I'd be branded a racist most likely. "BUT YER NOT RESPECKIN OTHERS BELIEFS INNIT?" .... well who the HELL is respecting mine?
But then, you can only be racist if you're white, can't you ... ? Or it certainly seems that way most of the time ...

I don't have kids, but when I do, I want them to learn these things, just as I did. There was nothing wrong with the teaching method when I was at school, and as far as I'm concerned children should have to learn these things. We can't just bury the past and live with our heads up our a***s.

So it offends people, well yeah, war will do that. It's people murdering their fellow men for what many believe to be pointless reasons. Of course it's offensive ... deal with it. And stop telling me and my future kids how to live.

I swear these people are about as much in touch with the real world as that Bjork woman or Michael Jackson.

I've got most of my anger out now anyway ... mission accomplished ...
Mon 02/04/07 at 18:01
Regular
Happy Birthday Ladybird!
Mon 02/04/07 at 17:53
Regular
"8==="
I take it they've tippexed out Israel from the geography books too then?

"MESOPOTANIA"?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.