GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Teachers drop the Holocaust to avoid offending Muslims"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 02/04/07 at 10:05
Regular
(This probably belongs in the ID forum, but I'm replacing a Birthday thread duplicate)

Schools are dropping the Holocaust from history lessons to avoid offending Muslim pupils, a Governmentbacked study has revealed.

It found some teachers are reluctant to cover the atrocity for fear of upsetting students whose beliefs include Holocaust denial.

There is also resistance to tackling the 11th century Crusades - where Christians fought Muslim armies for control of Jerusalem - because lessons often contradict what is taught in local mosques.

The findings have prompted claims that some schools are using history 'as a vehicle for promoting political correctness'.

... continued
Sat 07/04/07 at 00:03
Regular
"gsybe you!"
yeah. But the official line and alternative views can exist inside the sphere of adequate academia.
Fri 06/04/07 at 21:09
Regular
Hence the distinction between the 'faith' placed in evidence-based science and religion.

But with 'the winners writing the history books', questioning the official line seems admirable.

(Churchill, for example, gassed villages for not paying their taxes when he was in Africa pre-war. Throughout the war, he showed loved the fight, with little respect for the lives lost. After the war he bounced between the Conservatives and Liberals to make sure he kept himself elected in parliament. The guy was a grade A ***hole and genocidal ***tard. Not as bad as Hitler, but if we'd lost the war, history would have portrayed him as a lowlife of similar proportions. Instead they see the calous murderer of empire-resisting tax-dodgers as the greatest Brit who ever lived.)

So can you admire someone for questioning the official version of events, but despise them for the conclusion they eventually draw? It seems a little unfair. Then again, it's probably accurate. They *are* (probably) neo-nazi scum.

Such hard work.
Wed 04/04/07 at 00:52
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Yes, but you have to rationally dispense with the notion that 'I didn't experience it, so I have to rely on other views...but they may be WRONG so no', else you become a conspiracy theorist about EVERYTHING except what you sense, and even then can your senses be trusted? and so on and on and on.

You have to go on the best that's given, by as large a number of qualified people as possible. Yes that's not going to be 100% reliable, but it's better than nothing, and most academics aren't there to deliberately decieve.

To take it too far is ridiculous, and not worthy of anyones time.
Tue 03/04/07 at 22:59
Regular
"eat toast!"
Thats the problem with history, it gets lost with age, you really have to be there to truly remember or undertstand it properly.

In fact we're still doing it now in fact. The moon landings, 9/11. Hell, if jesus really did come back and we taped it and the whole world believes he was the real deal, i'm sure someone somewhere would doubt it regardless the strong footage, evidence of miricles, ancient artifacts or if god/satan came to earth to confirm it. someone would even attempt to explain the rapture if it occured.

Its like that south part episode on what caused 9/11...

edit: Neverless, it would be NICE IF THEY TOLD US WHY THE HOLOCAUST DIDN'T HAPPEN INSTEAD OF STICKING THEIR FINGERS IN THEIR EARS AND IGNORING THE QUESTION!
Tue 03/04/07 at 22:28
Regular
I agree with Borat.

But I was thinking a while ago,
I do take the holocaust completely on faith. I'm not for a moment saying that it didn't happen, or that holocaust deniers aren't a bunch of gutter retards. But between Richard Dawkins and Derren Brown (Tricks of the Mind - excellent book), I place a lot of value on questioning things and seeking evidence.

Yet most of us haven't seen any evidence of the whole thing, we just accept it on faith.
Other people try to find out for themselves, they question the version of history that gets fed to us all.

Well.. okay, they probably don't so much question the official version, or seek *evidence*. They probably just try to force their understanding of the facts to fit around their irrational biggotries through sheer ignorant denial.

But I'm still reluctant to be one of the scummy people who blindly accept what they are told to believe, and then denounces people who think for themselves and challenge the official line.

I feel absolutely divided between two very strong pulls on my conscience and identity. It's most uncomfortable.
Tue 03/04/07 at 13:51
Regular
"gsybe you!"
yawn
when the schools ALL OVER THE COUNTRY actually stop teaching the holocaust, i'll believe this and worry about it a bit more
as it is, nah, it's stupid to do and shouldn't really occur but waawaa PCness is killing my country
you can say whatever you want, and frequently do

i'm doing the crusades at uni atm. OHMYGOD stifled hey wait
Tue 03/04/07 at 11:40
Regular
"you've got a beard"
Alfonse wrote:
> What's the difference between a jew and a pizza?

you can trust a pizza.

This is ridiculous, ignoring history because it may upset someone. How will we ever learn from our mistakes if we`re too scared to learn about them?

who are these people who keep complaining? i just think their time could be better spent on bringing their kids up properly at home, instead of whining about what they get taught in school.

what`s done is done... until we decide otherwise.
Mon 02/04/07 at 21:26
Regular
One's a person of jewish faith and one's an item of food XD
Mon 02/04/07 at 21:20
Regular
What's the difference between a jew and a pizza?
Mon 02/04/07 at 21:07
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Why would Muslims be offended by the Holocaust?

Also, if I become a history teacher I'm going to teach them whatever period I want. Then mould them into my own personal army.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.