GetDotted Domains

At GetDotted, a 1 year .co.uk, .uk, .me.uk or .org.uk registration is now just £1.95 ex VAT.

Search Domains Now

Viewing Thread:
"Teachers drop the Holocaust to avoid offending Muslims"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 02/04/07 at 10:05
Regular
Posts: 19,415
(This probably belongs in the ID forum, but I'm replacing a Birthday thread duplicate)

Schools are dropping the Holocaust from history lessons to avoid offending Muslim pupils, a Governmentbacked study has revealed.

It found some teachers are reluctant to cover the atrocity for fear of upsetting students whose beliefs include Holocaust denial.

There is also resistance to tackling the 11th century Crusades - where Christians fought Muslim armies for control of Jerusalem - because lessons often contradict what is taught in local mosques.

The findings have prompted claims that some schools are using history 'as a vehicle for promoting political correctness'.

... continued
Fri 04/09/09 at 12:42
Regular
"Embrace the Martian"
Posts: 285
So this is purely propaganda then eh? Damn those people trying to anger people against minorities. I say anyone can join the UK club if they want to contribute. Although we may need some more land soon haha
Thu 03/09/09 at 22:55
"Retarded List"
Posts: 642
Happy Birthday Ladybird!!
Thu 03/09/09 at 22:40
Regular
Posts: 57
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/6563429.stm

surprise surprise
Wed 02/09/09 at 07:59
Regular
Posts: 15,681
We are a multi-faith nation which is pre-dominantly Christian.

I'm happy for anyone to come to the UK if they're willing to make a valid and positive contribution.

However, for any group to start dictating how our education system is run, or to complain about any aspect of our nation (unless done via democratic means) shows a lack of respect for a nation that has taken them in.

Can you imagine if we went to Israel and complained about the Jews, Iran and complained about the Muslims, or on a less religious scale if we went to France and complained about the French or USA and complained that it was full of Americans. People have a choice in the UK. They don't have to stay though.

One thing I am a firm believer in is that the truth must be taught to children in the most unbiased way. It is up to the children then to decide whether they accept it or not.
Tue 01/09/09 at 18:01
Regular
"Let's blow stuff up"
Posts: 321
I'm 15 and i've learnt about the holocaust. It shows people about what happened and why. Not only that but it shows people's misery, pain and death. I think people should learn it as it is apart of our history and it highlights what the families went through. Such as Anne Frank's family. Not only that but the Muslims are apart our OUR country and they should respect that and learn about our history. Not intending to be racist.... if i was
Sun 08/04/07 at 19:02
Regular
Posts: 285
Yeah.... For God's sake c /
0 |
c \
Sun 08/04/07 at 10:10
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Posts: 23,284
I'm not attacking your argument of not taking all history at face value but for goodness try and do some of your own research on it instead of speculating a load of rubbish. I suppose the endless pictures of skeleton like corpses piled up isn't good enough yeah?

Beleive me, after spending this year learning 8th century Carolingian historical sources and their value it's pretty obvious what is bull and what isn't.

This whole article is just a media manipulation to appeal to their own demographic. ie COUNCIL BANS CHRISTMAS COUNCIL BANS EASTER IMMIGRANTS KILLED DIANA
Sat 07/04/07 at 12:20
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Posts: 18,825
Mumbai Duck wrote:
>
> I got involved in my uni debating society for a while. I met
> some pretty vile people, essentially training in winning
> arguments without actually being right, and learning ways to
> undermine other peoples' reasoning without actually addressing
> the points they made. Vile people. Many of them were interested
> in a career in politics. I'm sure they'll do supurbly.

Yeah I went to mine for a bit. Really nice people though, but I just could not get along with the whole 'I'm right you're wrong when in fact, I'm bullshitting'. I appreciate the art of dialectics and I enjoy playing Devil's Advocate, and i think it's important to to so. But the whole point was to win, not to find the truth.
Sat 07/04/07 at 12:18
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Posts: 18,825
By default, 'accepted academia' means the 'current line' as it were. I mean using suitable, adequate methods to ascertain new historical angles and perspectives - i.e somebody writing a book on Churchill's bloodthirsty side, as you mentioned, based on the evidence. That's what I mean by 'adequate academia', not some loon going around claiming Hitler was in fact definitively gay and never ordered the death of anyone ever, unequivocally because they said so. The issue comes around the fact of bias and the inherent relation it has with context.
Sat 07/04/07 at 03:42
Regular
Posts: 8,220
The thing is, no holocaust denier is ever going to be taken seriously academically.
I don't know much about their arguments, but I'd imagine some of them have put together proper arguments to support their viewpoints - but nobody's going to pay them the slightest bit of notice, because to do so would be to give vile racist scumbags more attention than they deserve. They're in Gandhi stage 1 or 2 - either being ignored or mocked.

Free thinking sometimes has to mean going against established and accepted viewpoints - hell, that's the whole point I was making.

Is that really possible within accepted academics? I'm not sure it is.


However, if you infer 'academic' endeavours to mean seeking evidence and following it to find the truth, that has to be essential in finding a valid viewpoint, rather than a hollow 'possibility'.

Unfortunately a lot of people are rather good at sophistry and fudging evidence to fit whatever their whim decides they'd like to be the right answer.

I got involved in my uni debating society for a while. I met some pretty vile people, essentially training in winning arguments without actually being right, and learning ways to undermine other peoples' reasoning without actually addressing the points they made. Vile people. Many of them were interested in a career in politics. I'm sure they'll do supurbly.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.