GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Fantasy Fatwah"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 09/10/01 at 15:04
Regular
You are an extremist Leader.
You can place Fatwah on anyone you like, and you are promised a hit within 1 month.
Who are your targets?
No limits, but you must justify your religious murder:

Jamie Oliver:
Because he needs it. And you know it

P Diddy:
For his stupid name and stupid songs and stupid ex-girlfriend.

Steve Guttenburg:
For wasting his Police Academy potential
Mon 15/10/01 at 01:01
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
"No Logo" is cool, but more to do with the idea of branding and global-marketing.

Noam Chomsky presents a much more political and philosophical slant to things.
He's a linguistics proffesor, so he can get quite wordy, but stick with him and it opens your eyes.

He is worth reading, and specifically the "Manufacturing Consent" one, which is solely to do with media manipulation.
Mon 15/10/01 at 00:57
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
Is it in the vein of No Logo by Naomi Klein? I need more literary nourishment for my anarchistic streak...
Mon 15/10/01 at 00:49
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
This manipulation is a blatant occurence, and thankfully people are starting to stop and say "Well hang on a minute here" before blindly following the party-line (Sun readers excused).

Sir, there is a fantastic book about this exact subject by Noam Chomsky called "Manufacturin Consent:The Political Economy of The Mass Media".
You'd love it, trust me.
You can get it from Amazon or any bookstore.
Chomsky presents examples of media-manipulation from the 60s right through to The Gulf.

Check it out, it's incredible reading.
Mon 15/10/01 at 00:38
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
Do you ever feel like you being manipulated by the Western press? The fact is if our countries were even half as media-savvy as they claim to be this recent discussion would never have happened, due to the deluge of brilliantly subtle propaganda that would have convinced us of our nation's moral superiority. But no, people are seeing through the propaganda, if anything the taliban are winning the media war by turning the Western media against the bombings; today journalists were taken to freshly dug graves for civilian casualties. When I watch the news or read the papers I feel like I am being manipulated into believing that the West is winning this war, but the veneer they've built up is so feeble.. You only have to pke at it and it falls away. The war against terrorism is an exercise in futility. We will never win it. In fact it's rather like a bees' nest. IF you leave it well alone maybe you get stung once in a while by a stray worker bee, but if you go and batter the hell out of it you get chased by a marauding hoard of the buggers and the only way to escape is to dive into a river. But in International politics there are no rivers. Then again you can't present the bee population with an extradition document to get the queen bee to stand trial for your having been stung by a suicidal bee. Still it's not a bad comparison.

Unfortunately George is exactly the kind of dumb kid who enjoys battering bees' nests and who is stupid enough not to secure a line of escape.
Mon 15/10/01 at 00:20
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Nice to see people I'm not the only one thinking like this.

The way I see it, the US will not send ground troops in at all.
They'll continue to bomb..well, tents and cars. Let the Northern Alliance go in and fight (with US arms and ammo and funding) the Taliban.
Then once the Northern Alliance have cleared it all out,they take control.
But with a nice little US backing and support.

And then the USA have a foothold in the region, with the backing of the whole world.

Nice
Mon 15/10/01 at 00:11
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
3)Dropping of food aid in Afghanistan. Surely there is
> something wrong with the world when we bomb and feed the same people. All this
> strategic bombing business is rubbish. Scud missles with their finely tuned
> navigational systems have a 2% chance of hitting their targets. Doubtless people
> are dieing as bread gets dropped on their head from a great height. Also every
> humanitarian agence in the world worth its credability knows dropping food is a
> waste of time. 80% of Afghanistan has land mines, presumabley they are managing
> not to drop the food into land mine areas. Unlikely giving their history at
> precision bombing. Also who do they think is going to leg it out to get it. The
> old/very young/infirm and anyone else who needs it. Doubt it, probably been
> knocked out by a loaf of bread already. It would be funny in a Monty Python kind
> of way if it wasn't so desperately sad.

Food aid and bombing does seem rather absurd doesn't it? As does the ever burgeoning list of objectives america wants to carry out. First it was a war on terrorism then that expanded to toppling the taliban, who the SAS actually trained up to stop the communists, who next? Saddam Hussain? It's ridiculous, George W.Bush, bless him, keeps making the mistake of calling it a crusade.. Tony Blair tries to play the role of an international statesman and our media lauds him as the second most powerful man in the world. Please, note how America praises everyone who comes to talk to them, be it Gerhard Schroeder, the head of the UN. They don't care about who's aligned with them, Goergie has just been told to finish off Daddy's war.

So what are we left with? The inspired move of bombing and feeding Afghanistan. Of course the food is a token gesture as the amount of food dropped on the first day would have needed to be dropped 60 days running to feed the city of Kaboul for one day. Strange how we managed to feed the city of Berlin for over a year when we weren't concerned with bombing it to the ground when Stalin closed it off... No, food drops are a cheap tool used to appease the 'liberal folks back home'. I mean doesn't it just make you feel great that we are going to prevent aid workers from doing a better job at distributing food because of the slightly more impressive sight of a few food parcels being dropped into minefields.

As for strategic bombing! I heard that the list of targets in serbia was over 50 pages long. Well, in Afghanistan they struggled to fit the targets on to a solitary page. Among their great achievements were a UN aid centre, top marks for accuracy, and a mosque, and some dilapidated planes. Most impressive of all they managed to take out the Taliban leader's top of the range chevrolet. I wonder what's next? Apparently there's only one swimming pool in the whole of Afghanistan, think of the awesome aquatic superiority the US could gain if they could take it out. It's quite pathetic really. The air war will serve little purpose, if and when troops are sent in the casualties will be large because the taliban are guerilla fighters and big nations, no matter how advanced, can't hack guerilla warfare (see Vietnam, Afghanistan, Cuba, etc.) Ultimately it'll be left to the US to help the Northern Alliance assume power and then 20 years down the line they will use their US-supplied weapons to create problems for the US. (see Taliban and stinger missiles)

What is there to gain from this war? Well, it stops the troops from being complacent, let's you push through some legislation that didn't have a hope in hell before. Does it achieve justice? I don't think so. Bush continually refers to Retribution, Retaliation and Revenge. What a Christian he is! So much for turning the other cheek, I bet the page in George's Bible with the 'Sermon on the Mount' on, got torn out. 6,000 people died in the World Trade Centre atrocity, so what are we going to do? Kill 6,000 innocent Afghanis, or maybe we'll let stretch to 12,000 because American lives are worth so much more than everyone else's.

Initially I supported what was being done in Afghanistan. I thought Air strikes, if well targeted, might lead to Osama bin Laden being handed over and tried for mass genocide. That would have been justice. I could even have stretched to war on terrorism. But now it's all gone and become horribly messy. As usual the US, in its self-righteousness, supports 'freedom fighters' and deplores 'terrorists'. The Northern Alliance blow people up but they are freedom fighters, Osama bin Laden blows people up but he's a terrorist. Osama bin laden is a terrorist but so the numerous 'freedom fighters' the West supports in countries all over the world.

Perhaps it's time we got down off our holier-than-thou horse and stopped persecuting the 'infidels'. At the moment George W.Bush is sowing the seeds of destruction for our generation. The mess he's creating is still going to be around when all of us are older and he is gone. So my fantasy fatwah would be a little different. I would give George Bush and most of his cabinet a gun each, I would get Osama bin Laden and his 'associates' and give them a gun each, I would get Saddam Hussain and give him a gun, and finally I would get Fred Durst and give him a toy gun, and then put them all in a room together where they could fatwah and jihad and crusade the living hell out of each other. It would be best for everyone concerned.
Mon 15/10/01 at 00:05
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Revised Fatwah again:

Geri Halliwell.
Entertaininig the troops in The Middle East, except it's being filmed for her next video as well.
Nice, make some publicity out of this situation Geri, way to go.
The price on your soul is beyond anything I have witnessed, you've got a circle all to yourself m'dear when you pass on and down below.
Dante couldn't write enough books to cover your punishment, you vile, despicable corporate little demon.

People that go to DIY stores on a Sunday and cow around the isles when I have to go get some paint.
Take your fat, crying children somewhere else please, and stop shoving more food into their gaping maws.
Sun 14/10/01 at 23:59
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Kitty wrote:

3)Dropping of food aid in Afghanistan. Surely there is
> something wrong with the world when we bomb and feed the same people. All this
> strategic bombing business is rubbish. Scud missles with their finely tuned
> navigational systems have a 2% chance of hitting their targets.

Yup.
And something else pointed out in The Times today.
The food packages are being dropped.
Lovely, we care so much.
The packets are in English, Spanish, Korean and French.

Except 85% of Afghans are illiterate.
Or, speak Afghani.
To quote George Carling, "These guys are getting the cast-offs from some other tragedy."
Sun 14/10/01 at 23:32
Goatboy wrote:
> I guess you haven't been watching the news much then.
It's The Middle Ages all
> over again, but with nicer fireworks and you can watch it on tee-vee while you
> eat.

Its the war of the just and the free against terror. I resent you implying that our great leaders are anything other than enlightened models of modernity.
Sun 14/10/01 at 21:48
Regular
The chick from youíve been framed ñ need I say more?
Compensation companies --- I havenít lost a thumb so shut up!
MPs --- tax this tax that gah!
Old people (not all but some)
"Oh my god" Helen from big brother ñ oh my god
Hear say--- gah
The inventors of R n B ---gah!
Ntl---damned 2 hour cut off

Iím sure thereís more

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.