GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"And yet another Brute Force topic......"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 11/07/03 at 13:48
Regular
Got the game this morning and I have to say, I think an apology is in order. Maverick was right all along, the game is abysmal. Thank god for Maverick and GamesTM....or not.

Only yoking, the game's pretty good from what I've played. Maverick mate, I know it's your opinion, but we all know that you're chatting out ya ar$e. Welldone for trying it out an all, but at the end of the day, even if you did like it, you were never gonna admit to it. I can't help but feel, if the game came out on Cube then you wouldn't be anywhere near as harsh on it.

I just can't get over the fact that you love spewing out the faults you see in Brute Force to anyone who asks if it's any good. Yet you seem to have something of an unhealthy love for Jedi Knight 2 on Gamecube, one of the single most pathetic ports i've ever played, that game has so many bugs it's just not funny.

Brute Force ain't amazing, there's many things bad I could say about it. But at the end of the day, it's a good fun, brainless shooty game. Though I suppose if you start off with a negative attitude before you even play the game, I doubt you're really gonna give it much of chance.
Mon 14/07/03 at 17:50
Regular
I do...but it's not very good at the same time.

I'm enjoying it, but it's more of a filler game while I wait for my Xbox Live pack and all that.

What PM is saying makes complete sense, though I can live wiht it's faults because I do buy a hell of a lot of games.
Mon 14/07/03 at 17:41
Regular
I thought you liked Brute Force?
Mon 14/07/03 at 10:25
Regular
For once I totally agree with PM here.
Sun 13/07/03 at 17:03
Regular
I understand your pain - The Tram thing is getting outta hand, I wish they never started it now.

I live near Beeston.
Sun 13/07/03 at 16:59
Regular
"Best Price @ GAME :"
gamezfreak wrote:
> (btw Bell - do you still live in Notts?)

Yup, near Notts anyway. Haven't been into the City for a couple of weeks as the traffic problem is REALLY getting stupid. You can't win; catch a bus and it takes about 20mins from Victoria Centre to the end of Parliament Street, take the car and get ripped off for about £5 parking and still get stuck in a ton of traffic....

My problem with Brute Force is that it just is not good enough for a first party release. Even those who do enjoy don't seem convinced it's anything other than a good laugh. This is a game that's £30-£40, and if it gets a high score like Xgamer gave it, or like OXM gave it, then it should be good to pretty much everyone who buys it in some form. Clearly that is not the case.

For me, it's no big deal - as you can see I put it on eBay, move on to the other 28 games I have. What worries me is that this year has seen me buy a fair few supposedly excellent games only for them to be nowhere near as good as expected. Now, as said before, it doesn't wory me too much because I have plenty of other games and can shift what I don't want easily, but many people don't buy so many games and rely on reviews to judge accurately a game's worth. If I could only afford a game every two months, and Brute Force had been my choice based on every review apart from Games TM's, then I'd be pretty annoyed ! In fact, the constant let downs in Xbox Gaming this year influenced me enough to finally sort out a decent gaming PC because I know there will be some undoubtedly excellent titles I want right now.

Microsoft's market position is fragile, they don't need things like Brute Force to weaken it further.

I think the fact MS have only released a demo AFTER the big release speaks volumes.
Sun 13/07/03 at 15:55
Regular
"8==="
Practical Magic wrote:
> Hedfix, you miss the point entirely. Yes, you can sneak around, yes,
> you can set up ambushes. But the point I, and others, have made, is
> that it is perfectly possible just to blast through the game with no
> tactics at all.

And I may try that next time. Although if I try that on the later levels I will probably die form snipers and Fire Hounds a lot.

> but what is the point in having cpu controlled team mates when they > can't do stuff all ?

They can do a lot and they are pretty good. I've been saved by the cpu's a lot. Some don't suit a situation and are best left behind until the situation is resolved (just like in C:DS, the amount of times I've had to go 'sod it I'll do it myself' in that game is pretty high) also unlike in C:DS the BF Cpu's can actually dive out of the way of a grenade.
Sun 13/07/03 at 15:50
Regular
Hedfix wrote:
> Hey the games not for you.

That's an odd conclusion to come to, considering you ripped his argument apart by basically saying he was wrong and his opinion wasn't worth anything (due to your assumption that he's played the game for just one hour).
Sun 13/07/03 at 15:49
Regular
Arg!

These Brute Force arguements are doing my head in!

If you like Brute Force good for you.

If you hate Brute Force good for you.

Lets leave it at that ay Bell/Hedfix

(btw Bell - do you still live in Notts?)
Sun 13/07/03 at 15:47
Regular
"Best Price @ GAME :"
Hedfix, you miss the point entirely. Yes, you can sneak around, yes, you can set up ambushes. But the point I, and others, have made, is that it is perfectly possible just to blast through the game with no tactics at all. You don't NEED to do anything more than walk around blasting. Also, yes the controls are like Halo, and the crouch method was rubbish in Halo, and Halo is coming up for 2 years old. And, while were here, yes you can use the orders system to stop your comrades suicidal tendencies, but what is the point in having cpu controlled team mates when they can't do stuff all ?
Sun 13/07/03 at 15:15
Regular
"8==="
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> One thing I don't like about Brute Force is the fact that stealth just
> isn't an option in any of the levels, as soon as you get out in the
> open the enemy troops spot you straight away and there's nothing you
> can do about it.

Try playing as Hawk and Flint and walk don't run.

> It's like they have some kind extra sensory
> perception. Also, using the thumb stick click thing to duck down and
> having to hold it to stay that way is completly useless....it was the
> same in Halo, but you really didn't need to duck down most the time
> anyway.

Never had a problem with it. I got used to it in Halo.

>
> Oh and like you said earlier, you team mates AI is very annoying. It's
> okay for going through the game on the easiest difficulty setting, but
> anything above that and you'll find they wade into battle even when
> they're supposed to be covering you, and more often than not, get
> themselves killed. Very annoying when you're trying to get a perfect
> completion of the level.

Get them to guard areas and advance them in a military way. One covering the other whilst they move etc.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.