GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A bit of help please..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 16/07/03 at 18:36
Regular
Going to pick up a PS2 again in the next few days but wondered what the temprement was like. I owned one for 7 months before and didn't have any problems but I hear and read so many stories about how they brake down etc. I only mention this as I was thinking of getting a second hand one as I will be able to pick up a couple more games. However with the Disc errors and numerous problems I wondered if it would be better getting a new PS2?

Any information would be appreciated, thanks.
Thu 17/07/03 at 16:48
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
I'll get me coat then :)

Cheers
Thu 17/07/03 at 16:15
Regular
Correction the Xbox advanced scart cable has an AV Box with Optical output.
Thu 17/07/03 at 14:49
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
Scart and Optical are completely different.

You can't get a Scart lead with an optical lead built in, well not as far as I know [awaits correction]
Thu 17/07/03 at 14:43
Regular
Yes its because everything on the Xbox runs in DD 5.1 or DTS so I haven't really messeed around with anything else when running my Xbox. With my Dreamcast and GameCube though I run them through the Analog sockets for Pro Logic and 2 - 4 Channel surround. I was just curious as to whether I would need an advanced scart with optical output like I did with my Xbox.

Thanks for the help though.
Thu 17/07/03 at 14:25
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
Glad someone around here knows what he's talking about :D
Thu 17/07/03 at 13:19
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
Stereo sound goes through the optical cable too. Auto-function decoders don't recognise Prologic II though (and you should have the optical channel set to AFD to pick up DTS or Digital) so you may want to switch to your TV audio when playing a stereo game - no other phono connectors are needed apart from the scart cable.

I think you've been confused by the weirdy advanced scart shenanigans of the X-box.
Thu 17/07/03 at 12:40
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
Hmm....ok so now you've lost me :)

I'm usually crap at anything audio, all I know is how to connect my PS2 up to my 5.1 surround sound using the optical cable ..... after that it all goes a bit Pete Tong!
Thu 17/07/03 at 12:26
Regular
Thanks. I haven't actually got it yet and I didn't have a Dolby Digital system when I last owned a PS2.

For games like Devil May Cry though I take it I will need the Analog Stereo output sockets found on your standard RGB scart? I can't select 2 -4 channel stereo on my AMP when I play DVD's or Xbox games (not that I would want to) so I take it for the majority which run in stereo I will just need to use the stereo sockets?
Thu 17/07/03 at 11:53
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
Look on the back of your PS2, I think it's near the power switch area, you'll see a small black hole (oo-er) which is the Digital Output. You'll need to get a optical cable, SR supply them, do a search.

Plug one end into your PS2 and the other into your digital amp (optical connection) and hey presto you should have digital surround sound.

Piece of cake

:D
Thu 17/07/03 at 11:47
Regular
Cheers for the replies.

Are their any PS2 audio buffs around?

I am looking for a scart cable that I can use to connect my PS2 up to my Dolby Digital AMP. Preferably by Optical or Coaxial. I have searched the net and all I can find is the cables with stereo outputs. Wookie told me that a couple of the PS2 games run in DTS and a couple in full Dolby Digital yet without the option for Optical or Coaxial input this can not be possible.

Any help would be apprecaited.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.