GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PS2 - "12 months on and two top games"?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 04/10/01 at 08:56
Regular
Yes,
That's pretty much the stark reality of the PS2's life. It's going on for a year next month and so far there are literally only a few games that I would consider are absolutely essential purchases.

Gran Turismo 3 is without question a magnificent title despite some calling it 'short of what I expected'. SSX is another title that is testament to what the PS2 can do and let's not forget that it was there at the console's release either.

What's there apart from that though? Tekken Tag is good but not as good as hoped for. Crazy Taxi - a game that sold like mad on the Dreamcast resulted in a poor conversion that left the DC version looking better. Red Faction is a great game but visually a little dull with glitchy AI.
ISS was a disappointment and even the recently released Extreme G 3 (which I love) is capable of more.

Saying that though there are several games that I love (Shadow of Memories, Formula One 2001 and Crazy Taxi (despite the poor conversion)).

It's not all doom and gloom of course (and before you say it - I AM a PS2 owner).
Metal Gear Solid 2 is on the way, we're getting Virtua Tennis 2 (which potentially could be the best game on PS2) and some other dark horses including Ace Combat 4 are looming on the horizon.

I'm sure that some of you will disagree with me and that's fine but I know that of the games I have that there are only a few that I can proudly show off.

When you consider that I did that with around double that amount when I had my Dreamcast, it really is a surprise.

Let's have the backlash then.....
Fri 05/10/01 at 10:02
Should be getting World Championship Snooker 2002 shortly.

I can't stand snooker and I couldn't stop playing the Demo that came with Official PS2 mag a couple of months ago.

Great game (playability wise anyway). It reminds me of when I first played Virtua Tennis. Don't like Tennis much but loved the Sega title.

Still really getting in to XG3, looks gorgeous and man do those bikes get fast!!!
Thu 04/10/01 at 22:58
Regular
"You Bum!!"
Ill probably be on for 2 more hours since I dont have school till 1:45 pm
Thu 04/10/01 at 22:43
It is late, work to do, woman to satisfy.

Continue tomorrow probably.

C ya.
Thu 04/10/01 at 22:20
Well it is getting late..... ;)
Thu 04/10/01 at 21:21
Regular
"You Bum!!"
We can still continue arguing cant we?
Thu 04/10/01 at 21:06
Yep it was good

Thanx :-)
Thu 04/10/01 at 21:02
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
I enjoyed this discussion. Thanks to everyone that took part! :D
Thu 04/10/01 at 20:23
I'm glad to see that most people agree although we also seem to agree that the future does look promising.

At least it's not just me thinking this..... :D
Thu 04/10/01 at 19:16
MR.COATES wrote:
> Yes,
That's pretty much the stark reality of the PS2's life. It's going on for
> a year next month and so far there are literally only a few games that I would
> consider are absolutely essential purchases.

Gran Turismo 3 is without
> question a magnificent title despite some calling it 'short of what I expected'.
> SSX is another title that is testament to what the PS2 can do and let's not
> forget that it was there at the console's release either.

What's there apart
> from that though? Tekken Tag is good but not as good as hoped for. Crazy Taxi -
> a game that sold like mad on the Dreamcast resulted in a poor conversion that
> left the DC version looking better. Red Faction is a great game but visually a
> little dull with glitchy AI.
ISS was a disappointment and even the recently
> released Extreme G 3 (which I love) is capable of more.

Saying that though
> there are several games that I love (Shadow of Memories, Formula One 2001 and
> Crazy Taxi (despite the poor conversion)).

It's not all doom and gloom of
> course (and before you say it - I AM a PS2 owner).
Metal Gear Solid 2 is on the
> way, we're getting Virtua Tennis 2 (which potentially could be the best game on
> PS2) and some other dark horses including Ace Combat 4 are looming on the
> horizon.

I'm sure that some of you will disagree with me and that's fine but
> I know that of the games I have that there are only a few that I can proudly
> show off.

When you consider that I did that with around double that amount
> when I had my Dreamcast, it really is a surprise.

Let's have the backlash
> then.....

I would like to add an essential purchase that you missed out (ssxpro mentioned it) Resident Evil CV maybe its a DC conversion but its one of the best PS2 games so far along with GT3 and SSX(awesome but a bit old now dont you think?).

By the way, loads of awesome games to wait for in the coming months.
Cant wait.
Thu 04/10/01 at 19:14
Regular
I dont think the quality of games are up to standard either. BUt it will be sorted within the next two months. I have three top quality games on pre-order, and i may even get more.

This topic will sound soo stupid in 2002.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.