GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Console wars magazine article HELP NEEDED."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 23/07/03 at 16:16
Regular
I am writing an article for a future teenage magazine on the whole console wars debate and I need some help from all of you.

Basically, in the article, I want to explain the advantages and disadvantages of each particular console (PS2,Xbox,Gamecube) and which console would be right for them. The conclusion will basically be each person has a different opinion and therefore which console you choose has to be a personal choice but I want to list the pros and cons for each.

If you could help me by just listing 3 pros and 3 cons of either of the 3 consoles then then would really help me. I'm not asking for "Gamecube is the best because.........", what I need is "the pros and cons for Gamecube are as follows".

At the end of your message if you could just put VOTE and then the name of you favourite console then I might include this in the article as some sort of public opinion.

The magazine in question is only a local mag to be published soon and its a non-profit organisation.
I won't be copying your ideas, I just want to find out people's opinions on the matter but I think the vote part will be really interesting to include seeing as you are all obviously dedicated gamers and will be a good comparison of which console is most popular (as sales figures sometimes don't always tell the truth.....).

Thank you very much.
Fri 25/07/03 at 09:20
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> Its on IGN is the article about Rockstar just getting rid of the GTA
> to avoid the license and thats why they are brining Vice City.

It's NOT OFFICIAL IF IT'S FROM IGN!!!

IGN is a news/rumours/previews/reviews site.

And as for Midtown Madness it was a PC franchise and Microsoft have MADE it Xbox exclusive, my bad.
Fri 25/07/03 at 00:43
Regular
Its all so old now though that I really can't see the point in people discussing it anymore. Buy which ever console you think you will enjoy the most. I gave up listing game after game to convince people to buy a certain console ages a go. I list games now just to let people know whats on each console. Aside from that its boring and it isn't worth my time arguing which I think is the best console/home entertainment system anymore.
Fri 25/07/03 at 00:11
Regular
"¬_¬"
To be honest writing a 'console wars' article is a huge undertaking and something you really shouldn't tackle in one go. There are many, many facets of each console that need to be explored, a few in depth looks at various games, what sort of multiplayer, single player, online play there is available... too much for one article. Heck, look at what Edge have done - they've managed to make 4 magazine's worth of 'console wars' stuff.

And by the way - there isn't really a 'console war'. Among the more dedicated gamers, they can look beyond petty disputes between technology (which really doesn't mean anything, since a game's power is based upon the engine it uses) and actually value the games for what they're worth.

I wish you the best though. Oh, and make sure you let us know where we can check out the article. Should make for a good read.
Thu 24/07/03 at 23:29
Regular
PS2 Pros:
- Largest, and widest range of games on any console.
- Backwards compatable with an excellent library of PSOne games.
- Great peripherals (Eye Toy, Dance Mat, 'all-round' controller).
PS2 Cons:
- Future titles leave A LOT to be desired.
- Relatively primative power specifications.
- Expensive to buy and support.

GameCube Pros:
- Arguably the best current range of exclusive titles.
- The most quirky, fun and original games on any platform.
- A very prospective future.
GameCube Cons:
- Unstable third party support.
- Controller not perfect for perhaps a couple of genres.
- Unstable online plan.

Xbox Pros:
- A very prospective future.
- Economical; cheap, with a hard-drive and DVD Player to boot.
- An excellent online plan.
Xbox Cons:
- Not much to offer if you own a competent gaming PC.
- Controller not perfect for perhaps a couple of genres.
- Doesn't cater for all gaming tastes/genres.

VOTE: GAMECUBE
Thu 24/07/03 at 23:13
Regular
Practical Magic wrote:
> How about doing an article that says anyone who still puts any effort
> at all into anything resembling 'console wars' debate is not a gamer
> but just a plain idiot ?

How about you help him out, or be quiet?
Thu 24/07/03 at 22:57
Regular
"Best Price @ GAME :"
To be honest the Gamecube is, I feel, at the point Devil May Cry would have little impact. GC owners would like it, everyone else would generally see it as an old PS2 franchise that was never really brilliant in the first place.

Originality is the key, always has been in games, but then Sony came along with it's "trendy" marketing and...well the effect is obvious.
Thu 24/07/03 at 21:38
Regular
But if the GTA license (which at some point will) goes Multi format then surely Sony will be battling for the number one spot in the same way Microsoft and Nintendo are now.

The secondary next generation consoles will reveal more about Sony as they won't have a head start and I do believe that they won't have the GTA license or possibly even then Devil May Cry license. An article the other day was hinting towards a Devil May Cry game on the Cube. I would welcome it with open arms as I really enjoy the gothic - hack and slash style gameplay.

What happenes next should be interesting. I will hopefully pick all 3 up on release to save me deciding which two to pick.
Thu 24/07/03 at 21:20
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
To be honest I'd expect the Sony console exclusivity deal to be a bit more comprehensive than just a name... It's far too obvious a loophole for such a big corporation to miss.
Thu 24/07/03 at 21:06
Regular
Its on IGN is the article about Rockstar just getting rid of the GTA to avoid the license and thats why they are brining Vice City.

Oh and please find the link which says Midtown Madness 3 is on the PC because as far as I am aware they have no intentions to bring it to the PC.
Thu 24/07/03 at 21:01
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
I said most are on the PC. And Midtown Madness 3 actually IS, IIRC.

And as for Vice City on XBOX being official, feel free to link me to where Rockstar confirm it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.