GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What Sony and the PS2 needs..."

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 03/10/01 at 16:15
Regular
I think that in order for the Playstation2 to sell well it needs its own ìgame characterî. Obviously, Sega have Sonic and Nintendo have Mario. Why do I think this? Well, personally it doesnít matter to *me* if Sony has itís own character or not but I think people can be persuaded to buy x console because it has its own character. I would guess that 70% of Nintendo buyers but the N64 because of their exclusive game characters. Itís not just the fact that the characters are only on the x console but because they will also have exclusive games.

If Sony want the PS2 to do well I really think they need to get a few ìPS2 exclusive games/characters available for it. At the moment, people around the world are having a think about what console to get. They are going to look at the Nintendo Gamecube and notice that it has games on it that the PS2 hasnít. I know that the PS2 has games that the Nintendo have not got but itís not the same. Mario is a huge character and sells well on whatever Nintendo console it goes on.

What Gamecube is doing right and the PS2 doing wrong is all down to exclusive titles. Many people are delighted with the fact that the Gamecube has some fantastic titles that will never be made on any other console. Take Mario for instance. This is a game that I personally think people think of when they hear the words ìNintendoî Mario always features in a game with the launch of a console. This maybe is a point that the PS2 can not win.

I was quite shocked that SSX was going to be released on the Gamecube and the X-Box. With SSX being the best PS2 game in my view, I think this is another issue that needs to be fixed. I am not talking about the issue of SSX going on different consoles, but I think Sony need to persuade game companies to make PS2 exclusive games for it. This will certainly increase the user base for it, wouldnít it?

It will also help in advertising the console. Whenever you see Nintendo advertising their machine you will nearly always see Mario lurking around.

So- anyone else agree that Sony need to get some PS2 exclusive games/characters?
Thu 04/10/01 at 14:46
Regular
Resvilfan wrote:

Strafex, Splashdown has the best water model to date,
> GT3 has lovely wet tarmac and alot of games are just discovering it's power.
> Shame it took so damn long but it's almost there.

check out Final Fantasy X,
> thats better than anythng I've seen on both xbox and Gamecube :-D

I don't know about Splash Down's water might seem better but how do you know whether the devellopers sacrificed AI, Smoothness, resolution or polygons in order to do it?

And Final Fantasy shouldn't be compared to Xbox and Gamecube until the Xbox and Gamecube have Final Fantasy games to compare to.
The FF syle of game means that the back ground isn't interactive and the characters themselves need little if any AI.

Comparisons should come from similar games.

Take Resident Evil on the PS2 and Resident Evil on the Gamecube for example...

(still not wholly fair as Capcom didn't put as much effort into the PS2 one as the Gamecube one, but why not?)

Anyway, the topic was about Characters wasn't it?
Thu 04/10/01 at 14:22
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
Resvilfan wrote:
> along with alex kid.

Alex kid was a great game!! :-D

*Waits for a sequel to arrive on the PS2*

;-)
Thu 04/10/01 at 13:48
Regular
"Back For Good"
I had a master system, had that puzzle thing build in along with alex kid. It's dumb, used cartriges then some smaller sized games were on this credit card kinda thing.

daft

Strafex, Splashdown has the best water model to date, GT3 has lovely wet tarmac and alot of games are just discovering it's power. Shame it took so damn long but it's almost there.

check out Final Fantasy X, thats better than anythng I've seen on both xbox and Gamecube :-D
Thu 04/10/01 at 13:44
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
Can't you two have your war somewhere else?!
Thu 04/10/01 at 13:34
Regular
"  "
i still have my head timothy
Thu 04/10/01 at 12:59
Regular
PS2 can push heavy polygons but it's not so hot in the special effects arena.

Cel Shading and Anti Alaising are just some of the effects it really struggles with.

It doesn't necessarrily matter though.

It depends on the devellopers initiative and programming experience to hide these niggly bits.
Thu 04/10/01 at 12:57
Regular
Natbuc wrote:
> you make me laugh timothy

Grrrrrrrrrr

*rips Natbucs head off and does something down his neck*

:P
Thu 04/10/01 at 12:56
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
The PS2 does have anti-aliasing, it's just not in the games yet.

You cannot really be so annoyed with the jaggies that you wouldnt buy a game...

Play a master system and then you'll feel grateful!
Thu 04/10/01 at 12:54
Regular
"Back For Good"
yeah it causes a drop in performance which explains why most games don't use it.
Thu 04/10/01 at 12:48
Regular
"  "
calm down mate. Any ways its the producers of games that decide whether to anti-aliase games but if they do then it makes the game run slow. If u get what i mean

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.