GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What Sony and the PS2 needs..."

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 03/10/01 at 16:15
Regular
I think that in order for the Playstation2 to sell well it needs its own ìgame characterî. Obviously, Sega have Sonic and Nintendo have Mario. Why do I think this? Well, personally it doesnít matter to *me* if Sony has itís own character or not but I think people can be persuaded to buy x console because it has its own character. I would guess that 70% of Nintendo buyers but the N64 because of their exclusive game characters. Itís not just the fact that the characters are only on the x console but because they will also have exclusive games.

If Sony want the PS2 to do well I really think they need to get a few ìPS2 exclusive games/characters available for it. At the moment, people around the world are having a think about what console to get. They are going to look at the Nintendo Gamecube and notice that it has games on it that the PS2 hasnít. I know that the PS2 has games that the Nintendo have not got but itís not the same. Mario is a huge character and sells well on whatever Nintendo console it goes on.

What Gamecube is doing right and the PS2 doing wrong is all down to exclusive titles. Many people are delighted with the fact that the Gamecube has some fantastic titles that will never be made on any other console. Take Mario for instance. This is a game that I personally think people think of when they hear the words ìNintendoî Mario always features in a game with the launch of a console. This maybe is a point that the PS2 can not win.

I was quite shocked that SSX was going to be released on the Gamecube and the X-Box. With SSX being the best PS2 game in my view, I think this is another issue that needs to be fixed. I am not talking about the issue of SSX going on different consoles, but I think Sony need to persuade game companies to make PS2 exclusive games for it. This will certainly increase the user base for it, wouldnít it?

It will also help in advertising the console. Whenever you see Nintendo advertising their machine you will nearly always see Mario lurking around.

So- anyone else agree that Sony need to get some PS2 exclusive games/characters?
Wed 03/10/01 at 16:15
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
I think that in order for the Playstation2 to sell well it needs its own ìgame characterî. Obviously, Sega have Sonic and Nintendo have Mario. Why do I think this? Well, personally it doesnít matter to *me* if Sony has itís own character or not but I think people can be persuaded to buy x console because it has its own character. I would guess that 70% of Nintendo buyers but the N64 because of their exclusive game characters. Itís not just the fact that the characters are only on the x console but because they will also have exclusive games.

If Sony want the PS2 to do well I really think they need to get a few ìPS2 exclusive games/characters available for it. At the moment, people around the world are having a think about what console to get. They are going to look at the Nintendo Gamecube and notice that it has games on it that the PS2 hasnít. I know that the PS2 has games that the Nintendo have not got but itís not the same. Mario is a huge character and sells well on whatever Nintendo console it goes on.

What Gamecube is doing right and the PS2 doing wrong is all down to exclusive titles. Many people are delighted with the fact that the Gamecube has some fantastic titles that will never be made on any other console. Take Mario for instance. This is a game that I personally think people think of when they hear the words ìNintendoî Mario always features in a game with the launch of a console. This maybe is a point that the PS2 can not win.

I was quite shocked that SSX was going to be released on the Gamecube and the X-Box. With SSX being the best PS2 game in my view, I think this is another issue that needs to be fixed. I am not talking about the issue of SSX going on different consoles, but I think Sony need to persuade game companies to make PS2 exclusive games for it. This will certainly increase the user base for it, wouldnít it?

It will also help in advertising the console. Whenever you see Nintendo advertising their machine you will nearly always see Mario lurking around.

So- anyone else agree that Sony need to get some PS2 exclusive games/characters?
Wed 03/10/01 at 17:07
Is some ways I agree in others I dont

Sony beat sega and nitendo without a main character and I think nitendo has the young user appeal unlike sony

HELP SILENT HILL :)
Wed 03/10/01 at 18:39
Regular
"360: swfcman"
If sony came up with a character now i would say it would be either Lara Croft or Snake. Personally i would hate if we had Lara as we would get endless Tomb Raider games like sega get loads of sonic ones and nintendo get loads of Mario ones.

I dont think Sony really need a character, they have sold bucket loads of PS1's without a character, all they have given us is top quality games to play with hundreds of great characters to play as.
Wed 03/10/01 at 18:52
Regular
"~SRS~humpo"
the thing with mascots is they all seem to be cutsie cartoon characters from platform games.

i think the time for a mascot charachter has gone , i beleive they are required at the consoles release.
Wed 03/10/01 at 18:53
Regular
"You Bum!!"
And since the price of the PS2 has come down, I think that Sony are going to sell a lot more of those....
Wed 03/10/01 at 18:56
Regular
"Touched!"
although snake would be a good mascot, i think as long as the ps2 keeps getting good games then it doesn't really need a mascot, good post though :)
Wed 03/10/01 at 19:22
Regular
Jak & Daxter are meant to be the new game character mascots
Wed 03/10/01 at 19:27
Regular
"360: swfcman"
I dont know about that, they are not known enough to be any real promotional advantage for sony.
Wed 03/10/01 at 19:34
Regular
its from the makers of crash and they rekon it will be bigger it Crash ever was/ will be
Wed 03/10/01 at 20:16
Regular
"You Bum!!"
Could work I suppose

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.