GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"F-ZERO GX"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'F-Zero GX'.
Wed 30/07/03 at 17:02
Regular
Well to be honest i haven't had time to play it, after having to go to a London Hospital for a personal reason. However i have played it for at least an hour and all i can say is SUPERB. I will hopefully be able to answer your questions and do a more In-Depth type of review around this time tomorrow, but if there's any questions about Japanese text, all i can say is there is alot of it and it might put you off, if your interested in the story etc.. However it hasn't stopped me from playing it!!! Sorry about the delay but you can rest assured that it's fantastic and no let-down! :) Sorry again.
Thu 31/07/03 at 15:56
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
Valentino Rossi wrote:
> Valentino Rossi wrote:
> any more views m.o.t ? I am going to get the USA version when it's
> out, it there a online scoring/password/ranking system like for the
> arcade version ?
>
> good informative post m.o.t, do you get any time related password
> after setting a lap time (or prehaps you have to use time trial mode?)
> please put me out of my misery.

Nope. You only get this option with the AX (Arcade) version of the game.
Thu 31/07/03 at 15:55
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
Bleeders wrote:
> Next to Zelda and Monkey Ball. This is the next best reason to own a
> GC.

don't forget Ikaruga
Regular
"bit of a brain"
I am positively moist.
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
Valentino Rossi wrote:
> any more views m.o.t ? I am going to get the USA version when it's
> out, it there a online scoring/password/ranking system like for the
> arcade version ?

good informative post m.o.t, do you get any time related password after setting a lap time (or prehaps you have to use time trial mode?) please put me out of my misery.
Thu 31/07/03 at 15:53
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
This may become my outstanding GAD claim
Thu 31/07/03 at 15:52
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
Oh, m.o.t, don't be so hasty to declare that the Monkey Ball and Starfox logos haven't made the game - that's why there's an 'Items' section in the F-Zero Shop for such things, as well as Staff Ghosts for Time-Trials etc.
Thu 31/07/03 at 15:50
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
Next to Zelda and Monkey Ball. This is the next best reason to own a GC.

I wasn't sold on the stick-sensitivity at first, but good ol' AV have stuck an option in there to adjust that, which I did. ^_^

You should check out the Best Times thread at the NTSC-UK forums. It's getting nice and competitive down there ^_^

Just got to improve my Mute City (Serial Gap) time by a few seconds ;)
Thu 31/07/03 at 15:48
Regular
"bit of a brain"
You've got me all aflutter.
Thu 31/07/03 at 15:45
Regular
"Rasmus R The Best!"
Yes i have:

Graphics: Superb! The lighting effects in Mute City and Vegas are fantastic, and the sand in Sand Ocean, looks extremly realistic. All Levels so far are fantastic and nothing goes pear shaped when your speed goes to about 1500 (blurred etc..) You can see that time has been made to make sure F-Zero GX has superb graphics and there own par with Metroid Prime and most of the time even better. The cars themselves also look very cool espicially when you can make Blue Falcon; Black, Red, or Green. 9/10

Sound: Again nothing short of excellent. The noise when you hit the sides of the track are brilliant and the superb scraps where you are hit by one of the 30th opponents are really realistic. 9/10

Controls: Very surprising, after thinking it would be near impossible to turn corners i was very surprised when i could easily, (However i did use Captain Falcon) other racers have different advantages and disadvantages, so grip can change. The controls are Hold down A to move the car, move with the control stick, Press Y after the first lap to use 'Super Boost' but this does take your shield power away, so becareful. and L and R are sliding Left and Right. It's very easy to DIE and you only have 1 life per race, however you can keep continuing the race once you died and i haven't come across 'A amount of continues' as of yet, for example. You also have to choose your cars balance which is very odd as i haven't noticed any difference when changing it! 9/10

Modes: Story mode is a lovely extra and is needed to be played if you want to win more tickets. The story mode is a tad like Soul Calibur 2 where you have to do different things to progress, for example the first Story mode game see's you racing on a track on your own and having to collect 30 scattered orange item things (Mario Kart 64 crystals for example) in 3 laps and a very harsh time limit, the second story level see's you racing one opponent 'Samurai Goroh' in a desert with falling boulders rolling onto the track. All levels begin and end with a superb looking cutscene (with English voice over) to tell the story. I think their is about 8 chapters per character and each characters story mode is unique (but i'm not certain yet). The Grand Prix mode is obviously like F-Zero's outing on the N64, VS battle and Time Attack finish a superb package. 10/10

Other modes: Customize, is where the problem of it being Japanese begins, guess work is needed what to do, but once you get the hang of it it's second nature and now i understand it. The Logo edit is cool but it is a simple as Animal Crossing (Pretty much indetical actually) and the logo's that are already on the game are fantastic and cannot be done by anyone in Logo edit mode, you must do simple things: Take Kirby for example a pink circle, with a mouth and two eye's could easily be done. HOWEVER, NINTENDO DID SHOW SUPER MONKEY BALL AND STAR FOX OFFICAL LOGOS IN RECENT SCREENSHOTS BUT IT LOOKS LIKE THEY HAVEN'T MADE THE GAME, which is a real shame as they would of looked superb, if i do win them or come across them i'll tell you straight away. Making your own ship is as easy as one, two, three but you must play Grand Prix and Story mode to unlock different parts etc.. which add's a hell of alot of replay value. The amount of ships that can be made is estimated at 8000!!! 8/10

Levels: Words cannot describe most of these levels, the speed is fantastic in EVERYONE of them. I haven't actaully got a favourite as there all brilliant. Don't expect simple ground level racing, one level see's you flying off an edge and trying to make the racing track below, and at a speed of 1500 It's near impossible. Port Town is extremly 'Busy' and add's an extra twist where you have to move out of the way of spinning fans. Old fav's return where bombs are scattered around the floor, mud slows you down and levels seperate so you can take a more dangerous route. 10/10

Overall F-Zero GX is a superb game and one of the best on the Gamecube, IT WILL shift a hell of alot of Gamecube's if the advertisement etc.. Is done properly in Europe but that is up to Nintendo. ALSO don't worry about saving, F-Zero GX saves automatically after each Grand Prix race and if anything special happens for example, most of the game except Customize has English in it, so you'll always get what's happening. Final Score 98% (Don't add up scores above this is just my final % score in my opinion). BUY IT NOW!
Thu 31/07/03 at 15:00
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
any more views m.o.t ? I am going to get the USA version when it's out, it there a online scoring/password/ranking system like for the arcade version ?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.