GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Computing A-Level - "Is it useful in the real world?""

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 28/09/01 at 18:47
Regular
Im doing computing for an A-Level at College and am realy enjoying it.

The one thing im worried about is, "Is this A-Level useful?"

We are programming in a language called PASCAL and weve started doing basic functions such as adding up numbers and asking for information from the user.

I appreciate the fact that this is just newbie stuff! But is the language "pascal" used often in the real world?

Also, Im not sure if anyone will know this, but what do they use to make computer games (eg Championship Manager) because I would really like to go into the computer game industry when im older.

Thanks
Fri 28/09/01 at 19:40
Regular
"I dnt wnt a Tagline"
Thanks for the help Logan

I would be really interested in going into computer game programming whatever the money.

Tony's job seems pretty cool aswell! You get to own a company that sells games and accessories, you can come on these forums, talk to people etc etc......

I wonder how much money he is making?

TONY?!!! :-)
Fri 28/09/01 at 19:52
DeltaJava wrote:
> Wow. That's correct, I suppose, which is why we're studying Visual Basic and
> the world of objects at college at the mo.

VB... nice idea, but some huge problems with it! Firstly, it doesn't automatically become an explicit language... for example:

I create a variable called Logan
I then say Logn = 5 (accidentally spell Logan wrong).
VB will make a new "varient" variable type (which requires 16bytes!) to store this new variable "Logn".

Mind you, that's a minor niggle, and can easily be corrected by typing something like "option explicit" (or is tat object explicit?) at the bginning of the program.

One thing VB is great for is linking in with excel, word, access and the rest of office... allowing you to make some great programs (which is what I'm doing for my A level project!).

However, MS has allowed you to have so much power over the computer that so many excel and word viruses have been made and spread over the net... hahahahahahahahahaha.
Fri 28/09/01 at 19:53
BORRIS wrote:
> Thanks for the help Logan

I would be really interested in going into computer
> game programming whatever the money.

Tony's job seems pretty cool aswell! You
> get to own a company that sells games and accessories, you can come on these
> forums, talk to people etc etc......

I wonder how much money he is
> making?

TONY?!!! :-)

Internet businesses are a great way to make money... low down payment, and great opportunitues. One of my friends has a web site that sells cars...

It is now values at several tens of thousands of pounds! He's 18!

Good thig we have our own business ventures together now :)
Fri 28/09/01 at 19:59
Logan wrote:
> DeltaJava wrote:
> Wow. That's correct, I suppose, which is why we're
> studying Visual Basic and
> the world of objects at college at the
> mo.

VB... nice idea, but some huge problems with it! Firstly, it doesn't
> automatically become an explicit language... for example:

I create a variable
> called Logan
I then say Logn = 5 (accidentally spell Logan wrong).
VB will
> make a new "varient" variable type (which requires 16bytes!) to store
> this new variable "Logn".

Mind you, that's a minor niggle, and
> can easily be corrected by typing something like "option explicit" (or
> is tat object explicit?) at the bginning of the program.

One thing VB is
> great for is linking in with excel, word, access and the rest of office...
> allowing you to make some great programs (which is what I'm doing for my A level
> project!).

However, MS has allowed you to have so much power over the
> computer that so many excel and word viruses have been made and spread over the
> net... hahahahahahahahahaha.

I'm, also linking them all up for my project... like thousands of others.
Fri 28/09/01 at 20:01
Linking all the programs together, that is, to create a true suite. I've also got the beta version of Visual Studio .NET, which could come in handy in learning XML.
Fri 28/09/01 at 22:42
"shut it you tart"
Stryke wrote:

We also have nice new black Dell
> PCs at our school...You don't happen to live in Bucks, do you?

Has every school/college got black Dell computers now? Ours has! Maybe they're giving them away or something. Mind you, they're only Celerons...
Fri 28/09/01 at 23:03
Delta.. I too am making my own suite of programs... hopefully it will be different ennough from the Windows interface to add interest!

As for the black dells.... our school have RM computers... complete waste of time that they are!
Fri 28/09/01 at 23:12
Regular
I'm learning Visual Basic in AS computing and learning C++ at home.

I'm also doing Maths, Further Maths and Physics which should line me up nicely for a career in programming - hopefully games.

Now although you might not use the likes of Visual Basic and Pascal in your career or whatever, it'll still halp you devellop strong programming skills and techniques.

The same goes with learning C++ or C.

Yes, you can learn it at Uni, but if you already have good knowledge of it and programming, you'll be able to get straight into something interesting rather than faffing around with new terms etc.
It's also a good foundation for C#, the new programming language in town.

So, a computing in A Level.

Not absolutely necessarry but definately worthwhile.
You learn all sorts as well as programming as well like how the systems work and how Binary is used and how information is stored...

Sure, you can learn it anyway from books and magazines, but atleasst this way you get a neat qualification out of it. :-)
Fri 28/09/01 at 23:28
Yes, all good points Strafex... but...

To go into programming games you have to do a degree... unless you are the next miyamoto and can prove it! So uni it is for most of us!

Now, at uni they start as though you have no knowledge of computers at all... from ground zero so to speak. They even make sure of this, by using functional programming languages that no one will have ever used (they hope!)... which are not remotely like procedural programming languages.

So your knowledge of C and the like is useless to begin with. Of course knowledge of things like binary helps... but this is just maths... I studied binary at GCSE, and my "paper 9" was on it.

In reality the only time that prior knowledge will help is in your final year project... by which time everyone should be able to pick up C just like that. (At least, that's what the good unis aim for).

So, Computing is pretty useless for Computer Sciences at uni... but will no doubt help gain a computer based job.
Fri 28/09/01 at 23:31
Regular
you say computing A-level aint useful in the real world? you should see some of the pointless crap we do In A level Maths...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.