GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Computing A-Level - "Is it useful in the real world?""

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 28/09/01 at 18:47
Regular
Im doing computing for an A-Level at College and am realy enjoying it.

The one thing im worried about is, "Is this A-Level useful?"

We are programming in a language called PASCAL and weve started doing basic functions such as adding up numbers and asking for information from the user.

I appreciate the fact that this is just newbie stuff! But is the language "pascal" used often in the real world?

Also, Im not sure if anyone will know this, but what do they use to make computer games (eg Championship Manager) because I would really like to go into the computer game industry when im older.

Thanks
Fri 28/09/01 at 18:47
Regular
"I dnt wnt a Tagline"
Im doing computing for an A-Level at College and am realy enjoying it.

The one thing im worried about is, "Is this A-Level useful?"

We are programming in a language called PASCAL and weve started doing basic functions such as adding up numbers and asking for information from the user.

I appreciate the fact that this is just newbie stuff! But is the language "pascal" used often in the real world?

Also, Im not sure if anyone will know this, but what do they use to make computer games (eg Championship Manager) because I would really like to go into the computer game industry when im older.

Thanks
Fri 28/09/01 at 18:50
"period drama"
nothing you have to learn is useful, only the stuff you learn by mistake.
Fri 28/09/01 at 18:53
I'm also taking Computing A Level, but wer're lucky enough to study Visual Basic on our nice new black Dell PCs. PASCAL isn're really what you call industry standard, especially for games - C, C++ and (of course) Java are the way to go.
Fri 28/09/01 at 18:55
Regular
FinalFantasyFanatic wrote:
> nothing you have to learn is useful, only the stuff you learn by mistake.

Um, OK....You surely have no clue about learning do you?
Fri 28/09/01 at 18:58
Regular
DeltaJava wrote:
> I'm also taking Computing A Level, but wer're lucky enough to study Visual Basic
> on our nice new black Dell PCs. PASCAL isn're really what you call industry
> standard, especially for games - C, C++ and (of course) Java are the way to go.

We also have nice new black Dell PCs at our school...You don't happen to live in Bucks, do you?
Fri 28/09/01 at 19:01
"period drama"
yeah, like knowing how to work out quadratic equations with a graph is something that's really going to help you in life.

y'know, go into work. AGHH! the boss!.

"hey you- if john has three triple-edged 3d triangles with a width, breath and height of 2.3345908mm, how much can he fit into a hexagonal box of twelve circular biscuits?"

-it doesn't happen
Fri 28/09/01 at 19:05
Stryke wrote:
> DeltaJava wrote:
> I'm also taking Computing A Level, but wer're lucky
> enough to study Visual Basic
> on our nice new black Dell PCs. PASCAL
> isn're really what you call industry
> standard, especially for games - C,
> C++ and (of course) Java are the way to go.

We also have nice new black Dell
> PCs at our school...You don't happen to live in Bucks, do you?

Nope, Gorseinon. It's in Wales.
Fri 28/09/01 at 19:24
I ma studying triple maths (yes! TRIPLE), and computing at A level at the mo, and am about to apply to my unis for Computer Sciences.

Computing A level is NOT required for this course. Rather, unis want maths, and would also like Further maths, and/or Physics. Teh reaosn is somply that when you go to uni, they assume that no one has ever done any programming or whatever, and start at ground zero.

"Great! I know Visual Basic, so I'll be light years ahead!" you may say...
Not true! Instead all the unis I am applying to use obscure functional programming languages that no one would ever use! The reason is that no one has a head start!

Essentially, the top unis are not going to teach you a language... they will make you so good in computing that you can learn it yourself over a weekend. (In their own words).

Now, as for computing A level being useful... well, if you go for a job that requires the use of computers then it will look great if you have an A level. It will definately help you get the job. BUT, it will not help you in the job! No one uses Pascal! The language was invented so that people could learn how to program! In real life it is not needed.... all you need to do is use Word, excel and access! The programming stuff only comes in if you do a degree- and as I've said, computing A level is not needed for this by ANY oif the unis I am applying to!
Fri 28/09/01 at 19:29
Oh, and to add to my last post... your question about making games....

Indeed, these are made in C and C++. Thgeer is no point in just learning these though. All the best computer game developers want people who have been at uni studying either Maths, Computer Sciences or Physics. (presumably you'd have to do some computer modules in your maths degree if you wanted to go into the industry).

If you go to a good uni picking up C or C++ will be easy.

Final point, I too wanted to become a game programmer. However, the one reason I haven't pursued this is that the income is pathetic compared to the amount of money the games industry is worth! The fact si that if you get a good degree, for a good uni, you can earn far, far more in another business!
Fri 28/09/01 at 19:32
Wow. That's correct, I suppose, which is why we're studying Visual Basic and the world of objects at college at the mo.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.