GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Computing A-Level - "Is it useful in the real world?""

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 28/09/01 at 18:47
Regular
Im doing computing for an A-Level at College and am realy enjoying it.

The one thing im worried about is, "Is this A-Level useful?"

We are programming in a language called PASCAL and weve started doing basic functions such as adding up numbers and asking for information from the user.

I appreciate the fact that this is just newbie stuff! But is the language "pascal" used often in the real world?

Also, Im not sure if anyone will know this, but what do they use to make computer games (eg Championship Manager) because I would really like to go into the computer game industry when im older.

Thanks
Sat 29/09/01 at 00:44
Bob wrote:
> I was doing computing, electronice and maths. I gave it up because it had
> nothing to do with the real world. Pascal is an old language with is of no use.
> The web languages or C++ ar the only useful thing ou need to learn. Have you
> started doing binary yet? it is the most pointless thing you will every learn.

Complex numbers! What utter nonsense! Any real life application for having imaginary numbers? no!
Sat 29/09/01 at 00:16
Regular
I was doing computing, electronice and maths. I gave it up because it had nothing to do with the real world. Pascal is an old language with is of no use. The web languages or C++ ar the only useful thing ou need to learn. Have you started doing binary yet? it is the most pointless thing you will every learn.
Fri 28/09/01 at 23:52
Regular
some people are just naturally clever i suppose...i tired doing what u do last year(bunking lessons to do more exciting stuff) but i ended up failing :(

This time round, i went to 100% of my lessons but still only came out with a D in maths.
Fri 28/09/01 at 23:47
OrÜega wrote:
> triple maths?! i can just about hack the standard stuff...but triple...

> modules?! i'm only doing 18 for all my A levels!

Yer.... Triple maths, and computing... and general studies! 5 A levels! WOW! But, I'm good at maths...

I can (literally) learn a whole module in just 2 days... which is why i never do any homework, ans sometimes miss lessons... and then get 100% in the exams to the annoyancle of my teachers!
Fri 28/09/01 at 23:46
Strafex wrote:

It's like the
> difference between badminton and Tennis.

Good analogy! Must remember that one!
Fri 28/09/01 at 23:44
Regular
triple maths?! i can just about hack the standard stuff...but triple...

18 modules?! i'm only doing 18 for all my A levels!
Fri 28/09/01 at 23:44
Regular
Still, basic programming skills and knowledge of how the computer actually uses this information often comes through experience. You either learn it a Uni (along with a million other new concepts) or just learn to type new words in place of the old ones (a little bit of an exaduration).

It's like the difference between badminton and Tennis.

They're completely different games and both can be learned from scratch, but skills you learn in one will be carried over to the other.
Fri 28/09/01 at 23:41
OrÜega wrote:
> you say computing A-level aint useful in the real world? you should see some of
> the pointless crap we do In A level Maths...

You forget... I am doing TRIPLE MATHS... 3 a levels in maths! 18 modules!

Useless... oh yes!
Fri 28/09/01 at 23:31
Regular
you say computing A-level aint useful in the real world? you should see some of the pointless crap we do In A level Maths...
Fri 28/09/01 at 23:28
Yes, all good points Strafex... but...

To go into programming games you have to do a degree... unless you are the next miyamoto and can prove it! So uni it is for most of us!

Now, at uni they start as though you have no knowledge of computers at all... from ground zero so to speak. They even make sure of this, by using functional programming languages that no one will have ever used (they hope!)... which are not remotely like procedural programming languages.

So your knowledge of C and the like is useless to begin with. Of course knowledge of things like binary helps... but this is just maths... I studied binary at GCSE, and my "paper 9" was on it.

In reality the only time that prior knowledge will help is in your final year project... by which time everyone should be able to pick up C just like that. (At least, that's what the good unis aim for).

So, Computing is pretty useless for Computer Sciences at uni... but will no doubt help gain a computer based job.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.