GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"IGN Review Soul Calibur 2..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Soul Calibur 2'.
Thu 28/08/03 at 09:56
Regular
... and I'm going to buy it as soon as it's released. Here's IGN's summing up of the game:

Closing Comments
The simple fact of the matter is, Soul Calibur II is best weapons-based fighter out there, period. It's also one of the best games in the fighting genre itself. There's a diverse selection of characters, a deep fighting system, a decent single-player mode, and the multiplayer is as fun as it ever was.

The problem (if that's what you want to call it) is that Soul Calibur on Dreamcast was, at the time of its release, an almost monumental achievement and breakthrough in fighting games. Soul Calibur II is essentially more of the same great stuff that made its predecessor the genre-defining game that it was, but in the context of the present day and the corresponding competition, the impact of such a game has been greatly reduced. Does that mean Soul Calibur II is old, outdated, and even obsolete? Absolutely not. What it does mean is that Soul Calibur did a lot things right the first time and ironically, that works against the sequel to a degree.

And so, while evolution is not always mandatory, sometimes pushing the boundaries can lead to bigger and better things. In the case of Soul Calibur II, contentment will do just fine.

- - - -

And they gave it 9.2 out of 10. I'm off to pre-order, as I loved the original...
Thu 28/08/03 at 21:43
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> The original is over rated. I still have it for my Dreamcast but never
> play it and never really have done because it was just a modified
> Tekken engine with weapons and recently I picked up Tekken 4 which to
> me is a much better game all round.

Tekken 4 the better game all round? I know that's your opinion, but I played Soul Calibur for ages and completed it all the way through, getting all weapons, characters, photos etc, etc. But Tekken 4, I had it one night and completely finished it, so I took it back and traded it next day.
Thu 28/08/03 at 21:18
Regular
Nah, Soul Calibur was one of the few games I really enjoyed on the Dreamcast. I didn't think much of Dead or Alive 3, and the Volleyball was a bit rubbish - so I'm not too excited about the fourth instalment. The weapons and characters in Soul Calibur make it a much more interesting game for me than DOA or Tekken.

I'll be getting it on GameCube though - for Link and the controller.
Thu 28/08/03 at 18:01
Regular
The first one is less than impressive and it got boring extremly fast. I won't be getting Soul Calibur 2 based on the fact that the first is over hyped in a ridiculous way. IGN gave it 10 and so did Gamespot which is almost laughable as it is far from perfect.
Thu 28/08/03 at 17:44
Regular
It's really crap actually.
Thu 28/08/03 at 15:54
Regular
Dead or Alive 4 will piece on it from a great height. Soul Calibur uses a modified Tekken engine and although Tekken 4 is a great game it isn't in the same league as the awesome Dead or Alive 3.
Thu 28/08/03 at 13:16
Regular
This is going to be the best beat 'em up ever.
Thu 28/08/03 at 12:22
"I love yo... lamp."
It does sound really good. If it is half as good as the original then we are in for a real treat.
Thu 28/08/03 at 12:21
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Meh, not the sort of game I enjoy. Button mashing and punch/punch/kick.
Thu 28/08/03 at 12:21
Regular
The original is over rated. I still have it for my Dreamcast but never play it and never really have done because it was just a modified Tekken engine with weapons and recently I picked up Tekken 4 which to me is a much better game all round. With Dead or Alive 4 and Online I won't be picking up yet 'another' fighting game as the only have one goal in the end and I don't want to get bored of them before the grand daddy of Dead or Alive 4 is released.
Thu 28/08/03 at 09:56
Regular
... and I'm going to buy it as soon as it's released. Here's IGN's summing up of the game:

Closing Comments
The simple fact of the matter is, Soul Calibur II is best weapons-based fighter out there, period. It's also one of the best games in the fighting genre itself. There's a diverse selection of characters, a deep fighting system, a decent single-player mode, and the multiplayer is as fun as it ever was.

The problem (if that's what you want to call it) is that Soul Calibur on Dreamcast was, at the time of its release, an almost monumental achievement and breakthrough in fighting games. Soul Calibur II is essentially more of the same great stuff that made its predecessor the genre-defining game that it was, but in the context of the present day and the corresponding competition, the impact of such a game has been greatly reduced. Does that mean Soul Calibur II is old, outdated, and even obsolete? Absolutely not. What it does mean is that Soul Calibur did a lot things right the first time and ironically, that works against the sequel to a degree.

And so, while evolution is not always mandatory, sometimes pushing the boundaries can lead to bigger and better things. In the case of Soul Calibur II, contentment will do just fine.

- - - -

And they gave it 9.2 out of 10. I'm off to pre-order, as I loved the original...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.