GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"IGN Review Soul Calibur 2..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Soul Calibur 2'.
Thu 28/08/03 at 09:56
Regular
... and I'm going to buy it as soon as it's released. Here's IGN's summing up of the game:

Closing Comments
The simple fact of the matter is, Soul Calibur II is best weapons-based fighter out there, period. It's also one of the best games in the fighting genre itself. There's a diverse selection of characters, a deep fighting system, a decent single-player mode, and the multiplayer is as fun as it ever was.

The problem (if that's what you want to call it) is that Soul Calibur on Dreamcast was, at the time of its release, an almost monumental achievement and breakthrough in fighting games. Soul Calibur II is essentially more of the same great stuff that made its predecessor the genre-defining game that it was, but in the context of the present day and the corresponding competition, the impact of such a game has been greatly reduced. Does that mean Soul Calibur II is old, outdated, and even obsolete? Absolutely not. What it does mean is that Soul Calibur did a lot things right the first time and ironically, that works against the sequel to a degree.

And so, while evolution is not always mandatory, sometimes pushing the boundaries can lead to bigger and better things. In the case of Soul Calibur II, contentment will do just fine.

- - - -

And they gave it 9.2 out of 10. I'm off to pre-order, as I loved the original...
Sat 30/08/03 at 19:04
Regular
"Laughingstock"
When I think of Beat-em-ups, I think of a dead genre. It's all been seen and done to the point of nausea. And these days, they are virtually nothing more than graphical showcases.
The fighters fight like ballet dancers and are drenched in cliche: the big wrestler type, the cute japanese chick who can jump high and is fast, the mysterious martial arts master, the beast man, etc.

Dead.
Sat 30/08/03 at 13:26
Regular
Savatt78 wrote:
> And of course out of the 3 exclusive characters, I'm happy with the
> Xbox getting Spawn as he's definatly the most impressive of the 3 in
> my opinion. ;-)

WOuld have been good if they'd have included his cape. Spawn without a cape is like Ron Jeremy without a pen*s, it's just not right.
Sat 30/08/03 at 09:02
Regular
"Best Price @ GAME :"
Well I think it'll be great, and every review I've seen so far supports that, even Edge liked it for heavens sake...
Fri 29/08/03 at 23:59
Regular
Just because you don't like Tekken 4 doesn't mean it is sheet you nonce. You didn't complete and unlock everything because you get extras for doing Survival and Time attack. You completed the story mode (big wow) and then took it back. Thats not 100% completion of a game especially not with all the extra modes that Tekken 4 offers.
Fri 29/08/03 at 19:39
Regular
No, really, it's very crap.

My brother imported the Jap GC version. Now I could play it anytime I liked, so why did I stop after two days?

It also took no more than 30 minutes to complete the normal mode and the 'extra' version that was unlocked, despite having never played it before. I also have a feeling there were no difficulty settings.

And there aren't enough moves.
Fri 29/08/03 at 18:30
Regular
"everyone says it"
Whitestripes DX wrote:
> It's really crap actually.

Its actually very good and plays best on the Gamecube (quoted from ign).

:P

Although the XBox is getting DE2 and Half Life. So thats damn cool.
Fri 29/08/03 at 18:22
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> You completed Tekken 4 in one night? Including Force mode + story mode
> with all characters + survival mode + time attack + unlocked
> everything? Liar is a harsh word but you are talking an*l on this
> one.

I completed story mode with all characters, Force mode was pants so I completed it with a few guys then it got boring. Survival and Time Attack are just extra modes that I hardly ever bother about in any beat-em-up. So yea, I completed all of Story mode with all characters and unlocked everything that was available for unlocking. Basically what I'm saying is that Tekken 4 is sheet and I had done everything that was of interest to me.
Thu 28/08/03 at 22:13
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
I'm looking forward to using Nightmare again. ;-) I was never beaten on Soul Caliber as him - even in the arcade.

Plus the new characters look damn good too and the quest mode where you collect new weapons really adds life to the game. :-)

And of course out of the 3 exclusive characters, I'm happy with the Xbox getting Spawn as he's definatly the most impressive of the 3 in my opinion. ;-)
Thu 28/08/03 at 22:12
Regular
Soul Calibur runs off exactly the same engine as Tekken but the only difference is the weapons and characters. Tekken 4 is a modified engine of Soul Calibur as was Tekken Tag.

Soul Calibur is boring and after playing Dead or Alive 3 reverting back to Soul Calibur was always going to make it look pi*s poor. What made Dead or Alive 3 such a good game was the survival mode. Instead of starting a ew round for every character they just continually jumped onto the moving lift and it was awesome to see how far you got. I managed to complete the 100 characters in Tag and I got 78 on single. Apparently my score on Tag was the better than those in OXM according to a mate. I still play it to this day for the survival mode.
Thu 28/08/03 at 22:08
Regular
You completed Tekken 4 in one night? Including Force mode + story mode with all characters + survival mode + time attack + unlocked everything? Liar is a harsh word but you are talking an*l on this one.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.