GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Call of Duty, The Next Medal of Honour?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Call Of Duty'.
Sat 30/08/03 at 13:37
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Well I think so anyway.

I've read allot about Call of Duty over the past few months and everything I've read seems to suggest this is shaping up to be one hell of a game. It's a WW2 based FPS, created by ex members of 2015 who previously worked on MOH: Allied Assault.

The game itself is based around the closing years of the war, it spans 4 campaigns which take you from Normandy, straight into Berlin which is the overall objective of the game. The game also lets you play three different sides as you advance through occupied Europe, the ever present Americans, The (Finally we get a mention) British and perhaps best of the lot Russians, where you get fight through the ruined city streets of Stalingrad which looks, from the screenshots I've seen, amazing.

There's also more of an emphasis on team play in the game since in most battles you'll be accompanied by squads of fellow soldiers. The developers have also promised that some battles will include up to 300 troops on screen at one time which sounds hefty but will amazing if they pull it off.

Still, if you have yet to hear, or even see this game there is a demo out now which was released late last night.

It's got one level and sees you as part of a squad of US paratroopers the night before the Normandy beach landings. It's a great demo that really gives you feel of how the final game will play, plenty of high octane action as you fight through hedgerows and towns as you approach the objective to destroy 3 Anti-Aircraft guns. Try one of the links below to get the demo:

http://www.loadedinc.com/news.php?id=2256

http://www.computergames.ro/ download.php?optiune=show_download&did=1946

http://games.tiscali.cz/clanek/demo.asp?id=6089

Official Site:
http://www.callofduty.com/pc/main.html
Sat 30/08/03 at 20:08
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Belldandy wrote:
> What I meant though, was that MOH has done the whole war in Europe
> thing, we've fought around burnt out towns, french villages, bridges
> etc, and just being able to lean around corners doesn't make much
> difference to me.

I get your point, the demo level did feel overly familiar in terms of setting, although I felt the level on a whole was much better designed than those found in the MOH games.

I also don't use the leaning function much myself, but I always try to use the prone position as often as I can, I like the increase in accuracy you get. That was something you couldn't do in Allied Assault.

> Medal Of Honour Rising Sun interests me far more, it's a different
> conflict, so different scenery etc

A different setting would be nice, though I'm more interested in how much the game itself will change if at all. I think the Pacific Assault looks great and has some nice ideas going, but I'm not sure about the arcade style game-play I think I've had my fill of it now.

But on the same subject, I'd love to see some WW2 games based on the African campaign or try to recreate battles like Operation Market Garden or The Battle of the Bulge. I think there have been too many recent WW2 games that seem to linger around D-Day.
Sat 30/08/03 at 22:15
Regular
My freinds.
That's the best WW2 game I've played to date.
I will order at once.
Sat 30/08/03 at 22:55
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I can't wait to try the Stalingrad levels in the final release, fighting through that city should see the most intense fighting of the game, and the opening level itself resembles the boat crossing scene from the film Enemy at the Gate.
Sun 31/08/03 at 11:52
Regular
"Best Price @ GAME :"
I think they should do one based around Dunkirk, instead of the usual end of the war is coming stuff.
Sun 31/08/03 at 12:06
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Yeah, it would make for a much more interesting game, especially since you'd be playing a side which actually lost a battle. In fact, why not make a WW2 game where you play as the germans? that's make things far more interesting.
Sun 31/08/03 at 12:10
Regular
Well, I haven't downloaded the demo, yet :P I'll download it later but from what you guys say it sounds sorta like MOH meets CDS (Conflict Desert Storm) as in you can go prone to increase accuracy etc.
Sun 31/08/03 at 12:18
Regular
"A man with a stick"
It's actually more like MOH meats Operation Flashpoint. Craking demo, I've played through 10 times already, but the release date for the full game isn't until late 2003.
Sun 31/08/03 at 12:23
Regular
Never played Operation Flashpoint :(
Sun 31/08/03 at 12:30
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Try it, it's in a special gold edition now with all the expansion packs and add-on bundled together, well worth a buy. Though it does get incredibly realistic at times, the sheer variaty of the missions is worht the cost of the game alone.

You can play as a soldier, a tank commander, a commando, a pilot, a driver ect.. and it comes with great, wide open battles for you to plough through. Recommended.
Sun 31/08/03 at 12:31
Regular
Well, sounds interesting but how much is it? I'm currently saving up to buy LAN.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.