GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"pick your brains "LIVE""

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 31/08/03 at 09:58
Regular
"none as yet"
trying to sort out my set up! have to buy my own modem (my p/c died in a pethetic puff of smoke!)because bt doesn't surplie. the cheapest one i can find was at Maccro's for £95.Any serious draw-backs by not running it through a p/c?!!!!
Sun 31/08/03 at 16:50
Regular
"All about the Beats"
You on msn messenger?

im on [email protected]
Sun 31/08/03 at 16:47
Regular
"All about the Beats"
Well i will probley bring me Xbox downstairs, if i use it for Live. Which aint too much hassle.

Plus i have too many cables in my bedroom anyway!
Sun 31/08/03 at 16:45
Regular
"Best Price @ GAME :"
You're definitely okay then, I assume the Pc is downstairs and the Xbox upstairs ? GAME does a 10m pack of the correct ethernet cable on their site.
Sun 31/08/03 at 16:41
Regular
"All about the Beats"
As soon as i plug in the power to the modem it runs on itself, dont need a PC.

Its the one that comes with NTL. It Rules.
Sun 31/08/03 at 16:37
Regular
Yup, you won't need a router, though how do you connect to broadband ? Do you switch the modem on and it auto connects ?
Sun 31/08/03 at 16:20
Regular
"All about the Beats"
Just got to figure out how to get the cable from downstairs to upstairs!
Sun 31/08/03 at 16:07
Regular
"All about the Beats"
Belldandy wrote:
> but I regularly use Live whilst
> someone is on the PC surfing and have no problems.

I doubt that this will be a problem to be honest. If i connect through this way then, i wont need to spend £99 on a router! (am i right?)

:D
Sun 31/08/03 at 16:05
Regular
In that case you can use both at the same time, though some tasks like downloading 'may' impact performance, basically tou've only got so much broadband band width to use, but I regularly use Live whilst someone is on the PC surfing and have no problems.
Sun 31/08/03 at 15:53
Regular
"All about the Beats"
Belldandy wrote:
> Depends, does you modem have an ethernet port on it ?

Yep USB and a Ethernet port.
Sun 31/08/03 at 15:52
Regular
DreamWarBird wrote:
> Xbox live uses Ethernet connection right?

Yes

> Well my modem uses USB to connect to my comp, so does that mean i can
> have my ethernet and usb running at the same time?

Depends, does you modem have an ethernet port on it ?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.